IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone have any pygmy date seeds?

RaychHasDatePalms

As the title states, I'm interested in acquiring some quality pygmy date seeds from someone in the US (for obvious federal regulations reasons). Anyone have anything? 

Thanks! :)

At present, I'm empty.  I'll have a ton of them come May-June.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 11/28/2019 at 1:39 AM, kinzyjr said:

At present, I'm empty.  I'll have a ton of them come May-June.

I should have known you'd pop up! :)

If I don't get super lucky for Christmas (I hinted to my mom that I want a pygmy palm but where do you get one in MI in Dec?), how much would you want for a handful of seeds? 

@RaychHasDatePalms Depending on the amount of seeds, in the neighborhood of $5.  Most years, I harvest the seeds in early May.  If you don't get to unwrap one for Christmas, let me know a shipping address via PM and I'll make sure you get as many seeds as you want for a very reasonable price.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

RaychNEEDSdatepalms!  Sorry, couldn't resist.

I have seed I've been collecting the past couple weeks as it matures and am testing germination. Could send ya some and like Kinzy $5 would cover shipping.

• Like 2

You're both great!!!!!!! And LOL Not A TA, tell me about it. I keep eyeing the dates at the store, not buying because budget and family eating restrictions (blast it all), and then getting home and face palming--pun not intended. 

I get the inclination that a pygmy date has a better chance of being happy in a pot in MI than a medjool, even though I love medjools....... I'm also starting to consider a ponytail palm too. I hear they are close to indestructible. 

A racoon recently killed one of my Ponytails that was in a pot. Knocked it over and gnawed all the foliage off a couple months ago. I put it in the ground but it died, thought for sure it'd just take root and put out new shoots like when you cut them.

Yes, robelenii will be easier long term in a pot but be aware they grow a lot of roots.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a bunch. Dm me if interested 

• Like 2

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

I always have a ton of these. Let me check my trees tomorrow. Would anyone like to trade these seeds for some other Types of palm seeds? Trying to build up my back yard with all kinds of palms. This is my first post hope it works 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joeflorida said:

I always have a ton of these. Let me check my trees tomorrow. Would anyone like to trade these seeds for some other Types of palm seeds? Trying to build up my back yard with all kinds of palms. This is my first post hope it works 

Welcome to the forums!  See my PM.

Lakeland, FL

Hey everyone! Happy 20s! 

We finally did our last round of Christmas in the family, and while my husband DID surprise me with a monthly succulent subscription box (!!!!!), I didn't end up with any pygmy date babies.  Do any of you still have some available? I'm guessing the answer is yes..... hoping for a show of hands. :)

• Like 2

On 12/18/2019 at 9:06 AM, PalmMom007 said:

I have plenty of these! As well as Ig and 3g seedlings, ship as well! 

I'd looooooove to get a seedling instead of having to start from scratch, but I'm pretty sure a baby palm from Florida would be super annoyed if it found itself sitting on my stoop in MI in the snow. Maybe summertime?? :) 

On 11/29/2019 at 11:20 PM, NOT A TA said:

RaychNEEDSdatepalms!  Sorry, couldn't resist.

I have seed I've been collecting the past couple weeks as it matures and am testing germination. Could send ya some and like Kinzy $5 would cover shipping.

How did your germination testing work out? Do you have any good seeds for me? :)

11 hours ago, RaychHasDatePalms said:

How did your germination testing work out? Do you have any good seeds for me? :)

Haven't sprouted yet. I have them in community pots outside so probably a little longer.

I picked up some seeds from TA  at the post office today.  There seem to be three types, and I can't wait to try them out! 

A1F731BE-EE7D-4BE3-98FF-8D5F9A90DB9B.jpeg

633084B4-D592-4D39-9CC8-A25E9F28BEFE.jpeg

3576763C-F4D1-4642-8942-6288F6E0D2D0.jpeg

Edited by RaychHasDatePalms
Seed pics
  • Like 2