IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Thick trunk (Jubaea x Butia)

swolf

Most of the Jubaea x Butia F1 are thick-trunked (if this base has fully expanded).  Not to west.coast, pure Jubaea proportions of course.  Early indications in loosened leaf bases make me think this cross will eventually present a clean truck.  A few more vertical feet would probably make for an optimal ‘specimen palm’.  What do you think?

I’ll need a professional partner with the right equipment/experience to handle such heavy palms.  Standard 5 ft. shovel leaned against trunk.  This palm has more recurving fronds than some of the others.

1087377A-6ED8-4BCF-AB81-87E1D8D4381A.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Upvote 1

I would imagine it eventually will have a clean trunk, even butia in the SE humidity eventually clean off. My hunch is it will clean off sooner then butia sp, especially since Jubaea is the mommy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2019 at 12:01 PM, swolf said:

Most of the Jubaea x Butia F1 are thick-trunked (if this base has fully expanded).  Not to west.coast, pure Jubaea proportions of course.  Early indications in loosened leaf bases make me think this cross will eventually present a clean truck.  A few more vertical feet would probably make for an optimal ‘specimen palm’.  What do you think?

I’ll need a professional partner with the right equipment/experience to handle such heavy palms.  Standard 5 ft. shovel leaned against trunk.  This palm has more recurving fronds than some of the others.

Do you think it's started to go vertical or is the trunk still expanding? Also I would presume that a JXB would have to be quite old to flower much more so then a BXJ as Jubaea can take decades to do so, where a butia can flower while still quite young. It will be interesting to see at what age these flower. BXJ F1 is considered sterile but I don't know about the reverse. The long time to flower is one reason I don't think we have seen a ((JxB)xS) yet. At least I haven't. I don't think Patric has done this cross, perhaps @Ben in Norcal would know for sure. 

the leaves are a bit recurved for a JxB F1 but I know there is variation.  They are more recurved than my (BxJ)xJ with the BxJ mom from patrick shaeffer.  Its a beauty for sure.  The B x J grown by one of the top hybrid breeders, Merill WIlcox RIP, had flatter less recurved leaves.  They also didnt corkscrew like that one.  But that one looks like it has a huge leaves!  Here is an old post where merill shows off several of his J x B.   

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

3 hours ago, RJ said:

Do you think it's started to go vertical or is the trunk still expanding? Also I would presume that a JXB would have to be quite old to flower much more so then a BXJ as Jubaea can take decades to do so, where a butia can flower while still quite young. It will be interesting to see at what age these flower. BXJ F1 is considered sterile but I don't know about the reverse. The long time to flower is one reason I don't think we have seen a ((JxB)xS) yet. At least I haven't. I don't think Patric has done this cross, perhaps @Ben in Norcal would know for sure. 

Good opening question, I’m not sure myself — may still be expanding in both directions.  

While your assumptions about JxB F1 are generally correct, this palm recently began flowering.  Look closely at the trunk photo and you will see a tan (tomentum covered) spathe on the right side.  Other siblings also started flowering.  That’s why I’ve begun the process of talking with hybridizers and growers within a reasonable proximity of Volusia county.  I don’t have time to capitalize on the opportunity, but I did produce (JxB)xS seed in a test of sorts.  The F1s are self-sterile as expected but do respond to Queen pollen.

Steve

D14CE080-3247-4CAD-919B-650ECB692557.jpeg

3 minutes ago, swolf said:

Good opening question, I’m not sure myself — may still be expanding in both directions.  

While your assumptions about JxB F1 are generally correct, this palm recently began flowering.  Look closely at the trunk photo and you will see a tan (tomentum covered) spathe on the right side.  Other siblings also started flowering.  That’s why I’ve begun the process of talking with hybridizers and growers within a reasonable proximity of Volusia county.  I don’t have time to capitalize on the opportunity, but I did produce (JxB)xS seed in a test of sorts.  The F1s are self-sterile as expected but do respond to Queen pollen.

Steve

D14CE080-3247-4CAD-919B-650ECB692557.jpeg

Very exciting! Have you cracked them to see if they are viable? I thought I might of seen a spathe but wasn't sure, now that I look I can see it on the right of the palm.  If they're viable and your looking for someone to test them I'm sure willing ;)

3 hours ago, RJ said:

Very exciting! Have you cracked them to see if they are viable? I thought I might of seen a spathe but wasn't sure, now that I look I can see it on the right of the palm.  If they're viable and your looking for someone to test them I'm sure willing ;)

Count me in too haha would definitely buy some seedlings when available =) 

T J 

Thanks for your comments.  I haven’t cracked any seeds open (which often=destruction) since I’m confident these are viable.  Jubaea x Butia is a fertile hybrid for out-crosses — F2 generations exist for both BxJ and JxB.  But if more exotic (while plausible) pollen source is attempted, my understanding is that problems show earlier on — limited seed formation or premature seed drop. 

Sonorafans, yes, just variation despite the same JxB F1 parentage.  Most (exact) siblings have less recurve than this one.  But they’re generally attractive in their own way.  Like you I also have BJxJ.  While most have straight leaves, here’s a photo I previously posted of a curvy one:

IMG_0582.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I was digging through some of my saved photo's from old posts. These are in Kalifornia. The one on the left is a  (JXB) the one on the right is a (BXJ). I think the middle one is a (JXB) as well This should give you an idea of the trunk size. Without a Jubaea next to them hard to compare, but regardless, big beautiful palms! 

JxB vs BxJ.jpg

Edited by RJ
  • Like 8

• 4 months later...
On 12/20/2019 at 3:13 PM, RJ said:

I was digging through some of my saved photo's from old posts. These are in Kalifornia. The one on the left is a  (JXB) the one on the right is a (BXJ). I think the middle one is a (JXB) as well This should give you an idea of the trunk size. Without a Jubaea next to them hard to compare, but regardless, big beautiful palms! 

JxB vs BxJ.jpg

Nice pics RJ. Tell me, where in California are they,  town, street etc.; I'd like to view them on Google Street View. ? howfam

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

Closer photo of trunk just before sunset.  Diameter seems close to 3 ft. but I really haven’t measured:

Steve

More photos here:

8C442B80-9825-44BA-A619-B205C90D8B33.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Great looking palm indeed....   IMHO the Jub characteristics are clearly dominate.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2019 at 12:01 PM, swolf said:

1087377A-6ED8-4BCF-AB81-87E1D8D4381A.jpeg