IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaerops Humilis Growth

Dartolution

Just wanted to share this to see what you guys think.

Back in April of this year, I decided to transform my overgrown backyard that the previous owners of my townhome had planted as a very town and country/english garden theme. 

In early April I cleared the entire yard down to the ground by hand, down to the soil. 

I decided on a design, implemented it, and created the first slightly raised planting bed with flagstone.

I used a combination of native soil, which is basically red clay, mixed with generous amounts of organic matter, sand, and bark. 

When I planted my oldest Chamaerops I had been growing it in a pot for about 2 years. 

It was planted with Dr. Earth exotic blend in generous amounts at the time, and a couple of months later fertilized with 2 of those JOBES palm spikes. 

I did however water regularly with the new line of Miracle Grow Performance Organics hose sprayer mixed with seaweed extract, and molasses on a roughly 2 week schedule through this year. 

Here is a picture of the planting bed shortly after I finished on May 8th:

(The oldest is in the back corner)

BackYard08MAY2019.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

What do you guys think of that kind of growth in roughly 6.5 months?

Also, please pardon the bed, its the end of fall and most everything has been mulched over and cut back for winter haha. 

Seems to be growing pretty fast.  Nice work!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Growing fast stretching for sun.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

• 4 weeks later...

Had to share this. 

I really believe that Chamaerops don't get the recognition they deserve. 

This is one of my favorite palms. 

Here is my second of the trio in the back yard shortly after planting it. Picture was taken on June 30th:

CHmd1.jpg

• Like 2

They seem to be doing very well for you.  I thought about trying one but I'm too cold for them I think but some people say they do as well as Trachy.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

7 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

@Allen it is my understanding that trachys grow quicker than chamaerops. 

Trachys are very variable.  Depends on what species you are talking about.

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

2 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

@Ben in Norcal I was mostly referencing what I have heard about fortunei 

Yes - one of the faster species.

• Like 2

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Those chamaerops are definitely growing faster than what they do here.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 11:09 PM, Allen said:

They seem to be doing very well for you.  I thought about trying one but I'm too cold for them I think but some people say they do as well as Trachy.

They aren't as hardy as trachycarpus but very close in my experience. The great thing about them is if they get near or full defoliation they will in one season (here) put off seed and regrow an entire crown! This species will always have a place in my garden forever.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth
  • Like 2

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

1 hour ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

They aren't as hardy as trachycarpus but very close in my experience. The great thing about them is if they get near or full defoliation they will in one season (here) put off seed and regrow an entire crown! This species will always have a place in my garden forever.

I like them a lot. They are as hardy and T. Fortunei in my area, but they handle the sun a lot better. 

• Like 2

Chamaerops are incredibly resilient. i transplanted one over 2 years ago. I thought it was dead,  after getting spear pull and spending almost a full year without foliage. Just this fall, i noticed it had new foliage pushing up. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ryagra said:

I like them a lot. They are as hardy and T. Fortunei in my area, but they handle the sun a lot better. 

Trachycarpus handle full sun here due to getting a decent break for a few months in winter where the sun still warms pretty good but not BRUTAL like spring through early fall.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

I have 3 in the yard total. The two smaller ones get full sun year round. The one in the back right corner gets shade in the winter. Its a bit leggy but its also the largest of the 3. 

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to share this exciting moment. 

10 Months in the ground and my largest Chamaerops is producing multiple bloom spikes for the first time!

All 3 of the chamaerops palms overwintered in the ground with little to no protection without issue. I did steak up some posts and green frost cloth, and lay a heat coil at the base, but other than that, nothing. In January and February I basically let nature take its coarse just to see how they would do.

Lowest temp was 19-20F this year. Extremely wet winter however. Alabama has had extreme rain this winter, and flooding in the state, including my area. 

I haven't found any evidence of rot, or cold damage with any of the palms which is good. 

Anyway, here are the blooms. 

What do you guys think? 

Chumilis221MAR2020.jpg

Chumilis121MAR2020.jpg

• Like 6

Congrats on the bloom!! This is starting to grow on me, this looks like one that is in my neighborhood that looks about 3-4 feet tall.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

@Dartolution looking good man! Mine looks to have similar speed in growth but hasn't shown any inflorescence yet. 

Left is yesterday (3/22/2020) and right is the end of February 2019 before it went in the ground.

20200322_155751.jpg

• Like 3

Chamaerops are quite variable also.  I grew this one from seed collected from a solitary form 6 years ago.  I recently trimmed off its first sucker and now there is another growing!

IMG_20200323_182806.jpg

• Like 3

Jon Sunder

• 3 weeks later...

Just was out in the yard this afternoon and snapped a couple of pictures. 

That little chamaerops has really grown in not quite a years time... I am surprised. 

CHumilis110APR2020.thumb.jpg.e915a2485c6dd8d7079a07adf2b22238.jpg

Also, Does this mean I am going to have seeds on the largest palm female?

CHumilis210APR2020.thumb.jpg.84ab1b721d1ca073a352a39de4d88ff9.jpg

• Like 4

yes that is a good looking landscape job.  Well done.  The growth is really good!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Already posted these pictures in another thread, but since I did, I thought it pertinent to update my CH growth thread as well. 

Here are some images taken today of the 3 in the backyard. 

Smallest Cham:

SmCH107JUL2020.thumb.jpg.828e7625db538de211b2b256debb0bdc.jpg

SmCH207JUL2020.thumb.jpg.b605305ed8a3ff8a9d4778584447666a.jpg

Medium Sized Cham:

MdCH107JUL2020.thumb.jpg.870a1f7a4b7e12c51dd47ebadf82d7ef.jpg

MdCH207JUL2020.thumb.jpg.d0247450246b547ff84e6bfc0e8e5913.jpg

MdCH307JUL2020.thumb.jpg.d71e2d4fc80fbbf4f8f595181e27ff6c.jpg

Largest Cham:

LgCH107JUL2020.thumb.jpg.f17a3dd70948c59a26f4c5d02314a65c.jpg

LgCH207JUL2020.thumb.jpg.b476b50c5005236e64dea7608b5e86d3.jpg

• Like 5

Those are looking really nice!  Good work on all that landscaping!

• Like 1

Nice work! I was wondering, what is the plant with the dark green/purple leaves on the bottom left corner?

On 4/10/2020 at 9:04 PM, Dartolution said:

Also, Does this mean I am going to have seeds on the largest palm female?

It does look like a female but I assume that you didn't get any viable seeds since the first flowering rarely results in viable seeds - even in monoecious palms.  I've read that Chamaerops does occasionally produce both male and female flowers though.  But chances are good with 3 of them that you'll have a male also!  Is that 'blue chalk sticks' around the smallest Chamaerops?

Edited by Fusca

Jon Sunder

@Allen Thanks! Its a work in progress and evolving like all gardens do haha. 

@Swolte I THINK you are referring to the Rhoeo, or Tradescantia spathacea.

Is that what you are looking at? 

@Fusca Yes it was definitely female flowers, and the smallest of the 3 is definitely a male. He put out pollen shortly after. However, you're right, no viable seeds this year. Maybe next time. 

The Medium sized one is the only one that didn't flower this year. So, verdict is still out on M/F for that one. 

Yes, those are blue chalk sticks. The ones on the left of the smallest chammy survived the winter (down to 20F),  ones on the right were replanted this year. 

I like how blue they are, and they grow extremely fast so its a neat semi-annual to throw there. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dartolution said:

Tradescantia spathacea

Thats it, thanks! Is that hardy for you?

@Swolte They are marginally hardy here. Depends on the microclimate and how winter is going to behave. Ive had them survive before, sometimes dying back to the base, but resprouting once the warmth arrives. 

Typically I just yank a few cuttings off, root them in moist soil in seedling pots, and overwinter them in a windowsill. They grow rapidly and are super easy like most tradescantia's are. 

The pallida I have is extremely invasive, seeds profusely, and has to be pinched back by the trash bag full every 2 weeks. 

• Like 1

Nice growth! Everything has filled in! Looking really good with the palms.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Grabbed some trunk shots for anyone looking today:

Small Chammy Trunk:

SmCham109JUL2020.thumb.jpg.507396ddd9b4cea2ae2fa696bee677ba.jpg

Medium Chammy Trunk:

MdCham109JUL2020.thumb.jpg.c712cc68b47bd3c6e78b483a3614df47.jpg

Large Chammy Trunk:

LgCham109JUL2020.thumb.jpg.2b8c558f681fc5f58b5ac6be00ececef.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

It has been roughly a year and a half since these two were planted.

They have growth quite a lot in that time:

CHumilis227NOV2020.thumb.jpg.9848feb7d4a2ed55e56a11475cf00f3c.jpg

CHumilis127NOV2020.thumb.jpg.b2cbcfcf4c58d009017d2e2c0a12f873.jpg

CHumilis327NOV2020.thumb.jpg.355154d0da67842486785e8be391509c.jpg

• Like 4