IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some palm photos from today in zone 10a

cbmnz

Condolences to those on the East coast of Australia, the bushfires must be huge, as they have been making our skies very hazy, 3000km away. Since Monday however a change of wind has brought clear air from Southern ocean again.

Took a drive to the adjacent coast today on a day off. This area is a solid 10a but is cooler than inland in the first half of summer especially.

Photos taken in Raqlan, NZ.

20191211_122250.jpg

This and another Phoenix just out of sight had self seeded, I think.

20191211_195224.jpg

Definitely a self seeding, right against the fence, being allowed to grow for now, but days will be numbered for it. 

20191211_195245.jpg

Huge Norfolk pines about 100 years old. They seem to be a 9A tree down here, plenty of large ones present well inland too.

20191211_195306.jpg

Queen and washies. Bananas stay green year round and fruit in this area (although not quite commercially viable)

20191211_115401.jpg

Row of CIDP planted 1923.

20191211_195044.jpg

Don't know what the thing on the right is but the leaves are about 60cm (2ft) long.

20191211_115059.jpg

A king palm and the much loved native Metrosideros excelsa in flower.

20191211_114644.jpg

An old Rhopalostylis sapida, showing how they tend to end up looking in gardens if have no shelter or shade. Some don't mind this look but I like them a little more open.

Edited by cbmnz
Caption the photos
  • Like 16
  • Upvote 5

Fantastic photos of a lovely place. Thanks.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

6 hours ago, ruskinPalms said:

I love the palms but every one of these shots has great composition. Are you a pro photographer? 

LOL, no, just an average Joe Bloggs with a smartphone. I did give these shots a little crop and straighten here and there before posting. Guess I've probably started to copy how the pros compose their shots, without realising it. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sandgroper said:

Beautiful photos mate! Condolences for our Kiwi brothers with the volcano on White Island, it's terrible.

Yes, been hard to take that. Could have easily been someone I know, plenty I do know have done that tour.  It's only a bit under a 2hr drive to where the boat leaves from, could do it in a day trip. Would have done it myself without hesitation if someone had invited/suggested.

• Like 2

the plant on the right is ficus dameropsis. great stuff

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Nelson/Tasman/Motueka today - like a lot of coastal New Zealand, this would be theoretically 10a but without the heat stats of the US South for example. This is the southernmost city of New Zealand that would be considered 'palmy'. Queen Palms are a common street planting, CIDP everywhere, washies, butia, even Archontophoenix and Kentia looked exceptionally healthy.

Latitude is 41.3S.

20191213_135513.thumb.jpg.637795e1e69b095e46e5379373e755e0.jpg

20191213_135522.thumb.jpg.9f07a2e351ecce36833fdc577d582f22.jpg

20191213_141340.thumb.jpg.1e58e0bb36dbef6f33bde6793d5b1411.jpg

20191213_130940.thumb.jpg.f068560093b44de662d1990c82226c96.jpg

20191213_141140.thumb.jpg.91eac144e0525078fe6f23b8a8a7275f.jpg

20191213_142511.thumb.jpg.230f0771021adbd58ab0cff5d837627f.jpg

20191213_140642.thumb.jpg.22276d7ea1516f91ee5bb6ea91b976f2.jpg

20191213_121455.thumb.jpg.bb9fda33eb163b16895dbaf4b2f6e960.jpg

20191213_142511.jpg

Edited by sipalms
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Yeah. I was very surprised to see 10m tall healthy Kentia there in "The Wood" neighbourhood.  By Richmond though seemed to only be Queens and hardier. Think the frosts there vary over short distances quite dramatically.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cbmnz said:

Yeah. I was very surprised to see 10m tall healthy Kentia there in "The Wood" neighbourhood.  By Richmond though seemed to only be Queens and hardier. Think the frosts there vary over short distances quite dramatically.

Yes, although there was Archontophoenix growing on the flat in Richmond. I guess there's no risk of a killing frost there, only frosts that might damage older fronds.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/13/2019 at 5:21 AM, Stevetoad said:

the plant on the right is ficus dameropsis. great stuff

Thanks for the ID. See that species is from the highlands in the tropics so very coastal NZ is a reasonable approximation  of its home.

• Like 1

Is there any place in New Zealand where Coconut Palms would be viable, especially some of the more cold hardy Tall varieties, like the Indian Tall from the New Delhi area, or the Green Variety of Hawaiian Tall, or the Mexican Tall, or Jamaican Tall, or Panama Tall, or Maypan?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Is there any place in New Zealand where Coconut Palms would be viable, especially some of the more cold hardy Tall varieties, like the Indian Tall from the New Delhi area, or the Green Variety of Hawaiian Tall, or the Mexican Tall, or Jamaican Tall, or Panama Tall, or Maypan?

John,

At 40° south latitude, I can only wish the northern-most part of the country, Cape Rainga @ 34° could be the only probable/potential place, with supplemental heating, to sustain a coconut palm .  Lord of the Rings was filmed in New Zealand because it mimics uninhabited central Europe.  

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

6 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

In a word,  no. The winters are mild in places but not warm enough on average. As I understand you need an average high of 20C or higher in every month of the year. No place in NZ comes close to that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

A few years ago a coconut self seeded on a beach on NZ's offshore territory  Kermadec Island at 29S and grew for a few years before dying. That is the closest there has ever been to a coconut palm growing in NZ.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, cbmnz said:

A few years ago a coconut self seeded on a beach on NZ's offshore territory  Kermadec Island at 29S and grew for a few years before dying. That is the closest there has ever been to a coconut palm growing in NZ.

Thanks.  I seem to recall reading about that one and seeing a pic or two of it in a thread here several years ago.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A few more shots, these from the famous tourist city of Rotorua which is in a caldera at 300m (1000ft) , so gets some decent frosts at times. Didn't see any any Archontophoenix but no reason they should not grow there since they do well here. Bougainvillea growing above concrete but with no overhead cover suggests that too.

I was imagining a coconut growing on the edge of one of the many boiling mudpools and steaming open hot water springs around :)

20191226_143647.jpg

20191226_143046.jpg

20191226_142745.jpg

• Like 1

Have you seen any Jubaea in your travels?

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

No, not yet. I'm aware there are some in Auckland. Not sure where else in the country.

• Like 1

Had a look out for palms in Matamata today, a smaller town that is fairly frosty in winter.  Still, saw at least one bouganvilea vine thriving with no overhead cover. I noticed some  Rhopalostylis planted in a public area last summer so went back to see how they had got through the winter. They looked great and actually looking again look more like R. Baueri (see last photo) making it even more remarkable they doing so well.

20200102_220655.jpg

20200102_155845.jpg

20200102_154552.jpg

20200102_154104.jpg

20200102_153915.jpg

• Like 2

Yea, surely somebody's got to be growing Archontophoenix in their yard in Rotorua. Heck if I lived there I'd try. 

These look like Jubaea. Growing in Orewa. north Auckland.001.jpg.42a28299f485980411a4f201005f4bb2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, my first post! :)

Was down in Taranaki recently (i assume it would also be Zone 10a), quite a few nice palms down there but a ton of Nikau especially...

mffBiRG.jpg

lycpzmB.jpg

Ynyk4Gs.jpg

Does anyone know what these palms below are - kentia? they look great

1NBv2ge.jpg

b095vOL.jpg

OiSm94d.jpg

EqKS5LT.jpg

nz0DnAi.jpg

Edited by Palms_03
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Welcome to the forum. Good to have another NZ based member. Those palms in shade look like Kentia but could be Howea belmoreana also.  Nikau must love Taranaki, lack of cold and heat, and regular rainfalls that often continue through the summer as well.

• Like 1

Archontophoenix at Ayrlies Garden in suburban Auckland.  Not a great photo, but fairly jarring among all the temperate plants.  Also saw some at the Hamilton Garden.

1613408887_Ayrliesarchontophoenix(1of1)-2.thumb.jpg.84cd48cebf248d3a3ae33ad8d2864d5d.jpglanl

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

15 hours ago, Dave-Vero said: atArchontophoenix Ayrlies Garden in suburban Auckland.  Not a great photo, but fairly jarring among all the temperate plants.  Also saw some at the Hamilton Garden.

1613408887_Ayrliesarchontophoenix(1of1)-2.thumb.jpg.84cd48cebf248d3a3ae33ad8d2864d5d.jpglanl

Yes, they can look strange here in mid winter when surrounded by bare deciduous trees. They have a sprinkler system to protect the tropical garden at Hamilton gardens where you saw those, but would hardly have turned it on the last three winters. Plenty of Archontophoenix tower in the surrounding areas unprotected, but streetview shows most took crown damage in 2009, when a week of harder frosts occurred.

• Like 2

Mine had crown damage in 2010-11 when we had cold weather with cold rain followed after an interval y -3C (26 F).  Our climate is reasonably similar to Brisbane.

The Hamilton Garden was a questionable stop--so many natural history places to see--but it's a remarkable combo of permissive climate and showmanship.  Here in Florida, Disney and a few other tourist attractions pay serious attention to displaying plants.  Hamilton has the same sort of showmanship.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 12:42 AM, PalmCode said:

Yea, surely somebody's got to be growing Archontophoenix in their yard in Rotorua. Heck if I lived there I'd try. 

These look like Jubaea. Growing in Orewa. north Auckland.001.jpg.42a28299f485980411a4f201005f4bb2.jpg

Ravenea rivularis. Jubaea would have much thicker trunks. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

7 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

I was about to say the same thing. Good to see Ravenea rivularis that big in NZ. I wonder if they fruit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

23 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Oh true, thanks for the correction there. Good to know what what those palms are now.

16 hours ago, Tyrone said:

I was about to say the same thing. Good to see Ravenea rivularis that big in NZ. I wonder if they fruit.

Yea maybe, I can't say. I'll keep a look out out for any.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/17/2019 at 5:36 PM, GottmitAlex said:

John,

At 40° south latitude, I can only wish the northern-most part of the country, Cape Rainga @ 34° could be the only probable/potential place, with supplemental heating, to sustain a coconut palm .  Lord of the Rings was filmed in New Zealand because it mimics uninhabited central Europe.  

The snide cynic in me was going to go into a rambling rant about how Northland New Zealand's climate is rapidly changing from temperate subtropical to full tropical, coupled with dozens and dozens of photos of beautiful white sandy beaches, lush jungle and lots of zone 10 palms.....but I won't!!

In all seriousness the lord of the Rings scenery is mostly in the snowy highlands of the south island. There is no similarity to the terrain and climate of Northland.

I have spent a lot of time in Northland for business over the last few years, and I seriously wonder that there are some places with enough of a unique micro climate up there, that could sustain a coconut with some assistance. At least for the short-mid term. Some people need to give it a shot. At the end of the day, Cape Reinga is just 0.6 degrees different to the Corona CA latitude. Yes, the heat is no where near in summer, but there is no risk of killing frosts in winter.

On 12/17/2019 at 2:23 AM, cbmnz said:

In a word,  no. The winters are mild in places but not warm enough on average. As I understand you need an average high of 20C or higher in every month of the year. No place in NZ comes close to that.

In your house!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 1/14/2020 at 7:10 PM, Dave-Vero said:

Archontophoenix at Ayrlies Garden in suburban Auckland.  Not a great photo, but fairly jarring among all the temperate plants.  Also saw some at the Hamilton Garden.

Kinda like our Nor Callian Palm Talkers up north!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 1/14/2020 at 1:30 AM, Palms_03 said:

Hi everyone, my first post! :)

Was down in Taranaki recently (i assume it would also be Zone 10a), quite a few nice palms down there but a ton of Nikau especially...

mffBiRG.jpg

lycpzmB.jpg

Ynyk4Gs.jpg

Does anyone know what these palms below are - kentia? they look great

1NBv2ge.jpg

b095vOL.jpg

OiSm94d.jpg

EqKS5LT.jpg

nz0DnAi.jpg

Welcome to the forums!

See my PM (private message)!

On 1/20/2020 at 3:34 PM, DoomsDave said:

In your house!

You dont know NZ houses :) Actually I'm one who spends what ever is necessary to keep indoors comfortable and warm all year, but get asked sometimes why do I "waste money" doing that. I dont get it either.

On 1/20/2020 at 12:09 PM, sipalms said:

The snide cynic in me was going to go into a rambling rant about how Northland New Zealand's climate is rapidly changing from temperate subtropical to full tropical, coupled with dozens and dozens of photos of beautiful white sandy beaches, lush jungle and lots of zone 10 palms.....but I won't!!

In all seriousness the lord of the Rings scenery is mostly in the snowy highlands of the south island. There is no similarity to the terrain and climate of Northland.

I have spent a lot of time in Northland for business over the last few years, and I seriously wonder that there are some places with enough of a unique micro climate up there, that could sustain a coconut with some assistance. At least for the short-mid term. Some people need to give it a shot. At the end of the day, Cape Reinga is just 0.6 degrees different to the Corona CA latitude. Yes, the heat is no where near in summer, but there is no risk of killing frosts in winter.

Have just spent 1.5 weeks in Northland recently. Did see some old Nikau in full sun with fronds only 60cm (2ft) long, but in part or full shade they are just beautiful as anywhere else. 

20200126_123451.jpg

20200118_142213.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2019 at 11:15 PM, sipalms said:

Yes, although there was Archontophoenix growing on the flat in Richmond. I guess there's no risk of a killing frost there, only frosts that might damage older fronds.

Spotted another Kentia growing in Hamilton city, only the third that I know off.  They must be one more click more frost tender than Archontophoenix.

20200205_184007.jpg

• Like 2

On my two visits to NZ, I noticed that New Zealanders were living at ambient temperatures (cool) and was careful to do like the locals.  Actually, I'd long been prepped for that by friends who had moved from Portland, Oregon to Christchurch.  They've been  back in Portland for quite a while (she has a fine job) but expect to move back at some point.  

Northland surprised me with kelp growing near mangroves and, with cultivated plants, Douglas-firs right next to poinsettias and bromeliads.  Weird.  

I'm surprised at DoomsDave being in Taranaki.  I went through there rather too quickly a while back, having spent a couple of extra days in Wellington recovering from a knee injury to the point where I could drive comfortably.  The area seemed a bit off the beaten path for US-type tourists.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took a photo of what could be a Bismarck palm in Auckland. If it is then it's the first Iv'e seen in the area. The leaves do look more silver in real life than this pic.

IMG_20200217_113213v.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PalmCode said:

Took a photo of what could be a Bismarck palm in Auckland. If it is then it's the first Iv'e seen in the area. The leaves do look more silver in real life than this pic.

IMG_20200217_113213v.jpg

I found a bismark in Papakura a couple months ago but was in such a rush I couldn't stop for a photo and haven't been back since! Was a similar size to this, possibly a bit larger and trunkier.

Where in AKL is that one?