IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Giant Washingtonia Filifera i came a cross

Palmfarmer

Not height wise but this one is probably one of the fattest i have seen up close. What makes some filiferas have such fat trunks compared to others is it just good growing conditions and perhaps genetics?

IMG_20191121_132149431.thumb.jpg.d49c4ee5ae15d344a564ade65ade3dbe.jpg

Edited by Palmfarmer
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

Not height wise but this one is probably one of the fattest i have seen up close. What makes some filiferas have such fat trunks compared to others is it just good growing conditions and perhaps genetics?

I'd say genetics - that trunk size looks pretty typical for filiferas around here in San Antonio.  There are a ton of hybrid filibustas being sold as pure robusta or pure filifera in almost every big box or nursery around and their trunks may not be as thick.  In fact it is very difficult to find a pure filifera or robusta for sale due to their popularity and how easily they hybridize.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

Beautiful palm. Looks standard size to me. They do vary quite a bit for several reason: genetics, sun exposure, water exposure etc etc. in the wild there are all sorts of trunk sizes in the same groves. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/23/2019 at 7:47 PM, Ryagra said:

Beautiful palm. Looks standard size to me. They do vary quite a bit for several reason: genetics, sun exposure, water exposure etc etc. in the wild there are all sorts of trunk sizes in the same groves. 

its kind of hard to see the scale from the photo, but its about as wide as a cipd with the typical pineapple pruning. There is mostly Robustas around here and hybrids and a decent amount of Filiferas also. 

• 6 months later...
On 11/22/2019 at 12:00 PM, Palmfarmer said:

Hey Palmfarmer: If you want to see fat trunk W. fliferas look at google street view on the Univ. of Arizona's campus in Tucson on E. University Boulevard. Arizona State U. has nice fat one's also.  Awesome!!! ? howfam

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, howfam said:

Hey Palmfarmer: If you want to see fat trunk W. fliferas look at google street view on the Univ. of Arizona's campus in Tucson on E. University Boulevard. Arizona State U. has nice fat one's also.  Awesome!!! ? howfam

Don't know about @Palmfarmer, but I sure enjoyed seeing them.

For anyone that wants some quick links to the location:

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.2316861,-110.9554473,2a,75y,62.98h,102.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgLtnjDrBuDshVelK9aT9pw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.2320841,-110.9447606,3a,75y,286.06h,101.19t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1sFTj1gIosfA0lx0ZXEQ9Few!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!9m2!1b1!2i37

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

Those are so gorgeous, and ancient. I just wonder how long they've been there. I'm just sold on those huge trunks. I live in North Florida and we have a few nice W. filifera here, but I wish we had more. The closest we can get here, it seems, is Sabal causiarum , also having huge trunks and look good lining an avenue. See the attached photo of what was 2 W. filiferas here in Jacksonville, Fl at a Denny's restaurant off I-95.

20200519_165409.jpg

20200519_165647.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
On 11/22/2019 at 6:00 PM, Palmfarmer said:

Could you get some seeds of this super fat trunk Filifera ?

Thanks 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, rarepalmaddict said:

Thanks 

I will go and see if there is any seeds on it or the other big ones in that area next time I am there. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

I will go and see if there is any seeds on it or the other big ones in that area next time I am there. 

Thank you so much, pure Filifera is m'y biggest dream.

In wich us state is this palm?

Thanks

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, rarepalmaddict said:

Thank you so much, pure Filifera is m'y biggest dream.

In wich us state is this palm?

Thanks

I am in Northern Mexico in Durango, Durango. 

14 hours ago, rarepalmaddict said:

Thanks 

I see lots of fat Filiferas here in San Antonio Texas.  The trunks are giant looking. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MarcusH said:

I see lots of fat Filiferas here in San Antonio Texas.  The trunks are giant looking. 

Could you send me some pictures ?

Thanks 

12 minutes ago, rarepalmaddict said:

Could you send me some pictures ?

Thanks 

I need the time to drive around but this is a picture of a typical Filifera here in SA that I took 2 weeks ago driving from Brackenridge Park on Broadway but let me find you some on Google maps here in this area .

Screenshot_20230817_125405_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, MarcusH said:

I need the time to drive around but this is a picture of a typical Filifera here in SA that I took 2 weeks ago driving from Brackenridge Park on Broadway but let me find you some on Google maps here in this area .

Screenshot_20230817_130345_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20230817_130249_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20230817_130550_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20230817_131223_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20230817_131328_Maps.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, MarcusH said:

Screenshot_20230817_130345_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20230817_130249_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20230817_130550_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20230817_131223_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20230817_131328_Maps.jpg

Some are close to robustas and Filifera Trunks look like hybrid Filibusta, the crown is smaller and the base of the Filifera trunk is not swallen at the base like a bottel

16 minutes ago, rarepalmaddict said:

Check this one

Screenshot_20230817-014000.png

That's definitely a huge trunk. Looks like a good fed pure Filifera to me. Yes some of the pictures I've sent to you have some kind of hybridization in it but still classify as Filifera.  Some of them have a pretty thick trunk but especially the one at the Veteran Memorial downtown.  Most Filifera I see were planted in people's yard but I know of two gigantic Filifera at a funeral home. We went there to get some information and my wife pointed out the fat base at one of the Filifera.  Definitely the largest ones I have seen so far but there's no way I can explore all Filiferas in the city of SA the area is too large for observations i just see them randomly here and there between other palm species .Palm trees are very infrequented planted in San Antonio not as many as most other southern cities in my opinion.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, MarcusH said:

That's definitely a huge trunk. Looks like a good fed pure Filifera to me. Yes some of the pictures I've sent to you have some kind of hybridization in it but still classify as Filifera.  Some of them have a pretty thick trunk but especially the one at the Veteran Memorial downtown.  Most Filifera I see were planted in people's yard but I know of two gigantic Filifera at a funeral home. We went there to get some information and my wife pointed out the fat base at one of the Filifera.  Definitely the largest ones I have seen so far but there's no way I can explore all Filiferas in the city of SA the area is too large for observations i just see them randomly here and there between other palm species .Palm trees are very infrequented planted in San Antonio not as many as most other southern cities in my opinion.  

Would you have any pictures of the : " the one at the Veteran Memorial downtown. and the two gigantic Filifera at a funeral home.".?

Maybe we'll be blessed by the  two gigantic Filifera at a funeral home.

51 minutes ago, rarepalmaddict said:

Would you have any pictures of the : " the one at the Veteran Memorial downtown. and the two gigantic Filifera at a funeral home.".?

Maybe we'll be blessed by the  two gigantic Filifera at a funeral home.

They're in the back of the funeral home but the one at the Veterans memorial I already sent to you .  The trunk is almost as wide as the ones at the funeral home but very similar.  The picture doesn't do it's justice 

Screenshot_20230817_130219_Maps.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rarepalmaddict said:

Check this one

I like the look of those ALOT haha 

T J 

T J 

1 hour ago, MarcusH said:

They're in the back of the funeral home but the one at the Veterans memorial I already sent to you .  The trunk is almost as wide as the ones at the funeral home but very similar.  The picture doesn't do it's justice 

Screenshot_20230817_130219_Maps.jpg

Right, The picture doesn't do it's justice .

I'm curious to see the 2 at the funeral home

16 hours ago, rarepalmaddict said:

Right, The picture doesn't do it's justice .

I'm curious to see the 2 at the funeral home

Me too probably not the widest trunk in the world I think the ones in your picture are pretty hard to beat even it's not a competition or something.  I haven't been exploren the Southwest/ Westcoast yet I'm sure they have some bigger Filiferas to offer due to their climate and soil.  But hands down I think we have some impressive  looking ones too here in SA . Sadly with all Washies many are just hybrids. 

On 8/17/2023 at 2:00 PM, MarcusH said:

On 8/17/2023 at 2:00 PM, MarcusH said:

Nice pics MarcusH. Please give me more detail on their location (Broadway near what?). I'm trying to find them on Street View. Thanks.

Howfam

On 11/22/2019 at 11:00 AM, Palmfarmer said:

There are a really wide trunked species of Sabal Palmetto growing in New Bern, North Carolina called ‘fat boys’ maybe down in Durango, MX you can take credit for spotting the Washingtonia Filifera var. Gordita😚

Edited by Dwarf Fan
  • Upvote 1

I took this picture in San Angelo, Texas. The Yucca faxoniana to the left have pretty stout trunks themselves .D92D18DF-B2DD-485A-82CB-4D5D927BB3DE.thumb.jpeg.931db9ba75db856d86884b267424fd23.jpegThis one is in New Braunfels , Texas and was posted by a member. I saved the picture but not who took it.

B5F5DD65-EC75-4414-8EC0-4B41AA19EB30.jpeg.cb48aa7de487201aab0da605309931fe.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Meangreen94z said:

I took this picture in San Angelo, Texas. The Yucca faxoniana to the left have pretty stout trunks themselves .D92D18DF-B2DD-485A-82CB-4D5D927BB3DE.thumb.jpeg.931db9ba75db856d86884b267424fd23.jpegThis one is in New Braunfels , Texas and was posted by a member. I saved the picture but not who took it.

This Filifera is just terrific, could you get some seeds ?

Just now, rarepalmaddict said:

I mean the one in in San Angelo, Texas.

Beatiful I would love to have a pure Filifera growing next to a Brahea Armata

Edited by Palmfarmer
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, rarepalmaddict said:

San Angelo is 3 hours from where I live, and I don’t know the owners.

San Angelo is 3 hours from where I live, and I don’t know the owners.

In any case the texas puctures you showed seem a Real nice place to live.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akaranus said:

Just one in Croatia.

Screenshot_20230820-221019_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230820-221102_Facebook.jpg

That is an absolute BEAST of a trunk on a relatively short Washingtonia I don’t think I have ever seen a trunk that wide on a Washy that shirt in Southern California, Mexico or Texas… much respect out to Croatia that is an absolute specimen Washingtonia right there! 🤙

That has to be a 100% pure Filifera correct? Do you happen to know how old?

Edited by Dwarf Fan
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

Beatiful I would love to have a pure Filifera growing next to a Brahea Armata

I know you shouldn't have any problem finding a Brahea. Is a pure Washingtonia filifera that hard to secure? Do you ever get up to the El Paso Texas area? They are quite common there, and there aren't that many Filibustas to worry about species contamination.

Hi 98˚, Lo 74˚ Hilary clouds and strong wind (without any rain do far)

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

9 hours ago, Dwarf Fan said:

That is an absolute BEAST of a trunk on a relatively short Washingtonia I don’t think I have ever seen a trunk that wide on a Washy that shirt in Southern California, Mexico or Texas… much respect out to Croatia that is an absolute specimen Washingtonia right there! 🤙

8 hours ago, rarepalmaddict said:

Could you get some seeds ?

I'm in Belgium.

Thanks 

Yea it was..there was no fatest trunk anywhere here...it was my favourite palm that i come to enjoy in her beuty often....but then bunch of idiots deicide to put some air quality measuring house close, and nothing can be in 5m radius so they saw it, without trying to replant somewhere, i was so pissed.....luckily i was taking some seeds before and have babies from it in garden and still 2 in pots.....i call this  extra fat fililifera northern form because they all got huge droopy leaves like livistona genus have...others  around here are classic with stiff leaves and trunk half this site...this one was fat like jubea or even bigger.....there are few close to this one, i will try to collect them for you...

20230821_072724 - Copy.jpg

20230821_072922.jpg

94612542_10217236956460365_3584768469054259200_n - Copy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

www.mediterraneannature.com

9 hours ago, Dwarf Fan said:

around 20yrs in ground from  1m trunk size

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, akaranus said:

Yea it was..there was no fatest trunk anywhere here...it was my favourite palm that i come to enjoy in her beuty often....but then bunch of idiots deicide to put some air quality measuring house close, and nothing can be in 5m radius so they saw it, without trying to replant somewhere, i was so pissed.....luckily i was taking some seeds before and have babies from it in garden and still 2 in pots.....i call this  extra fat fililifera northern form because they all got huge droopy leaves like livistona genus have...others  around here are classic with stiff leaves and trunk half this site...this one was fat like jubea or even bigger.....

That is so sad that this beautiful Palm was chopped down! But I am glad to hear that you preserved the genetics by taking seeds and I remember your lovely garden, that is good news that the offspring will be protected and become a permanent part of your paradise! Now at least this story has a happy Palm ending!

And YES I am not botanist but I have seen enough Washingtonia that I absolutely believe that deserves to be noted as a different form that trunk is uncommon at 20 years even much older Filiferas don’t have trunks that fat, definitely looks more like Jubea size.

around 20yrs in ground from  1m trunk size

Incredible I could tell from the short height that the Palm wasn’t even very old! I have seen much older Filiferas that  don’t have trunks anywhere near that wide! Nice find and great addition to any Palm collection!

Edited by Dwarf Fan
  • Upvote 1

20230821_072724 - Copy.jpg

^^^ Even a baby from this mother definitely looks more Jurassic Dinosaur sized than your typical Filifera!

Edited by Dwarf Fan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Dwarf Fan said:

And YES I am not botanist but I have seen enough Washingtonia that I absolutely believe that deserves to be noted as a different form that trunk is uncommon at 20 years even much older Filiferas don’t have trunks that fat, definitely looks more like Jubea size.

there is some undeground water at this area that can help it grows thicker with bigger leaves but still comparing with classic filifera its complete different palm..i know for two more with that droopy huge leves will take a photo...and  this of mine in the ground is in robusta speed rank, very fast for filifera...it will be interesting to watch who will win the race livistonna on the left, sabala causiarum on the right or filifera in the midlle 😄

• Upvote 1