IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Iron before Winter

MattyB

We’re getting our first rain in many many months and I threw down 50 lbs of Iron to help really green things up in preparation for Winter. Palms tend to yellow here in Winter and I’ve found that if I apply iron while it’s still warm enough to be absorbed then the palms tend to yellow a lot less. Anyone else have this strategy?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matty,

What type of iron are you using?  We missed most of the rain yesterday here in SB, but I was wanting to do a similar last feed before winter.  

Seems like a solid idea. This is my first year with fertigation though so I'm going to see how the results are this winter.

On 11/20/2019 at 6:06 PM, MattyB said:

We’re getting our first rain in many many months and I threw down 50 lbs of Iron to help really green things up in preparation for Winter. Palms tend to yellow here in Winter and I’ve found that if I apply iron while it’s still warm enough to be absorbed then the palms tend to yellow a lot less. Anyone else have this strategy?

Interesting. My palms seem to yellow out after summer-fall. Not winter.  How many years have you applied this technique?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I just feed all my palms with full spectrum Palm Gain in late October and it works wonders on the palms that normally yellow some by late winter. 

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

11 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

I just feed all my palms with full spectrum Palm Gain in late October and it works wonders on the palms that normally yellow some by late winter. 

Won't low soil temperature during winter prevent nutrients absorption?

2 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Won't low soil temperature during winter prevent nutrients absorption?

My soil temperatures at time of feeding in late October are very high at between 70° and 80°. Even now in late November soil here is 63-70°. My palms are taking up the fertilizer now for sure and will be ready for chillier weather when it arrives. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

On 11/22/2019 at 1:29 AM, Matt in OC said:

Seems like a solid idea. This is my first year with fertigation though so I'm going to see how the results are this winter.

My results have been very noticeable since I started fertigation.