Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
NC_Palm_Enthusiast

Palms to try in zone 7a/7b?

Recommended Posts

NC_Palm_Enthusiast

I live right on the 7a/7b line in the western piedmont of NC and I'm looking for some new palms to try. Currently, I have three Sabal Minor var. Louisianas and three potted majesty palms. The majesty palms have grown to be quite large and I'm worried I won't be able to fit them inside next winter. I'd like to replace them with some palms (other than Sabal Minor) that are hardy to my zone and can be planted directly into the ground.  I'm relatively new to palm cultivation so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen

Sabal Minor and Needle palm are the only 2 you won't have to protect for sure.

Other sabals maybe like Louisiana and Birmingham and Brazoria may do fine.

Palms that you may need to protect

Trachycarpus Fortunei

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmatierMeg

Rhapidophyllum hystrix is being reliably grown as far north as MD. Sabal palmetto, esp one sourced from NC, might also work. Sabal palmetto Mocksville is a variety that is reputed to be cold hardier than standard S.p. according to Plant Delights Nursery. I know you indicated no more S. minor but there are a number of varieties of that species in different sizes and colorations. Also check out Chamaerops humilis. As for pinnate palms, your choices are quite limited: perhaps Chamaedorea microspadix or radicalis. Butias may need protection at times.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmTreeDude

Hello, I am near the boarder of zone 7a/7b in Virginia, just Southwest of Richmond by about 15 miles. Your climate is a bit warmer since you are farther south. The first thing I recommend is that you plant some Rhapidophyllum hystrix and Sabal minor as soon as you can (in the Spring) since they grow slowly, even in climates with long hot growing seasons. Both of these palms do fine here.  I would definitely try some hardier varieties of Sabal palmetto, such as Sabal palmetto 'Mocksville' like PalmatierMeg suggested. You would have to protect it at least a few times a year on the coldest nights, but it would be worth it. A Trachycarpus fortunei might actually survive most of your winters on its own, but I would still make sure you have a way to protect it. You can also grow some less hardy species and protect them through the winters. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NC_Palm_Enthusiast
26 minutes ago, Allen said:

Sabal Minor and Needle palm are the only 2 you won't have to protect for sure.

Other sabals maybe like Louisiana and Birmingham and Brazoria may do fine.

Palms that you may need to protect

Trachycarpus Fortunei

  

Lots of people around me have trachycarpus palms, in fact my neighbor has a really old one that’s around 30 feet tall. Thinking about planting one but I’m not sure if I should go with fortunei or wagnerianus.

Edited by NC_Palm_Enthusiast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NC_Palm_Enthusiast
21 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Rhapidophyllum hystrix is being reliably grown as far north as MD. Sabal palmetto, esp one sourced from NC, might also work. Sabal palmetto Mocksville is a variety that is reputed to be cold hardier than standard S.p. according to Plant Delights Nursery. I know you indicated no more S. minor but there are a number of varieties of that species in different sizes and colorations. Also check out Chamaerops humilis. As for pinnate palms, your choices are quite limited: perhaps Chamaedorea microspadix or radicalis. Butias may need protection at times.

Thanks, I’ll have to look into those. Palmettos are no doubt my favorite palm so I’ll definitely try some a couple of the more cold hardy varieties. I’ve seen a few growing in nearby Greensboro so hopefully that means they’ll do ok this far from the coast.

Edited by NC_Palm_Enthusiast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NC_Palm_Enthusiast
9 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Hello, I am near the boarder of zone 7a/7b in Virginia, just Southwest of Richmond by about 15 miles. Your climate is a bit warmer since you are farther south. The first thing I recommend is that you plant some Rhapidophyllum hystrix and Sabal minor as soon as you can (in the Spring) since they grow slowly, even in climates with long hot growing seasons. Both of these palms do fine here.  I would definitely try some hardier varieties of Sabal palmetto, such as Sabal palmetto 'Mocksville' like PalmatierMeg suggested. You would have to protect it at least a few times a year on the coldest nights, but it would be worth it. A Trachycarpus fortunei might actually survive most of your winters on its own, but I would still make sure you have a way to protect it. You can also grow some less hardy species and protect them through the winters. 

Yes, I’ll have to try to some of the cold hardy varieties of palmetto. Like I told palmatierMeg, they’re my favorite palm species and I’ve seen some being grown in Greensboro which is not too far from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen
8 minutes ago, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

Yes, I’ll have to try to some of the cold hardy varieties of palmetto. Like I told palmatierMeg, they’re my favorite palm species and I’ve seen some being grown in Greensboro which is not too far from me.

But you can't get a special variety like Mocksville except strap leaf and it will take years to get big as a bush.   A palmetto may die eventually but try it.

18 minutes ago, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

Lots of people around me have trachycarpus palms, in fact my neighbor has a really old one that’s around 30 feet tall. Thinking about planting one but I’m not sure if I should go with fortunei or wagnerianus.

Fortunei is so much faster for me.   Fortunei widely available in all sizes, Wagnerianus is usually only available up to 3' or so tall.  Faster and floppy fronds (Fortunei) or smaller/slower and stiff fronds (Waggy).

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NC_Palm_Enthusiast
1 hour ago, Allen said:

But you can't get a special variety like Mocksville except strap leaf and it will take years to get big as a bush.   A palmetto may die eventually but try it.

Fortunei is so much faster for me.   Fortunei widely available in all sizes, Wagnerianus is usually only available up to 3' or so tall.  Faster and floppy fronds (Fortunei) or smaller/slower and stiff fronds (Waggy).

Ok, in that case I'll probably try a fortunei. Thanks for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jfrye01@live.com

I'm in a high end zone 6b and Sabal minor, rhapidophyllum, Sabal louisiana and brazoriensis seem to be the best bet around here.  Sabal Birmingham is somewhat hard to find but is an incredibly hardy S. Palmetto cultivar if you want a trunking palm, but who doesn't? :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EastCanadaTropicals
On 11/15/2019 at 5:26 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

Rhapidophyllum hystrix is being reliably grown as far north as MD. Sabal palmetto, esp one sourced from NC, might also work. Sabal palmetto Mocksville is a variety that is reputed to be cold hardier than standard S.p. according to Plant Delights Nursery. I know you indicated no more S. minor but there are a number of varieties of that species in different sizes and colorations. Also check out Chamaerops humilis. As for pinnate palms, your choices are quite limited: perhaps Chamaedorea microspadix or radicalis. Butias may need protection at times.

Arent the northernmost unprotected needle palms in Cape Cod? St Catherines might also be possible in a sheltered microclimate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palm Man
On 11/15/2019 at 7:59 PM, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

Ok, in that case I'll probably try a fortunei. Thanks for your help!

If you live near the Piedmont Triad Farmers Market, I've seen 3-7 gallon Trachycarpus for sale during the summer months. As you know, Trachycarpus has been grown for many years in the Greensboro area and there are some very large specimens there. I live in Mocksville, west of Winston-Salem and there are Trachycarpus being grown in this county as well, although not quite as old. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NC_Palm_Enthusiast
49 minutes ago, Palm Man said:

If you live near the Piedmont Triad Farmers Market, I've seen 3-7 gallon Trachycarpus for sale during the summer months. As you know, Trachycarpus has been grown for many years in the Greensboro area and there are some very large specimens there. I live in Mocksville, west of Winston-Salem and there are Trachycarpus being grown in this county as well, although not quite as old. 

Thanks for the tip. I actually bought a 3gal fortunei from the farmers market this past summer, it's doing well thus far. Windmills seem to be increasingly common in my area, which is great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
climate change virginia
52 minutes ago, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

increasingly common in my area

lucky the only palms near me are potted palms. no outdoor trachies which is sad. there is a few musa basjoos near me. however canna lilies are very popular where I live. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NC_Palm_Enthusiast
29 minutes ago, climate change virginia said:

lucky the only palms near me are potted palms. no outdoor trachies which is sad. there is a few musa basjoos near me. however canna lilies are very popular where I live. 

Well hey, maybe you can start a trend :greenthumb: Musa basjoo and canna lillies are super common here as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chad king NC

I live on the northern edge of the Peidmont and have killed several trachycarpus.  Larger ones definitely do better here unless I can plant the next to the house.  The polar vortex winter killed my sabal palmetto, chamaerops humilis var. cerifera and butia.  I have since replanted them all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • McClell.Col829
      By McClell.Col829
      Can somebody please help me out, I am currently growing W. Filiferas, T. fortunei, R. Hystrix, C. Humilis and a couple butias. I lost my biggest W. Filifera this last winter due to fungal infection, I’m wondering what do you use? Daconil or Copper Fungicides? Also what brand of Anti-dessicants if any do you use? Any input will be greatly appreciated. 
       
      thank you 
       

    • mfpalms
      By mfpalms
      Trachycarpus ukhulensis   15 gallon    $95.00 
      31/2  to 4 feet high from soil line
      Leaves are green on upper sides and silvery white on undersides
      Grayish-brown fibers surround trunk 
      Trunk will grow to 6 inches wide
      Rare palm from China
      cold hardy
      (760) 723-8886


    • Jimhardy
      By Jimhardy
      These have been hard to come by unlike the "old" days!
       
      He has McCurtain and Louisiana.
       
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/133752952052
    • Collectorpalms
      By Collectorpalms
      Howdy, I had a plant nursery in Texas for a decade until 2010, called CollectorPalms. 

      I have considered restarting with “Texas Tough Plants” ; lots of native plants and ones that do well here and similar places. Right now it’s still a dream, but I have the availability to get it up and running in a year. I have experience growing & shipping small to large palms. Others, I may need some input.

      Why, I think it’s needed, it’s difficult to get certain plants. 10-20 years ago had a lot of good nurseries that are no longer... they retired mostly. Also the recession of 2008 hurt a lot of nurseries. I also have no local competition. No other cool Nurseries. 
       
      Question to all.
       
      What would you like to see available at the nursery? Specific palms, agaves, yuccas, cactus, trees etc... sizes & prices?
      Thanks for the ideas. I have a list already in mind, but want good feedback from others. 
      Everyone reading this, give me your thoughts! Please! Thanks in Advance!
    • Landasaw
      By Landasaw
×
×
  • Create New...