Sign in to follow this  
kinzyjr

CFPACS - 12/01/2019 - Part II - Anne Michael’s Garden - Vero Beach, FL

kinzyjr

After a quick stop for a bite to eat, it was off to the Anne Michael’s residence on Orchid Island in Vero Beach, FL.  The property is certainly off the beaten path but can be seen from the bridge if you know where to look.  When you arrive at the property, you’re immediately greeted by copious amounts of mature Royal palms and Coconut palms.  The property does feature many other species and does have a single pre-1989 coconut still alive at the present time.  Attendees were given permission by the owner to harvest seeds laying on the ground.  Our guide Jason provided background information on some of the palms and other plants present in the garden.

When you enter, you are greeted by plenty of mature Roystonea regia

0000_DrivewayOut_II.jpg

There was a great turnout and it is easy to see why

0001_Parking.jpg

The pond is surrounded by Roystonea, Sabals and coconuts.

0002_Pond.jpg

You can see the Indian River behind the house

0003_PondDrivewayHouse.jpg

Next 2 photos: Coconut palms line the shore with the bridge in the background.

0004_CoconutsBridge.jpg

0005_CoconutsBridge_II.jpg

The tallest coconut in this photo is a 1989 survivor.

0006_1989_Coco.jpg

A set of coconut twins (2 palms from one coconut)

0007_Twin_Coconuts.jpg

Next 2 photos: Hard to believe you can have such an open yard and this many palms

0008_MarkerHouseCoconuts.jpg

0009_Royals_Marker.jpg

Some Roystonea and an Australian pine near the sand dune.

0010_Royals_AustralianPine.jpg

• Like 5

kinzyjr

Remaining photos: Some of the other palms on the property included Ptychosperma elegans, Acoelorrhaphe wrightii, Copernicia macroglossa, Red Latan palms, Oil palms, and a giant Borrasssus (not pictured).

0006_Livistona.jpg

0005_Oil-.jpg

0004_Oil_Palm.jpg

0003_Red_Latan.jpg

0002_Copernicia_macroglossa.jpg

0001_Acoel_wrightii.jpg

0000_Ptychosperma_elegans.jpg

0007_Pandanus.jpg

• Like 2

kinzyjr

I was reading through some old issues of The Palmateer, the quarterly published by John Kennedy with CFPACS.  He mentioned in an old issue that, in the 1989 freeze, his property 4 miles inland recorded a low temperature of 18F.  In the same issue, he wrote that the property in this thread (the Michaels' property) saw 19F.  While I've always been skeptical toward the rumors that a coconut survived 19F in Clearwater and another survived the same in Cocoa Beach, this is a third report of this happening.  Here is a screen snip from page 19 of the March 2017 Palmateer article where this was reported: 

19F_Michaels_1989.png

• Like 1

HtownPalms

Thanks again! Another awesome garden. 

• Like 2

bubba

Did you get to McKee Gardens? Vero is a tropical convergence zone! Thank you!

• Like 1

kinzyjr
6 minutes ago, bubba said:

Did you get to McKee Gardens? Vero is a tropical convergence zone! Thank you!

Unfortunately, no.  We were at the Michael's place until it started getting dusk.  Next time I am over that way, I will stop there.  Thank you for the recommendation!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      Details for this event will be posted here: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/66772-central-florida-palm-cycad-society-spring-meeting-sat-03062021/
    • kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      The 2021 Spring Meeting is tentatively scheduled for March 6th, 2021 in Oak Hill, FL at a 28 acre palm and citrus nursery.  We are inviting all of our vendors for a plant sale.  Planning for a BBQ and Oyster Roast along with a potential camp out for those interested is underway.  The details will be provided as they are confirmed.
    • TampaPalms
      By TampaPalms
      Today I went ahead and added some Epsom salt to my arecas and foxtail palm. I was at thinking of adding a light light palm fertilizer to them especially the arecas to keep them nice and green as we just had a cold snap. I am in zone 9B in Tampa. Anyone in 9B or 10A have luck fertilizing palms in the winter? I'm afraid if I do so we will have another borderline freeze the new growth will be more susceptible to be killed.
    • kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      NOAA makes weather records from the Florida stations available to download for free.  Out of the 1,700+ stations, 358 contain at least some temperature data.  If one were to download all of these records, import them into a database, and use some crafty SQL queries to generate sheets for each of the impact freezes it would provide a really good side-by-side resource to compare the microclimates in each region of Florida.
      That is exactly what has been done with the 0000_202011040720_F_SQL_v2.xlsx spreadsheet attached to this post.  Each tab in the spreadsheet contains records for one of our unfortunate cold events.  The records come sorted first by the TAG column, which represents one of the areas in the pictures and is defined by a set of latitude and longitude boundaries.  A second sort is by the station name alphabetically.  This gives you a region of weather stations sorted alphabetically that allows you to see the temperatures in the region beside each other.
      The lists are able to be filtered or sorted in any way you choose, so if you are only interested in weather stations in a particular region or set of regions, this is easily accomplished.  For easy viewing, the rows for each region alternate in shading.  This is easy to remove or change if you wish.
      If you would like to see the boundaries of a region, the weather stations used with a link to their corresponding Weather Underground station, or a listing of the freezes and some commentary lifted from Florida Citrus Mutual’s website, or a description of the station location, the 202007121300_NOAA_WeatherStations_TemperatureOnly.xlsx sheet will have a plethora of this information.
      For anyone who likes to look at the various airport weather stations on Wunderground, 202004292350_AirportWeatherStations.xlsx will give you as complete listing of these stations as I could assemble.
      Now for a description of the various TAGs:
      PEN = Pensacola area

PAN - Panama City Area

TAL - Tallahassee Area

EPN - Eastern Panhandle

CNF - Central North Florida

JAX - Jacksonville area

NEF - Northeast Florida - Dayona + St. Augustine and surrounding area

NWC - Northwest Central Florida

SWC - Southwest Central Florida

NIC - North Inland Central Florida

SIC - South Inland Central Florida

ECF - East Central Florida

SWF - Southwest Florida

SEF - Southeast Florida

MUK - Miami and the Upper Keys

KEY - The South and Western Florida Keys

0000_202011040720_F_SQL_v2.xlsx 202007121300_NOAA_WeatherStations_TemperatureOnly.xlsx 202004292350_AirportWeatherStations.xlsx
    • kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      More details will be provided as they become available.  For now, a look back at a previous meeting in Micco:
      Jason's Yard - YouTube Tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3npF-_HbvM
      Auction Time at the Meeting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9iLmeCDCLs
      PalmTalk Thread from the Meeting: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/41221-central-florida-palm-and-cycad-society-meeting-3292014/