IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"strong" Sunlight vs temprature in regards to growth

Palmfarmer

Hey, as seen in my profile i live up in the mountains. it does not get very cold in the winter but like 15-20 normally. however the sun is still pretty damn strong since i am at around 24 degrees north. where does the lining go for most palms in regard to strong sunlight vs temprature? as an extreme example would let say a washintonia surivive and grow way up in the mountains at the  Equator at a constant of lets say 15-20 celcius year around with clear skies most of the time and would it do well? Kind of hard to explain this, but i hope someone understands my question, thanks

Would a palm let say go doormat at the Equator if we went even higher up to a place where the temps would be a constant 10+ but really strong sunlight. Would it just go doormat and die or would it grow? 

Edited by Palmfarmer

20 minutes ago, Palmfarmer said:

as an extreme example would let say a washintonia surivive and grow way up in the mountains at the  Equator at a constant of lets say 15-20 celcius year around with clear skies most of the time and would it do well? Kind of hard to explain this, but i hope someone understands my question, thanks

Would a palm let say go doormat at the Equator if we went even higher up to a place where the temps would be a constant 10+ but really strong sunlight. Would it just go doormat and die or would it grow? 

Hi, Bogota Colombia is around 10-20C year round with most of the days grey skies and rain. They have some large robusta's, phoenix and even more king palms. I have never seen a queen though. 

Edited by Axel Amsterdam

1 minute ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

Hi, Bogota Colombia is around 10-20C year round with most of the days grey skies and rain. They have large robusta's and even more king palms. I have never seen a queen though. 

Yeah Bogota is a good example perhaps i totally forgot about it. do you now the growth rate of things there? 

Large kings in the previous link (later both were removed). I think palms are kind of slow there. best to compare with street view. There are quite a number of kings in the center. 

There you go, small robusta's and kings in one location. Streetview shows they are not very fast after 5 years of growth.

https://goo.gl/maps/2NsBmMDHxv4aN2Y97

These kings planted in front of an apparent building are more impressive though, in 5 years

https://goo.gl/maps/2i59KcmvnvjFRXCn6

Edited by Axel Amsterdam

yes those kings are impressive thanks! you have any suggestion for sunnier place near the ecuator with sunny wheater and 10-20c all the time? 

Edited by Palmfarmer