IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Philodendron from Yuccado

necturus

Anyone else growing this Philodendron from Yuccado? I bought one and gave it to my mother a few years ago. It grows slowly and is just starting to climb the live oak. It was planted out during our severe freeze a couple years ago and was covered by blanket. It probably got down to 19 and maybe only lost a leaf or two.

004400B9-71F2-4E3B-8790-8E499E477F38.jpeg

7C3F2290-D0A6-4E15-B1BC-C06EA60F0D1E.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I love that philo.  I bought a couple from yucca do.  It seems tough and cold hardy, but I haven’t tested it unprotected.  

This was the one they sold as Philodendron sp. "Praia do Rosa" and I bought one in February of 2008 and planted in my garden in Natchez, Mississippi (zone 9a). It was generally good down to low 20s F, defoliated at that temp for the most part but always came back in spring from underground after hard freezes, including the horrible winter of January 2010 (18F low, and below freezing for three days). I took a chunk of it to my garden on Big Pine Key and it did well there until Irma took it out. I never found it after the storm so it was either killed and mushed-out by the 12 hours of sub-ocean conditions or was literally swept some good distance away in the salty floodwaters (as many of my smaller in-ground plants were), never to be found. And I don't remember seeing the one in Natchez after the very bad 2018 freeze (13F), so that may have been what finally did it in.

I too wondered if this species was P. renauxii. The Exotic Rainforest website noted above has lots of good info, but it lists it as mainly occurring in forests at slight elevation; but also that it is a "complex" and so has a fair amount of variation in the species. If memory serves, YuccaDo's blurb stated that they had collected it on some rocky/sandy land just behind/above a beach area. But I do see on Tropicos that one listed specimen was identified from the 
Palhoça area, which is at or near sea level, right at the coast and only 65km north of Praia do Rosa. So perhaps it is one and the same.

I bought many interesting and unusual plants from YuccaDo over the years. They went out of business in 2017, which is very sad indeed. Peckerwood Garden is still there, and the two were associated, so perhaps someone there would have some more info on this species. I found the picture below of this plant, as it grew in my Natchez garden in September 2009, after a year and a half in the ground there:

Phil_Praia_2009_09_17_NTZ.jpg

• Like 1

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

I bought one from Peckerwood at their last big sale and the tag said P. renauxii, for whatever that's worth. It is indistinguishable from my mother's plant and was propagated at Peckerwood, so I bet they are one and the same. Thanks for your insight! It is a great philodendron for zone 9a. Just wish it grew a little quicker.

• Like 1

Thanks for that info, Daniel, it's good to know, I suppose they finally got a positive I.D. It's too bad it isn't more available in the trade as a tropicalesque ground-cover, it really holds its own niche for those colder 9a/b areas. I also agree it's a bit slow, especially since in Florida I've become very accustomed to using Philodendron 'Burle-Marx' (which I believe is considerably less cold-tolerant) and its crazy "Trouble with Tribbles" growth speed and habit.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

On 12/28/2019 at 10:57 PM, mnorell said:

Thanks for that info, Daniel, it's good to know, I suppose they finally got a positive I.D. It's too bad it isn't more available in the trade as a tropicalesque ground-cover, it really holds its own niche for those colder 9a/b areas. I also agree it's a bit slow, especially since in Florida I've become very accustomed to using Philodendron 'Burle-Marx' (which I believe is considerably less cold-tolerant) and its crazy "Trouble with Tribbles" growth speed and habit.

That's actually great to know about Burle-Marx...I've been looking for a good tropical ground cover and I really like that plant!  Do you have any idea on its cold tolerance?  Some say 10b-11, some 9-11 and some say 9b (25F).  I have a part-shade area I'd like to let it loose and go nuts!  :D 

I'm sure Burle-Marx is okay in Florida in Orlando 10a areas at least. Eric no doubt has planted this at Leu and you might want to query him about it. It is an excellent, beautiful plant for a thick groundcover but make sure you plant it at least three feet back from walkways. Once it gets going it is quite prolific and wide-spreading. Look around and you can probably find some plantings and just snap off some pieces with roots and stick them in the ground. And by the same token, if there's a bad freeze forecast, you can just use the same technique and take some pieces inside. It branches wildly, with adventitious roots forming all over. Easiest thing to propagate. So very simple to get a "safety" in case a 1989 were scheduled to happen again...

• Like 1

Michael Norell