IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Protection Method Photos Master Thread

Allen

We'll be here, interested and hopeful, whenever you face the dark portal 😁

Zone 6b maritime climate

• 1 month later...

5 years in the ground.  I just unwrapped today, it is the earliest that I have by about 2 weeks.  The temperatures and weather will hopefully cooperate.  R. Hystrix, left T. Fortunei right.   Worcester, MA. 

IMG_2371.jpeg

IMG_2372.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Its nice when they can be free as they were "born" to be.😁

• Like 1

Remind us: heat for trachy and cover only for needle? Would be great to see up close picture of the needle

• Like 1

Zone 6b maritime climate

Unwrapped my East Tennessee Fortunei last week. This is its 3rd winter. Did great.

20240225_163337.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, steve617 said:

Unwrapped my East Tennessee Fortunei last week. This is its 3rd winter. Did great.

20240225_163337.jpg

@steve617 did you heat it? Refresh us on the protection package for this?

Zone 6b maritime climate

I use a thermocube, on at 35 off at 45. Wrap the mini incandescent bulbs I think was 200 of the bulbs. I wrap them around the trunk up to the area were the were the spear comes out. I then wrap burlap around the trunk. Of course I tie the fronds up the best I can. This year I bought a frost cloth that covered all the palm. Last 2 years I would cover it all with a tarp but didn't this year. 

• Like 2

@Leelanau Palms T. Fortunei has 2 heat lamps at the base with an inkbird set to turn on at 34f.  There is also heat tape around the trunk that turns on below 38f.  That is still on until probably April.  The R. Hystrix is just bungie corded together in a box with leaves and a little spare house insulation.  I’m very impressed with it, last winter we had a day that was -11f -34f windchill and it was not phased.  Bonus picture is a sabal minor that has been through 2 winters.  I just cover it with a bucket but it did receive some noticeable damage.  

IMG_2374.jpeg

IMG_2375.jpeg

IMG_2376.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, kbob11 said:

@Leelanau Palms T. Fortunei has 2 heat lamps at the base with an inkbird set to turn on at 34f.  There is also heat tape around the trunk that turns on below 38f.  That is still on until probably April.  The R. Hystrix is just bungie corded together in a box with leaves and a little spare house insulation.  I’m very impressed with it, last winter we had a day that was -11f -34f windchill and it was not phased.  Bonus picture is a sabal minor that has been through 2 winters.  I just cover it with a bucket but it did receive some noticeable damage.  

IMG_2376.jpeg

Awesome on the Needle and Trachy!  On S. minor just a possible tip - make sure fronds don't touch bucket inside.  Possibly wrap with burlap/frost cloth first then put bucket on.  Only leave on during cold under 0-5F

Edited by Allen
  • Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

4 hours ago, kbob11 said:

IMG_2374.jpeg

IMG_2375.jpeg

IMG_2376.jpeg

This is just plain fun and cool! Thanks for the up close images and descriptions. Makes me want to take a shot in my area

Zone 6b maritime climate

image.thumb.jpg.0130f92ac4e7941e706a6928fe7ceb2c.jpg
Here’s the end of winter update for the Rhapidophyllum hystrix. I think it’s approaching three feet now. It experienced a low of 10F. I only protected it with frost cloth when it was both cold and snowing/raining. Overall I am very happy with its performance and can’t wait to see how it does this summer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MAPalms said:

image.thumb.jpg.0130f92ac4e7941e706a6928fe7ceb2c.jpg
Here’s the end of winter update for the Rhapidophyllum hystrix. I think it’s approaching three feet now. It experienced a low of 10F. I only protected it with frost cloth when it was both cold and snowing/raining. Overall I am very happy with its performance and can’t wait to see how it does this summer.

That is GREAT!  @MAPalms How long ago was it planted and what size when planted?

Zone 6b maritime climate

Finally these 70s are greening up everything!

IMG_0303.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 1