Sign in to follow this  
BayAndroid

King Palm ID?

BayAndroid

I was grabbing some seeds on a trip to Paradise Point in San Diego and I noticed this very large king palm (I believe thats what it is) I noticed how rigid it was and immediately thought Maxima, but maybe I'm wrong? These are the best pics I could find online.... Sorry, I am kicking myself for not taking pics while I was there, but, I was at the pool! 

(by the way, the seeds were red; the fruit I guess. Round in shape) 

Screenshot_20191119-220723_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20191119-220613_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20191119-220453_Maps.jpg

Edited by BayAndroid

James B

Crownshaft looks too thick looks like Cunninghamiana.  The leaves are very upright so perhaps it could be a hybrid between Cunninghamiana and Alexandrae. There are so many Kings on that property it’s possible. There are several large Alexandrae at Paradise point which are 40ft plus by the lobby entrance and the tower. Whether or not they are true Alexander’s or Maxima I’m not sure.

Edited by James B

DoomsDave

What color are the blossoms? If they're purple it's cunninghamiana or a hybrid with it. All the other species have white blossoms.

• Upvote 1

BayAndroid

I remember at the time being kind of puzzled by it, I think it must have been a hybrid, because the crownshaft looked like a Cunninghamiana and unfortunately, I don't remember the color of the flower. Those Alexandrae in the front by the tower were stunning. 

Thanks guys, I have some of the seeds, and one has just sprouted, so I suppose I must have a very robust hybrid on the way. 

DoomsDave
On 11/20/2019 at 1:47 PM, BayAndroid said:

I remember at the time being kind of puzzled by it, I think it must have been a hybrid, because the crownshaft looked like a Cunninghamiana and unfortunately, I don't remember the color of the flower. Those Alexandrae in the front by the tower were stunning. 

Thanks guys, I have some of the seeds, and one has just sprouted, so I suppose I must have a very robust hybrid on the way. 

Are the reverses on the baby's leaves silver or whitish? If so, it's likely an alex or other, or at least a hybrid.

• Like 2

Tyrone

A robust well grown Bangalow I reckon.