PalmatierMeg

I have many palms. Most of them are very happy palms because I love them and we treat them well. In turn, they reward us with bountiful crops of seeds. I've learned there is scant interest in seeds of very tropical palms, esp. "common" ones that grow fast and get large no matter how beautiful they are. Today we got out the pole saw to stop these palms from burying us alive in seeds. We ended up with the pile of aborted infructescenses you see in the photos. Sad, I know, but necessary.

For anyone interested, that pile includes the following species as I can best remember:

Adonidia merrillii

Veitchia joannis

Veitchia spiralis

Veitchia winin

Carpentaria acuminata

Dypsis pembana

Coccothrinax sp

Archonotophoenix tuckeri

Archonotophoenix maxima

Ptychosperma elegans

891772362_Infructescensecarnage0111-21-19.thumb.JPG.0bc6661a70d0c33f7dba877c8ab220db.JPG48259310_Infructescensecarnage0211-21-19.thumb.JPG.1b9f67c9501922441c8d5bd62edc417f.JPG1182036439_Infructescensecarnage0311-21-19.thumb.JPG.e2bd9d1ee2e7e46f31eb1ba92ddfcc30.JPG94294020_Infructescensecarnage0511-21-19.thumb.JPG.6208e0c261cd643c095d4c1d8e90bcbf.JPG157739262_Infructescensecarnage0611-21-19.thumb.JPG.e30f82b228d8fa2fca93ddaee9eb36a5.JPG

• Like 1

OC2Texaspalmlvr

Holy Moly Meg that is unreal , necessary evil I can imagine!!

All palms I'll never be able to grow in the ground =/ 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I've had a skinny, solitary Ptychosperma growing up in my back yard for a number of years. It is perhaps 7-8' tall with a trunk about 1-1/2" in diameter and is easy to miss except that earlier this year it flowered for the first time and produced a dazzling, reddish-purple infructescense. Now I want to know what species it is. Can anyone please tell me? It's a dandy little palm.
      Ptychosperma sp ????

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have 100+ seedlings of this rare Archonotophoenix species in 4" pots for sale. A. maxima is the largest of the so-called king palms, reaching up to 25m tall. Palmpedia gives conflicting info on its coldhardiness: one description indicates 28F but another article claims this species has survived frostless 24.4F with 60% leaf burn (which claim is correct I don't know). My mother palm overlooking our canal has no problems with SWFL winters. A. maxima is one of the rarest king palms in the US and difficult to find. See summary below:
      Archonotophoenix maxima seedlings: $1.00 each
      Shipping = $10.00 via Priority Mail. Seedlings will be shipped without pots and most soil with roots protected by damp orchid moss, clear wrap and foil.
      No shipping outside of US. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal. Please PM me if you are interested.
      Photos
      Sample Seedlings for sale

Mother Palm

• SilverDragon
      By SilverDragon
      So I have a few joannis and spiralis seedlings that are doing quite well in some one gallon pots, bit now a few have roots coming out of the bottom. Should I transplant them to a deeper pot? If so, I'd really appreciate it if someone could link me a site where I can order the deep black square pots I see many growers using on here.
    • SilverDragon
      By SilverDragon
      I love animals, but even at the zoo, plants will always catch my eye first

• Rd003
      By Rd003
      Was at my grandparent’s house today and their front neighbors have a curious triple Veitchia specimen.. my guess would be V. winin
      some closeups of the fruit which look different from my V. arecina/joannis at home
      any ideas!!