IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Powder Puff Tree

bubba

Calliandra haematocephala is native to Bolivia but can be grown in USDA locations 9-11. It is a beautiful shrub with redish, pink flowers and has a fragrant smell. It should be planted more frequently.

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

On 11/20/2019 at 8:45 AM, bubba said:

Calliandra haematocephala is native to Bolivia but can be grown in USDA locations 9-11. It is a beautiful shrub with redish, pink flowers and has a fragrant smell. It should be planted more frequently.

Think the one pictured is Calliandra surinamensis.. Pinkish colored form of C. haematocephala is a touch darker than this one. Dont recall any sort of flower scent on C. haematoceph. either. Side by side, both look quite similar w/ out flowers though ( had both for awhile)  Regardless, both are great and equally as hardy ( can drop leaves if frosted at 32'ish but comes back quickly.  Supposedly will regrow from the crown if cut down by a significant freeze, or is what I've seen referenced from a few different sources. Can't vouch for how accurate that might be. )  seen both here in Phoenix ( both sold at a local nursery,  no idea how they do in the ground as i havent yet encountered any ) and fairly common ( at least C. haematoceph. ) in Calif.  Thinking @DoomsDave has talked about a monster specimen in his yard before.. Seen it used as 8' privacy hedges around Vista/ Oceanside.  Like the look more than Bougainvillea. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Think the one pictured is Calliandra surinamensis.. Pinkish colored form of C. haematocephala is a touch darker than this one. Dont recall any sort of flower scent on C. haematoceph. either. Side by side, both look quite similar w/ out flowers though ( had both for awhile)  Regardless, both are great and equally as hardy ( can drop leaves if frosted at 32'ish but comes back quickly.  Supposedly will regrow from the crown if cut down by a significant freeze, or is what I've seen referenced from a few different sources. Can't vouch for how accurate that might be. )  seen both here in Phoenix ( both sold at a local nursery,  no idea how they do in the ground as i havent yet encountered any ) and fairly common ( at least C. haematoceph. ) in Calif.  Thinking @DoomsDave has talked about a monster specimen in his yard before.. Seen it used as 8' privacy hedges around Vista/ Oceanside.  Like the look more than Bougainvillea. 

Be careful how you use calliandras, at least the big species I have in my yard. It metastasizes all over the place by rooting creeping branches. Sometimes you want The Huns if there’s serious looting and putting to the sword to be done. Most times be careful.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.