IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sadleria fern for sale 100 usd

neoflora

Ron, does this one show a red new frond?  People claim that some forms do, but I have only ever seen green ones. Thanks

San Francisco, California

It does not have red fronds! I have grown those in the past. They tend to be much smaller and much more difficult to grow. This one is winner in California.

Thanks Ron,  I have a large one, but as you indicate it is all green.   :)    That's a nice plant, and a great addition to someone's garden.

San Francisco, California

Fern Factory has the Sadleria form that  turns red.  They require sun.  A lot of people grow them in shade, which is not the climate they come from in Hawaii.  My friend Mike has  huge one in his front yard that has beautiful red emerging fronds.  I'll ask him to post.

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Mike gave me permission to post this pic.  Notice the red in the new flush. It has a lot more color than this, but it’s the only photo I have.

D900D5E4-6531-4745-9B7F-F8CA3F30A1AD.thumb.jpeg.fd7a1eed307443d28891e6186c999ce3.jpeg

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

What is your experience on hardiness? Most information said around 30*F? Which for a plant from Hawaii makes sense.

Interesting! Just had a conservation with Jim ! Who grew these plants with red fronds. The spore came from my plant here in my garden ! Same plant i am selling! Jim says that red is result of climate. Cold and hot conditions! I have a even climate since i am so close to the ocean! so its the same plant!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

What is your experience on hardiness? Most information said around 30*F? Which for a plant from Hawaii makes sense.

These grow in the lava flow fields.  You can see them near the saddle highway on the Big Island.  Nothing around growing but these ferns.  

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

What I have found from mine is that it produces red emerging fronds only in winter when it experiences cold weather at night and heat from my driveway which is south facing during the daytime. In Hawaii these grow high enough to get snow on them so they can take both the heat and cold.  Jim tells me most ferns that produce a red leaf need the contrast. One of my favorite ferns in my garden.

Sadelaria.jpeg

MLW

The mountain I live on has millions of these ferns. I can drive up the hill and they are all green emerging leaves. Then after rounding one corner they all begin to have red emerging leaves - almost like there is an invisible line around 3000 ft. elevation.

I have been meaning to dig up a few with red leaves and bring them back down to my 2000 ft. elevation to see if they retain the red leaves. But after 15 years I still haven't gotten around to it. Maybe I have procrastinated long enough. :)

• Like 3

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

OK Darold - I've been in the process of developing another acre for landscaping and will earmark a rocky sloped area for some Sadleria taken from high up the mountain.

I have come to believe that the red/green is a climate thing - as I would imagine there would have to be some overlap if they were of a different species or variation - but it is remarkable how abruptly they change at a distinct elevation. And I don't notice any "greens" up higher, or any "reds" down lower - although I haven't done a careful study.

• Like 2

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

• 2 weeks later...