Sign in to follow this  
Tracy

Color variation dependent on time of year

Tracy

I have noticed that the emergent leaf color on my Burretikentia koghiensis seems to be more colorful when they open in cooler times of the year, which also coincide with it never getting direct sunlight.  It is similar to the variations in my hibiscus flowers which open with deeper colors in the winter than during summer.  I haven't really paid much attention to see if my Chambeyronia hookeri exhibit this characteristic but thought I would solicit other comments about experience with colorful emergent leaves and variations dependent or correlated to temperature, time of year or sun exposure.

20191208-104A5201.jpg

• Like 2

sonoranfans

the cause of the color is lack of chlorophyll and presence of anthocyanins(red) and carotenoids(yellow).  I think if the palm isnt actively growing the green(chlorophyll) will be slow in synthesis the leaf .  Low PAR will limit the rate at some point.

Tracy

Chambeyronia houailou showing about as much color as this one ever does.  The color on this plant tends to be much more  subtle than this leaf opening in mid December, but houiailou's are known more for their shape than the emergent leaf's color.

20191216-104A5289.jpg

20191216-104A5285.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

The Gerg
10 hours ago, Tracy said:

20191216-104A5285.jpg

She’s a beauty.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• TomJ
      By TomJ
      Walking around today I stopped to admire the new colorful leaf.

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      It is interesting to see the diversity within a species.  I'm growing a couple of Encephalartos sclavoi.  Perhaps due to age, the older one shows very few spines on the leaflets, even though the younger one still has about a 6" caudex and it's leaflets are loaded with spines.  I hope the smaller one grows out of the spiny leaf and develops a leaf like the older one... I will get a reveal when the next flush finishes opening.  The other thing I doubt will change is that the older one opens with a colorful chocolate mocha fuzzy flush, while the younger spiny form has an attractive fuzzy green flush.  It's not hard to see which color is preferred.

• Josh-O
      By Josh-O
      Well I decided to actually pull some weeds the other day. For a while I was pulling the Bill  in my garden 
      I was weeding around my burretiokentia koghiensis and noticed a bunch of leaf bases were loose and ready to come off. I had no idea that I was going to find solid woody rings of trunk. I have been waiting a very long time just to get my first ring a trunk let alone finding 11 rings under all the messy leaf bases.
      I also noticed I have two flower Spathes pushing up. I was very excited to see all this goodness today.

please enjoy the pictures below

• Kim
      By Kim
      Thanks to palmislandRandy's great thread about the explosive growth of his D. prestoniana, plus Philippe's Bentinckia nicobarica series, I was inspired to go back and dig up photos from the past. This series of photos shows my one Dypsis prestoniana each year since planting.

March 12, 2010

February 8, 2011

January 6, 2012

June 30, 2013

July 18, 2014

• palmislandRandy
      By palmislandRandy
      Some recent photos of my other passion. Kinda dresses up that bare ground under my palms, don't ya think?

-Randy