IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal blackburniana Inquiry

Dartolution

@Brad Mondel and @RJ You are correct. 

I got it from Phil at JungleMusic back in December. I purchased the blackburniana and a bismarckia at the same time. Ive been thoroughly happy with both and Phil's customer service. 

• Like 1

Nice update.  Wish Jungle Music was in FL instead of CA.  He has tons of stuff.  I have ordered several things from him.

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2020 at 9:43 PM, Allen said:

Nice update.  Wish Jungle Music was in FL instead of CA.  He has tons of stuff.  I have ordered several things from him.

It was nice when I was living in SoCal to go to Jungle Music. Now that I'm in Texas I have gotten lots of palms and plants shipped. I actually got a shipment on the way now =) My way of stimulating the economy and small business !!! 

I really wish there was more nurseries especially from Florida that would ship my way stuck in the middle haha 

• Like 1

T J 

@OC2Texaspalmlvr I do as well. The 2 I ordered from Phil are excellent. The blackburniana is putting out a new leaf I noticed yesterday which Im guessing means it likes were it is. 

I also ordered the 1 gallon Bismarckia from him as well, and transplanted it into a very large tall urn like pot several weeks ago. 

I was very concerned that I damaged its roots, but since the repot it has pushed out a new leaf and that leaf is now opening. 

I wouldn't hesitate or order from JM again. 

41 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

I wouldn't hesitate or order from JM again.

So what I have been doing is ordering one 5g plant plus 3 band size plants and it fits in 1 box so saves me on shipping =) This round i went 5g D.Leptechelios with Arenga Engleri , Hedyscepe Canterbuyana,  Rhopastylis Cheesmanii band sizes 

• Like 2

T J 

2 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

So what I have been doing is ordering one 5g plant plus 3 band size plants and it fits in 1 box so saves me on shipping =) This round i went 5g D.Leptechelios with Arenga Engleri , Hedyscepe Canterbuyana,  Rhopastylis Cheesmanii band sizes 

Can I ask how much the shipping charges are to your location?  I've been thinking of ordering from them too.

7 hours ago, Chester B said:

Can I ask how much the shipping charges are to your location?  I've been thinking of ordering from them too.

You live fairly close so your shipping won't be too bad.  Keep in mind he will ship up to 15G sizes of most palms to you via UPS if you want.   You can freight in palms by the pallet too if you want and that really is a option for you.  There is also these online hauling services that can give you a price to get your palm.  

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

17 hours ago, Allen said:

You live fairly close so your shipping won't be too bad.  Keep in mind he will ship up to 15G sizes of most palms to you via UPS if you want.   You can freight in palms by the pallet too if you want and that really is a option for you.  There is also these online hauling services that can give you a price to get your palm.  

I actually had a pallet shipped from Phil once before, right when I moved out to Texas. For the amount of palms they were able to jam into 1 pallet was amazing haha. Definitely gives you more options size wise. 

Have you used these hauling services before? If so recommend any in particular? 

T J 

3 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I actually had a pallet shipped from Phil once before, right when I moved out to Texas. For the amount of palms they were able to jam into 1 pallet was amazing haha. Definitely gives you more options size wise. 

Have you used these hauling services before? If so recommend any in particular? 

I think Uship is the one I looked at before.  It's kind of like Uber for small hauling guys.  Think of a guy with a trailer hauling stuff for you.  There was a show on this once I believe.  I think it's around .30/mile depending on who you get.

3 hours ago, Allen said:

I think Uship is the one I looked at before.  It's kind of like Uber for small hauling guys.  Think of a guy with a trailer hauling stuff for you.  There was a show on this once I believe.  I think it's around .30/mile depending on who you get.

Hmm I'll have to look it up. Just did the math 1515 miles from JM to casa 454$ sheesh I think it was cheaper going thru Phil. 

T J 

• 3 weeks later...

Along with a few of my Rhapis and Chamaedorea species, I just noticed another of my Sabal palms is preparing to bloom. This is my Sabal bermudana (nomen ambiguum: Sabal blackburniana) originally from Phil/JM. It's been in the ground less than 5 years, has no trunk but with this warmer weather is really starting to push out fronds. 

Sabal1.png

Sabal2.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed my blackburniana is starting to flower. I thought it would start trunking first. 

20200509_083706.jpg

20200509_083730.jpg

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

@Chris Chance Looks great! How tall is it now?

I would say only about 8 feet tall at the moment. Pretty cool looking palm in my opinion. 

• Like 2

Was that from Phil? I think he's the only person I know who has it from time to time. 

57 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

I just noticed my blackburniana is starting to flower. I thought it would start trunking first. 

20200509_083706.jpg

20200509_083730.jpg

No fair!  You're in CA posting in cold hardy forum!  Nice palm!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Allen said:

No fair!  You're in CA posting in cold hardy forum!  Nice palm!

Thank you! I know it's in cold hardy forum but I thought I would still show it. If it produces viable seed I will give them away.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

Thank you! I know it's in cold hardy forum but I thought I would still show it. If it produces viable seed I will give them away.

Be happy to make it worth you while for some seed :greenthumb:

Great looking Sabal! I just planted a small 1 gal recently. Hopefully it'll look like yours in some years :greenthumb:

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

1 hour ago, Chris Chance said:

I'm just jealous it's such a nice specimen!  I don't think we can grow one that nice on the east coast north of FL.

7 hours ago, Allen said:

I'm just jealous it's such a nice specimen!  I don't think we can grow one that nice on the east coast north of FL.

Thank you! I have grown it for i think 7 years. Planted it in that spot almost 5 years ago. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2020 at 10:49 AM, Hillizard said:

Along with a few of my Rhapis and Chamaedorea species, I just noticed another of my Sabal palms is preparing to bloom. This is my Sabal bermudana (nomen ambiguum: Sabal blackburniana) originally from Phil/JM. It's been in the ground less than 5 years, has no trunk but with this warmer weather is really starting to push out fronds. 

Sabal1.png

Sabal2.png

My Sabal bermudana (nomen ambiguum: Sabal blackburniana) now  in full bloom/anthesis. That's my 'mule palm' in the background.

Sabalbermudiana2_2020.png

SabalbermudianaBloom2020.png

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

WOW. Neat inflorescence 

I agree. This spike seems more showy than a palm of the same species I grew at another place.  I'm hoping the fruit is also attractive... if the birds and squirrels don't harvest it first! :unsure:

I have a blackburnia with around 4' trunk. They are very cold tolerant but very slow growing.  It's been 3 years since transplanting and it still doesnt have anywhere near a full crown. We've increased the water on it this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I have a blackburnia with around 4' trunk. They are very cold tolerant but very slow growing.  It's been 3 years since transplanting and it still doesnt have anywhere near a full crown. We've increased the water on it this year. 

@TexasColdHardyPalms Im curious to know what you consider "very slow growing."

The one I planted has put out 3 new leaves, and working on its 4th now since planting it on March 9th. 

I have it drip irrigated twice a day for 3 minutes with microemmiters about 6-8 inches away from its root ball. 

I fertilized it for the first time last weekend with PalmGain. 

I've debated on posting a picture of it, but I would rather wait a full year to post an updated image to give everyone interested a good idea of the amount of growth you may get in a years time. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

UPDATE!

It has been a few days shy of 7 months in the ground. 

First picture is shortly after planting on March 9th, and the last 3 are today. 

March 9th:

SabalBlackburniana109MAR2020.thumb.jpg.bcbc6a1f2aff908b1331238ecbb124ec.jpg

Today: 

SabalBlackburniana104OCT2020.thumb.jpg.92519428b9beeda90494f6da8f7bc834.jpgSabalBlackburniana204OCT2020.thumb.jpg.85ea1dadb7cc58e1f928d64626205700.jpgSabalBlackburniana304OCT2020.thumb.jpg.e2347c6e46b7f2dffc55cbcb9599ea0a.jpg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

UPDATE!

It has been a few days shy of 7 months in the ground. 

First picture is shortly after planting on March 9th, and the last 3 are today. 

March 9th:

SabalBlackburniana109MAR2020.thumb.jpg.bcbc6a1f2aff908b1331238ecbb124ec.jpg

Today: 

SabalBlackburniana104OCT2020.thumb.jpg.92519428b9beeda90494f6da8f7bc834.jpgSabalBlackburniana204OCT2020.thumb.jpg.85ea1dadb7cc58e1f928d64626205700.jpgSabalBlackburniana304OCT2020.thumb.jpg.e2347c6e46b7f2dffc55cbcb9599ea0a.jpg

Looks about right and doing well. But I wish these Sabals grew faster.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 10:02 AM, Hillizard said:

My Sabal bermudana (nomen ambiguum: Sabal blackburniana) now  in full bloom/anthesis. That's my 'mule palm' in the background.

Sabalbermudiana2_2020.png

SabalbermudianaBloom2020.png

Wishing a Berry Merry 2020 Holiday Season to all Palmtalkers! May the only frost you see be in your freezers!
[Sabal bermudiana (Syn: S. blackburniana)]

Sabal2020.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Great Blueberrys @Hillizard haha. 

Unfortunately we seem to be having a cold winter so far, with probably about 7-9 nights so far dropping into the 20's.

I haven't noticed any damage on the blackburniana though. Other than this strange magically appearing/disappearing black spots. 

we have a low coming up of 21F (likely upper teens). for the first time. 

Im debating on whether or not to cover it or not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dartolution said:

Great Blueberrys @Hillizard haha. 

Unfortunately we seem to be having a cold winter so far, with probably about 7-9 nights so far dropping into the 20's.

I haven't noticed any damage on the blackburniana though. Other than this strange magically appearing/disappearing black spots. 

we have a low coming up of 21F (likely upper teens). for the first time. 

Im debating on whether or not to cover it or not. 

The small Sabal palmetto, louisiana, brazoria and birmingham I have seem pretty tough.  But I have no idea what the cold hardiness of that one is.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

Quick update. I have lots of ripe seeds ready to harvest. 

20201222_141500.jpg

20201222_141632.jpg

That's a real beauty!

• Like 1