IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hellstrip Tree Selection

Chester B

This winter/spring I will be removing some decent size red maples that were planted in my hell strip.  The issue with these trees aside from the constant mess they make is that their roots are so invasive and are lifting the sidewalks.  The hellstrip is quite narrow I would say around 3' wide and has a S and SW aspect as I am on a corner lot.  Full disclosure I have some nosy neighbors so I want to plant some broadleaf evergreen trees for year round  blocking.  It's pretty dry here so minimal water in the summer will be supplied.  Other requirements would be relatively fast growing, minimally invasive roots and mature height of 20'+.  Also I am in zone 8B.  The one tree I am considering is the Silverleaf oak - Quercus hypoleucoides.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

This winter/spring I will be removing some decent size red maples that were planted in my hell strip.  The issue with these trees aside from the constant mess they make is that their roots are so invasive and are lifting the sidewalks.  The hellstrip is quite narrow I would say around 3' wide and has a S and SW aspect as I am on a corner lot.  Full disclosure I have some nosy neighbors so I want to plant some broadleaf evergreen trees for year round  blocking.  It's pretty dry here so minimal water in the summer will be supplied.  Other requirements would be relatively fast growing, minimally invasive roots and mature height of 20'+.  Also I am in zone 8B.  The one tree I am considering is the Silverleaf oak - Quercus hypoleucoides.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Like the idea of Q. hypolecoides. Beautiful tree. Wish it were offered locally, esp.  since its a AZ native.  Not sure why none of the local nurseries sell them. They can get pretty big eventually though.  

Some smaller stuff that comes from the same general area as this Oak, and should do fine up there. Not sure how easy any of these might be to find up there though.

Mexican Buckeye, 9-15' height. Nice drought tolerant small tree for spring flowers ( kind of looks like Redbud ( another good option as well ) when flowering) yellow leaves in the fall.  Interesting seedpods.

Texas Mtn. Laurel.  10-15' sometimes 20' height. Evergreen, spectacular when flowering in the spring. Survives on practically no extra water once established. Flowers smell like grape soda. Pods can hang on the tree for awhile after maturing though.

Anacacho Orchid tree, 10-15' height. Evergreen or semi deciduous ( likely dropping most foliage where colder ) Tough as nails and spectacular when flowering.  There's a pink flowered variety also but harder to find. 

Texas Olive ( Cordia boissieri )  Hear different things regarding overall hardiness.. some sources say 9a, others suggest 8b, maybe 8a. Worth trying in zone 8 regardless. Another small or medium sized tree that takes a lot of abuse and can survive on pretty much no extra water once established.  Only drawback are the fruits. Some specimens produce tons of them. 

• Like 1

This one is cool too.. admittedly I have never seen one before but it is getting me interested in planting some for a windbreak.. its nice to have options other than italian cypress.

Liquidamber styraciflua ‘Slender Silhouette’

• Like 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Thanks for the suggestions.  I like the look of the Texas Mtn Laurel, I don't think I've seen any of those species listed around here.  Possibly a mail order plant for me.

The sweet gum tree are readily available around here and in the columnar form.  There are a bunch of the regular ones around my neighborhood but they are terribly messy trees.

I found the Calpoly tree selector yesterday and although not perfect it came up with a few interesting suggestions.

Loquat - These are easy to get here and growing in popularity.  We even get fruit some years

Jelecote Pine - Pinis patula - I know nothing about this tree

And it also suggested some Eucalyptus - neglecta, pauciflora and nicholii - I have these already and have more seeds ready to germinate, but I was under the impression Eucalyptus roots would damage sidewalks??

29 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I like the look of the Texas Mtn Laurel, I don't think I've seen any of those species listed around here.  Possibly a mail order plant for me.

The sweet gum tree are readily available around here and in the columnar form.  There are a bunch of the regular ones around my neighborhood but they are terribly messy trees.

I found the Calpoly tree selector yesterday and although not perfect it came up with a few interesting suggestions.

Loquat - These are easy to get here and growing in popularity.  We even get fruit some years

Jelecote Pine - Pinis patula - I know nothing about this tree

And it also suggested some Eucalyptus - neglecta, pauciflora and nicholii - I have these already and have more seeds ready to germinate, but I was under the impression Eucalyptus roots would damage sidewalks??

Generally, yes.. would avoid using Eucs in narrow areas. That said, some present less agressive root systems than others.  The other thing you have to be aware of with Eucalyptus is some are very damage prone.. making them a potential hazard in storms, especially where anyone walking by could be impacted. 

Loquat are great trees, with the added bonus of fruit. Don't usually get too tall either.  Curious about that Pinus sp. myself.  If you can find it ( a nursery up your way supposedly had some for sale recently ) super rare  Pinus maximartinizii ( Big Cone Pinyon, from Mexico as well )  might be worth finding a spot for, even if not a perfect fit for your hell strip.

If you can't find sources for TX mtn. Laurel ( even if you decide to plant it somewhere else ) or anything else I'd listed, but might be interested in trialing, let me know.. have plenty of.. ( and access to more ) seed of Anacacho Orchid / TX Mtn Laurel,  etc. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Generally, yes.. would avoid using Eucs in narrow areas. That said, some present less agressive root systems than others.  The other thing you have to be aware of with Eucalyptus is some are very damage prone.. making them a potential hazard in storms, especially where anyone walking by could be impacted. 

Loquat are great trees, with the added bonus of fruit. Don't usually get too tall either.  Curious about that Pinus sp. myself.  If you can find it ( a nursery up your way supposedly had some for sale recently ) super rare  Pinus maximartinizii ( Big Cone Pinyon, from Mexico as well )  might be worth finding a spot for, even if not a perfect fit for your hell strip.

If you can't find sources for TX mtn. Laurel ( even if you decide to plant it somewhere else ) or anything else I'd listed, but might be interested in trialing, let me know.. have plenty of.. ( and access to more ) seed of Anacacho Orchid / TX Mtn Laurel,  etc. 

I'll take a look into that pine.  The nursery that carries them is a little too far for me to visit, so I'll have to do mail order.

I'd definitely be up for trying some of your natives especially the TX Mtn Laurel.  We get regular Mountain laurel (Kalmia) but not what you have.  Thank you.

• Like 1