Sign in to follow this  
neoflora

Sadleria fern for sale 100 usd

neoflora

I have a really nice sadleria fern Forsale . Trunk grows up to 4 feet ! Super hardy! Asking 100 usd! Call 949 235 6187! Thanks Ron

494F4266-7313-4FDD-8B4B-70FD36592E2B.jpeg

Darold Petty

Ron, does this one show a red new frond?  People claim that some forms do, but I have only ever seen green ones. Thanks

neoflora

It does not have red fronds! I have grown those in the past. They tend to be much smaller and much more difficult to grow. This one is winner in California.

Darold Petty

Thanks Ron,  I have a large one, but as you indicate it is all green.   :)    That's a nice plant, and a great addition to someone's garden.

joe_OC

Fern Factory has the Sadleria form that  turns red.  They require sun.  A lot of people grow them in shade, which is not the climate they come from in Hawaii.  My friend Mike has  huge one in his front yard that has beautiful red emerging fronds.  I'll ask him to post.

• Like 1

joe_OC

Mike gave me permission to post this pic.  Notice the red in the new flush. It has a lot more color than this, but it’s the only photo I have.

D900D5E4-6531-4745-9B7F-F8CA3F30A1AD.thumb.jpeg.fd7a1eed307443d28891e6186c999ce3.jpeg

• Like 1

Meangreen94z

What is your experience on hardiness? Most information said around 30*F? Which for a plant from Hawaii makes sense.

neoflora

Interesting! Just had a conservation with Jim ! Who grew these plants with red fronds. The spore came from my plant here in my garden ! Same plant i am selling! Jim says that red is result of climate. Cold and hot conditions! I have a even climate since i am so close to the ocean! so its the same plant!

• Like 1

joe_OC
6 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

What is your experience on hardiness? Most information said around 30*F? Which for a plant from Hawaii makes sense.

These grow in the lava flow fields.  You can see them near the saddle highway on the Big Island.  Nothing around growing but these ferns.  

mwardlow

What I have found from mine is that it produces red emerging fronds only in winter when it experiences cold weather at night and heat from my driveway which is south facing during the daytime. In Hawaii these grow high enough to get snow on them so they can take both the heat and cold.  Jim tells me most ferns that produce a red leaf need the contrast. One of my favorite ferns in my garden.

Sadelaria.jpeg

Dypsisdean

The mountain I live on has millions of these ferns. I can drive up the hill and they are all green emerging leaves. Then after rounding one corner they all begin to have red emerging leaves - almost like there is an invisible line around 3000 ft. elevation.

I have been meaning to dig up a few with red leaves and bring them back down to my 2000 ft. elevation to see if they retain the red leaves. But after 15 years I still haven't gotten around to it. Maybe I have procrastinated long enough. :)

• Like 3

Darold Petty

Yes please, Dean.  I would be very interested to learn your results !

Dypsisdean

OK Darold - I've been in the process of developing another acre for landscaping and will earmark a rocky sloped area for some Sadleria taken from high up the mountain.

I have come to believe that the red/green is a climate thing - as I would imagine there would have to be some overlap if they were of a different species or variation - but it is remarkable how abruptly they change at a distinct elevation. And I don't notice any "greens" up higher, or any "reds" down lower - although I haven't done a careful study.

• Like 1