• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Special Christmas offer

Phoenikakias

Free Guihaia argyrata seeds. Europe only. I keep gathering fruits, as they mature gradually. Only for those people, who have enormous patience to await seed germination and subsequent seedling growth lol

20191208_162158.jpg

Edited by Phoenikakias
Correction
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Hi Konstantinos,

i would like to try these. Patience is not a problem as I have Butia seeds sleeping for two years now.

Thanks for this great offer

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

I would like some. Always wanted that species, but almost impossible to find. 

Edited by Cikas

6 hours ago, yeye said:

Hi Konstantinos

If you have a few i would be interested in ! 

Regards

Olivier

Write in a PM your address.

4 hours ago, Zifool said:

Hi !

Have u seen my PM ?

best regards

Zifool ^_^

Of course, I still gather seeds and requests...

• Like 1

Soil is slightly to moderately alkaline.  Orientation south-west.  Soil is naturally mixed with stones, but it has been somehow amended by long time cultivation. I apply every year a fertilizer richer in potassium and poorer in Phosphorus. That's all.

Edited by Phoenikakias

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Any chance you might still have a few Guihaia seeds that I could persuade you into sending over the pond?

Regards,

Clay

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

On 12/12/2019 at 1:26 AM, Phoenikakias said:

Free Guihaia argyrata seeds. Europe only. I keep gathering fruits, as they mature gradually. Only for those people, who have enormous patience to await seed germination and subsequent seedling growth lol

20191208_162158.jpg

Hello,

Any chance you might still have a few Guihaia seeds that I could persuade you into sending over the pond? I have a 5 year old Guihaia that needs a companion or two. Has done well here in Texas.

Regards,

Clay

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

• 2 weeks later...

I have so far received 13 requests of European people.  Please do not send any more requests for now until those older ones are satisfied. If and when I pile up a new sufficient stock of seeds, this topic will revive.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have gathered up over the last two months enough seeds and since all interested people can get a fair amount of seeds, I will start mail envelopes. Fruits and seeds are very small and covering up a real minute volume.

20200212_073920.jpg

• Upvote 2

I have prepared 13 envelopes, which will be brought to post office tomorrow.  So far 3 guys from the Netherlands and France respectively, two guys from UK (wondering whether this name will persist after Brexit), Croatia and Germany respectively and one guy from Spain are among the recipients. Any requests from outside Europe will not be satisfied for the time being.

Hi Konstantinos, 

J've good recept seeds, and paid u the shipping normally !

have u idea the range of temperature for germination ?

Thanks a lot

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Zifool said:

Hi Konstantinos, 

J've good recept seeds, and paid u the shipping normally !

have u idea the range of temperature for germination ?

Thanks a lot

I can only say, what I have written privately to another recipient of the seeds: Frankly no reliable advice available.  I have only managed to germinate one seed out of three from a previous harvest by fluctuating temperature in my propagator 4 times daily with max temp not exceeding 32 C and in a substrate 50%  coir and 50% perlite, if I remember correctly.  It is possible that seeds behave like those of Brahea and Butia and need hibernation before they germinate during following summer outdoors.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

I can only say, what I have written privately to another recipient of the seeds: Frankly no reliable advice available.  I have only managed to germinate one seed out of three from a previous harvest by fluctuating temperature in my propagator 4 times daily with max temp not exceeding 32 C and in a substrate 50%  coir and 50% perlite, if I remember correctly.  It is possible that seeds behave like those of Brahea and Butia and need hibernation before they germinate during following summer outdoors.

My memory has failed me miserably.  Thank God that this forum has an excellent data bank. In this old topic, you will find my true practice: 

19 hours ago, Cikas said:

I got the seeds today.

Thank you Konstantinos!

You are at the doorstep of my land and seeds took almost two weeks longer to arrive than in France, UK and Germany?!!? So much for the common market inside the EU, it's only a shame. There is no excuse or reason for this discrepancy other than preserving old privilege.

Edited by Phoenikakias

4 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

You are at the doorstep of my land and seeds took almost two weeks longer to arrive than in France, UK and Germany?!!? So much for the common market inside the EU, it's only a shame. There is no excuse or reason for this discrepancy other than preserving old privilege.

I agree. 

Bonjour

France have a better service postal at the time. 6/days for week

But in the futur for money, only  4 days  in thé week  for priority mail.

Its service public. But today Europe  break service for more money.....

• 3 months later...

Hmmm, to low germination rate so far, given the quantity of available seeds. I wonder whether this is inherent to the sp.

Two germinated here. One back in March and one a couple of weeks ago.

• Upvote 1

Ciao

Giovanni

Noci (BA) Italia

350m a.s.l.

Zone 8b

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally I got one seedling out of all seeds.

It grows extremely slowly.

Thank you Konstantinos20201031_093716.thumb.jpg.df9a92ff08de7a552822d7700ff80eb9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/31/2020 at 10:41 AM, Palmensammler said:

Finally I got one seedling out of all seeds.

It grows extremely slowly.

Thank you Konstantinos20201031_093716.thumb.jpg.df9a92ff08de7a552822d7700ff80eb9.jpg

Late is better than never!

• 3 weeks later...

16 doing great here in Speyer :greenthumb:. I had another badge from China and the germination rate was about the same. Thanks again Konstantinos :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the first one was only the scout to check the conditions.  They seem to be o.k.  so seven more seeds started to germinate. Hope some more will follow.

Will take a picture once they show green.

Eckhard

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Today I was looking after the seeds and currently 10 babies said "Hello" to daddy. But more are at the first stage of germination and will pop up too. Will take a picture tomorrow.

I'm so happy. Thanks again to @Phoenikakias

Eckhard

• Upvote 2