IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Patric Schafer

buffy

Doesn't seem like he's answering emails right now. Anybody know what's up? He usually answers within a week or two. I have a few emails unanswered for over a month. 

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

10 minutes ago, buffy said:

Doesn't seem like he's answering emails right now. Anybody know what's up? He usually answers within a week or two. I have a few emails unanswered for over a month. 

I touched base with him for an order mid summer and he was prompts at replying. Perhaps he taking a few months off as I imagine this is probably a pretty slow time for palms. (although he is into other plant material as well). As always patients is key with Patric. 

Well that kinda goes with the whole there is no better time then the present, if you get in touch with him. Pull the trigger buy the palms haha I failed to do so and i have none of his hybrids haha 

T J 

He's unprofessional and unreliable.  I tried to place a large order with him several years ago.  During 2 1/2 months of back and forth he was constantly changing the sizes,  numbers,  and prices on the palms that I had ordered.    When I finally thought he had finalized the order I asked for a total with shipping.  I never heard back from him!  I even sent him an e-mail asking about his health and why no reply.   Very unpleasant experience to put it politely!

Whoa guys...slow your roll.  Patric is a hobbiest that is nice enough to spread some of his incredible creations around, when he has the time to do so.  Let's first check the e-mail you are using, as he has changed it.  He always responds to me within 24 hours, and I see him regularly as he is using my yard to hybridize...but he is all over the place doing what he does, so please be patient and know he is not a professional seller or running a business.  He has a life outside of palms.  Moderate expectations accordingly.

Patric is one of the lions of our hobby, and many of my hybrids simply wouldn't exist without him.  There are yards full of palms that wouldn't be without him.  But you should know he's simply one of us and not trying to run a business.  Consider yourself lucky if you get some of his creations.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I agree w Ben 100%, i have nothing but admiration for his work. Patrick is not a store front,  he's not advertising or using this site to push sales. Simply, he's a hobbyist who sells some of his plants. If he chooses not to sell his plants, that is his decision to make. 

• Like 2

On 12/7/2019 at 11:41 AM, Ben in Norcal said:

Whoa guys...slow your roll.  Let's first check the e-mail you are using, as he has changed it.  

Let me send you what I'm using to see if that's the problem.

• Like 1

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

• 4 months later...

I finally pulled the trigger on the world famous Patric hybrids. I am super stoked on what I got. He sent the palms in there containers so no pressure to repot right away. His shipping technique was text book. I feel honored to finally have some of these hybrids B) 

• Upvote 1

T J 

Oh, hail Mary, expletive Patric's plants rock the house, I've got some of his ten year old hybrids, do try to get some.

Have a nice cushion handy for his now-monstrous Jubuteagrus from something other than a B. capitata. Have mercy.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

10 hours ago, jimmyt said:

@OC2Texaspalmlvr are you gonna plant them babies soon?? :D   I am! 

Unfortunately they won't be going into the ground anytime soon =/ once I find my forever home , then yes !! BxPJT went from 4x9 to a 7g upon arrival =) 

20200507_170953.jpg

• Like 2

T J 

I have given Patric a lot of my money, and with good reason! My hybrids are mostly still small, but I foresee a nice pay off in the future.

Purchasing from him is like a nice throwback to a different time. It's almost like arranging for a purchase by mail. Sometimes you don't hear back for a while, and sometimes he initially says he's out of stock but then finds one hidden away somewhere. Have some patience and appreciate him, he's a real gem that this community is lucky to have.

• Like 4

Money can never fully compensate Patric for his tireless efforts and myriad hours of work to develop these palms.   :greenthumb:

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

I am in the choir right behind you signing praises to Patrick and his palms!  :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

TJ, that is spectacular, can't get over the size of that palm right out the gate, well worth the the investment, promises to be a truly stunning palm, you'll have to keep us updates on its progress.

I've been purchasing palms from Patric for over 15 years, late 2004, early 2005 I believe was my first of many orders. One of the first few palms I received was from him was a couple of yatay mules. One of which made its way famously into @_Keith 's garden. His creations and abilities are unprecendented; not to mention he sets the gold standard for quality and packaging.  We are more than lucky to have him in our community and I will continue ordering from him multiple times per year for as long as I'm able.

Michael

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Update on my BxPJT this things is growing like crazy. Already growing roots out the bottom =/ I had no intentions of potting up for awhile o well. Its now taller then my S.Causiarum. I had gathered all my potted palms under my awning just for precautions for TS Beta 

20200920_150739.jpg

• Like 2

T J 

• 1 month later...

I would like to contact Patric to see what hybrids he currently has to sale, if he is currently making anything.   I’m not sure what people have been getting but would like to reach him.  Does anyone have a current email to reach him ? 

thank you 

10 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Patrick Schafer is at     coolhybrids@yahoo.com            :greenthumb:

thats it !!! @Briank let me know if he has any JxS =) 

T J 

4 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

thats it !!! @Briank let me know if he has any JxS =) 

14 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Thank you.   I’ll send him email.    Will check on J&S.   Heard great things would like to try some out. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2020 at 6:25 AM, Darold Petty said:

Verified as current good email address, I just bought palms from him last week.  His communication can be a bit slow, I think because he has to check stock and get back to you to let you know not only sizes, but whether or not the ones available are going pinnate/palmate etc.  And it's Patrick with a "k", not Patric, although he signs his email PATRIX.  His email are short and to the point, I'm sure he's a busy guy, some mistake that for rudeness but I like it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Butia x L. Weddellanium showed up today. Stoked to watch this little green homey erupt. 

Message_1618862543666_2.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just had the pleasure of chatting with Patric for an hour at my house in Vallejo this past weekend while he dropped off a Parajubaea sunkha I’d been looking for the last year, and one of his Butia x Lytocaryum weddelliana. Both palms look great, and for what he charged me.... it was almost highway robbery. He was kind enough to go out of his way to come to my house, and provided me with a couple hard-to-find specimens that were huge for their 5 gallon containers. In my book he’s a legend. Here’s a pic of the 7 ft tall P. sunkha he dropped off.

A0D29AF5-A09E-45D4-966D-F80906B09F28.png

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

I just had the pleasure of chatting with Patric for an hour at my house in Vallejo this past weekend while he dropped off a Parajubaea sunkha I’d been looking for the last year, and one of his Butia x Lytocaryum weddelliana. Both palms look great, and for what he charged me.... it was almost highway robbery. He was kind enough to go out of his way to come to my house, and provided me with a couple hard-to-find specimens that were huge for their 5 gallon containers. In my book he’s a legend. Here’s a pic of the 7 ft tall P. sunkha he dropped off.

A0D29AF5-A09E-45D4-966D-F80906B09F28.png

He needs to come here - he has some Jubaea x Monty seeds ripening and dropping off one of my trees!  Trying to get to them before the squirrels do...

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

4 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

He needs to come here - he has some Jubaea x Monty seeds ripening and dropping off one of my trees!  Trying to get to them before the squirrels do...

He said he was headed to Concord, thought he might be headed to your place!

1 minute ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

He said he was headed to Concord, thought he might be headed to your place!

Not this weekend - he was likely going to Dennis Turrin's.

Ben Rogers

5 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Not this weekend - he was likely going to Dennis Turrin's.

If Dennis is the guy with the really fat torallyi in Concord then yes.

12 minutes ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

If Dennis is the guy with the really fat torallyi in Concord then yes.

Yep - he also has a huge sunkha, a monster JxS, and myriad different Butia sp.  

Ben Rogers

14 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Sorry, meant Monty x Jubaea.

I need one of these haha Basically any Jubaea hybrid is on my want list haha. When do you think these will be available? 

Thanks T J 

T J 

9 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I need one of these haha Basically any Jubaea hybrid is on my want list haha. When do you think these will be available? 

Thanks T J 

Not sure.  He already has some xMontgomeryana crosses, but I THINK they are mostly Butia...

These Jubaea crosses look like viable seeds though, so fingers crossed!

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

5 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Thanks T J 

Here’s his list as of a couple months ago.

04B5D5A4-FB7E-48AD-9EA1-3E2EFC0CC7DF.jpeg

10 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Not sure.  He already has some xMontgomeryana crosses, but I THINK they are mostly Butia...

These Jubaea crosses look like viable seeds though, so fingers crossed!

I got a BxMonty from him , just starting to go pinnate. I may never get a JxS but a Monty x Jubaea would be cool, I think =) 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

I've been trying to reach Patrick, but not for his hybrid palms.  He hybridizes feijoas as well.  I've been slowly incorporating fruiting bushes/trees to the garden.  If anyone has his current contact information, please share.

TIA

Joe

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

7 minutes ago, joe_OC said:

I've been trying to reach Patrick, but not for his hybrid palms.  He hybridizes feijoas as well.  I've been slowly incorporating fruiting bushes/trees to the garden.  If anyone has his current contact information, please share.

TIA

Joe

Sent you a pm with his email 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

BJxS in 8x12 just arrived :D, hoping this palm can hold me over till I finally get a JxS haha Patric is the man and I hope he reads this !!! 

T J 

20220716_124118.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

T J 

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/16/2021 at 12:54 PM, joe_OC said:

TIA

Joe

Joe,,,, you need to read the whole thread, Patrick's address is shown twice !    try   coolhybrids@yahoo.com  :winkie:

San Francisco, California