IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pahokee Coconut.

Mr.SamuraiSword

Saw this MASSIVE coconut. Think it was on here in a thread from 2010 or something. But its looking great. I'm 6ft 2 for scale.  

20191122_104619.jpg

20191122_104145.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Nice, thanks for sharing! It’s rare to see one that big in FL.

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Tall and old. Amazing it has escaped being zapped by lightning.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Does it still produce nuts?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

31 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Does it still produce nuts?

Yes sir! There's a few up there. 

20191122_104120.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I still dream of buying a small lot in Pahokee and testing my ideas about the cold hardiness. As I’ve said many times elsewhere on this forum, my family farmed the Glades and was spread from Clewiston to Pahokee. I was told that Pahokee was the most temperate microclimate on the lake. I bet you can grow just about anything that grows in the Keys in Pahokee, and I honestly suspect that I might be the most freeze-free mainland climate in Florida.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

I still dream of buying a small lot in Pahokee and testing my ideas about the cold hardiness. As I’ve said many times elsewhere on this forum, my family farmed the Glades and was spread from Clewiston to Pahokee. I was told that Pahokee was the most temperate microclimate on the lake. I bet you can grow just about anything that grows in the Keys in Pahokee, and I honestly suspect that I might be the most freeze-free mainland climate in Florida.

Pahokee, South Bay and Belle Glade are all VERY rough towns, not a place you want to live... My grandparents have been in Belle Glade for 60 years and refuse to leave despite the area spiraling downward for the last 20 years. Clewiston and Moore Haven are really the only ones down there that are a "safe" option. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, SWFLchris said:

Pahokee, South Bay and Belle Glade are all VERY rough towns, not a place you want to live... My grandparents have been in Belle Glade for 60 years and refuse to leave despite the area spiraling downward for the last 20 years. Clewiston and Moore Haven are really the only ones down there that are a "safe" option. 

I was born in Belle Glade! (Technically, I was born in the hospital in West Palm, but we lived in Belle Glade.) My father was born in the “hospital” in Pahokee, but they lived in South Bay. My great uncle was the first mayor of South Bay, and another great uncle served as mayor later. My great grandfather had a farm on the edge of Clewiston, and my grandfather and his siblings and nephew survived the 1928 hurricane by taking shelter on a barge in the canal in South Bay. This grandfather was a very successful vegetable farmer in the Glades during WW2. I’ve still got about a half dozen relatives left in the Glades, but there were closer to a hundred 40 years ago. The whole area has always been wild, but the rotten class of criminals that rule the roost now really do make it unlivable. If I didn’t have a wife and kids, I’d still go back. Deep down, I have got the Glades running in my blood. Message your family info—maybe we’re related!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

I was born in Belle Glade! (Technically, I was born in the hospital in West Palm, but we lived in Belle Glade.) My father was born in the “hospital” in Pahokee, but they lived in South Bay. My great uncle was the first mayor of South Bay, and another great uncle served as mayor later. My great grandfather had a farm on the edge of Clewiston, and my grandfather and his siblings and nephew survived the 1928 hurricane by taking shelter on a barge in the canal in South Bay. This grandfather was a very successful vegetable farmer in the Glades during WW2. I’ve still got about a half dozen relatives left in the Glades, but there were closer to a hundred 40 years ago. The whole area has always been wild, but the rotten class of criminals that rule the roost now really do make it unlivable. If I didn’t have a wife and kids, I’d still go back. Deep down, I have got the Glades running in my blood. Message your family info—maybe we’re related!

No way! If we are not related, then at the very least our families know each other. As I am sure you know, Belle Glade is a VERY small town. My mom and all of her brothers and sisters went to Glades Day. Will send you a PM. 

Edited by SWFLchris
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

That coconut gives a really tropical look, that's for sure. They should line the lake with coconuts, maybe away from people so no coconuts fall on anyone. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

On 11/23/2019 at 1:41 PM, Yunder Wækraus said:

You’d prefer property in Pahokee over Queensland?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PalmTreeDude said:

That coconut gives a really tropical look, that's for sure. They should line the lake with coconuts, maybe away from people so no coconuts fall on anyone. 

Lake O has 135 miles of shoreline and is surrounded by a 30' dike.

Edited by SWFLchris
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

You’d prefer property in Pahokee over Queensland?

Blood ties to the land still call me, but, yeah, Queensland obviously has better plants and less crime!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

On 11/23/2019 at 1:41 PM, Yunder Wækraus said:

You could be right about Pahokee being the most freeze-free location on the mainland. It’s a chilly night in Florida and I noticed Pahokee is remarkably warm:

2933E660-A1CA-4071-B374-61CDE9E2F118.thumb.png.af8e07fd3eea34806c82dd697c5abbb1.png

If that thermometer is accurate, it’s still 60f while coastal Palm Beach County is in the 50s. Miami Beach and Key Biscayne are coming in around 60-61f by comparison. There are a few more 60s here in there throughout South Dade too.

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 3

wow! heres a few more photos in Pahokee . not too much interesting was planted besides the Coconut and Lines and lines of royals . Did see this Alexander palm with a larger crown though . 

DSCF0347.jpg.71932ca4ef176dd7c038c3ed0ce79565.jpg

of course the hundreds of ancient royals many the size of the few original Edison plantings in Ft Myers

20191122_103423.jpg.2a803c4bea4e9fa9e20bd390deb08d35.jpg\20191122_112237.jpg.c52c2c79f6327052293eefb9e7d1fbf8.jpg

20191122_112841.jpg.ba2a90f38cd183d6caceea6fc256fa49.jpg20191122_112339.jpg.a14ed25451575e2c193293518de058a8.jpg

Another view of the Giant Coconut .  It is on the center right side in the photo. Notice the height compared to the nearby royals

1719422742_ScreenShot2019-11-25at1_25_49PM.png.8fab0704ba953e304d73cccc5d2f56dd.png

• Like 3

9 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

You could be right about Pahokee being the most freeze-free location on the mainland. It’s a chilly night in Florida and I noticed Pahokee is remarkably warm:

2933E660-A1CA-4071-B374-61CDE9E2F118.thumb.png.af8e07fd3eea34806c82dd697c5abbb1.png

If that thermometer is accurate, it’s still 60f while coastal Palm Beach County is in the 50s. Miami Beach and Key Biscayne are coming in around 60-61f by comparison. There are a few more 60s here in there throughout South Dade too.

I really do believe it. I’m basing it on word of mouth from a family that farmed South Florida for almost a century. I would honestly love to just buy a tiny lot and test some things (e.g. breadfruit tree). 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

I really do believe it. I’m basing it on word of mouth from a family that farmed South Florida for almost a century. I would honestly love to just buy a tiny lot and test some things (e.g. breadfruit tree). 

They’re not too expensive. 30k for a half acre directly on Lake O. It looks like the best microclimate would be just west of downtown Pahokee and that area doesn’t have much for sale unfortunately. 

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

They’re not too expensive. 30k for a half acre directly on Lake O. It looks like the best microclimate would be just west of downtown Pahokee and that area doesn’t have much for sale unfortunately. 

Yeah, I’ve kept an eye on property there for several years. I have no petty cash right now...I’m also 7,000 miles away! But still, I’d love to see someone do some experiments there