IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rotting Queen Palms

HtownPalms

I have 4 Queen Palms planted in front of my house. The other day I noticed that 2 of them were rotting in the trunk. Other than the trunk rot they look really healthy. I just bought the house 4 months ago so I don't know much about these particular palms. From what I can tell all the other palms in my neighborhood look very healthy. What could be causing this? Everything missing from the trunk is what I very easily pulled off by hand once I noticed the soft part on the tree. I'm not worried about saving the tree. I think they are too close to the house anyway. I just want to know if it is something that I need to worry about spreading to my other palms? Can I plant a new palm in that place or is that now tainted ground? 

I'm assuming that it's most likely a fungal infection, also about 2 years ago we had a hard freeze (upper teens/low twenties) could this stem from that?

20191124_160450.jpg

20191124_160431.jpg

20191124_160439.jpg

20191124_160502.jpg

I actually just left a nursery where they were discussing that. Apparently there is a problem with borers in this area right now and they’re killing a lot of palm trees. They recommend a soil drench. 

image.jpg

Interesting. I didn't think of boring insects. I think I have seen that ferti-Lome at some local nurseries. I will pick some up and apply it throughout my flowerbeds. I think no matter what happens going forward 2 of my palms are goners, but the other 2 look uninfected at this time. I did notice evidence yesterday of where 2 other palms had previously been, but are half rotten stumps now. Thanks for the input. 

That stuff is $60/gallon but worth it if it saves your palms. I’m not sure what part of the Houston area you’re in but around the bay I’m seeing more and more dead and dying palms. 

Amazon has one called Compare N Save for $22/gallon right now on Cyber Monday Deal.  I have used it on other trees here.  

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

32 minutes ago, Allen said:

Amazon has one called Compare N Save for $22/gallon right now on Cyber Monday Deal.  I have used it on other trees here.  

I got hosed. 

I always wonder if you can patch these spots up to increase their integrity. Ruth Bancroft had some rot in a huge yucca, so she cleared it out and stuck a piece of 2x4 in there. And the yucca is still kicking it. 

Damage like this can also be caused by sprinklers. Your sprinklers (if you have any) wouldn't be reaching these trunks, would they?

Regards Neil

1 hour ago, Neil C said:

Damage like this can also be caused by sprinklers. Your sprinklers (if you have any) wouldn't be reaching these trunks, would they?

Regards Neil

That was my first guess but the sprinkler direction doesn't make much sense ...... hmmm 

T J 

Hey everyone. Thank You for the responses. Looks like I will have to keep an eye out for when the Ferti-Lome goes on sale! I have always heard that filling in rotten spots can trap moisture and speed up the rot, but I personally don't know if that is true. I don't have any sprinklers. Most Houston area houses don't, but we do get a lot of natural rain. Mostly in the summer and winter. 

15 hours ago, Allen said:

For an even better deal, go for this https://www.amazon.com/Dominion-2L-21-4-Imidaclorprid-27-5/dp/B004HFBFGC/ref=sr_1_9?crid=3OQKHNHCQERC4&keywords=imidacloprid&qid=1575381366&sprefix=imidac%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-9

Smaller bottle, but the Compare-N-Save is only 1.47% concentration of imidacloprid, whereas this is 21.4%.  So it can make 14.5 times as much drench per same amount of liquid used. 

• Like 2