IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trellis Questions (Syngonium)

soscared

Wonering if anyone here has gotten their syngonium to climb up a tall trellis. I've seen people growing them with moss poles a lot, but I worry about rot, gnats, and would just overall prefer the look of a trellis.

I don't have any climbing plants, so I'm not sure what's best to use. Would they be able to climb metal, or is that too temperature sensitive/slick? What would you recommend? Is it important not to disturb the trellis, or could you replace an existing trellis with another? Should I secure the  stems to the trellis? 

Thanks && stay warm!

13 hours ago, soscared said:

Wonering if anyone here has gotten their syngonium to climb up a tall trellis. I've seen people growing them with moss poles a lot, but I worry about rot, gnats, and would just overall prefer the look of a trellis.

I don't have any climbing plants, so I'm not sure what's best to use. Would they be able to climb metal, or is that too temperature sensitive/slick? What would you recommend? Is it important not to disturb the trellis, or could you replace an existing trellis with another? Should I secure the  stems to the trellis? 

Thanks && stay warm!

Would think a standard wood  trellis would work fine for these as they readily climb trees / work their way up/ through chain link fences in Florida pretty easily. Thinking they put out aerial roots, like Ivy or various vining Phillodendrons. Agree that that a moss pole might slowly deteriate over time. Securing the stems to the trellis might be helpful in getting it started.  Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

Depending on your climate, Syngonium is very invasive and hard to control. Put it at the base of anything and it'll be up all over it in no time. Doesn't seem to attach well to metal but I do have it all over a 10,000 litre water tank, plastic. I leave it because it helps shade the tank from the sun, Wood of course it readily attaches to. But when it becomes dense it creates it's own humid microclimate and wood can end up rotting out more rapidly. Some living trees they can kill.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 9:18 PM, soscared said:

Thanks && stay warm!

I'll be curious to hear how Syngonium does for you in Albuquerque. It is invasive in Brownsville (where I collected my starter) where it only occasionally freezes.  Here in Austin it burns back to the roots almost every year, so it never quite climbs my liveoak like I had hoped.  It does thrive during our summers and seems to pop up (unexpectedly) in parts of my yard where I did not intend for it to be. From my experience, I would say the foliage is hardy to about 25F and the roots are hardy into the teens. I would expect it will need regular watering in your neck of the woods. Please post an update here in the future.

• Like 1

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

10 hours ago, Austinpalm said:

I'll be curious to hear how Syngonium does for you in Albuquerque. It is invasive in Brownsville (where I collected my starter) where it only occasionally freezes.  Here in Austin it burns back to the roots almost every year, so it never quite climbs my liveoak like I had hoped.  It does thrive during our summers and seems to pop up (unexpectedly) in parts of my yard where I did not intend for it to be. From my experience, I would say the foliage is hardy to about 25F and the roots are hardy into the teens. I would expect it will need regular watering in your neck of the woods. Please post an update here in the future.

I'm actually growing it indoors in containers for now! They definitely burn easily, so i have mine near a north facing window that doesn't get much light across the room from a west facing window.

I am considering planting some outside on that north wall, since most of the direct light is blocked by my neighbors apartment.  I'm surprised they are so cold-hardy! I'm also curious as to how they'd react to the dry cold here. It's definitely too dry for any to pop up unexpectedly though haha, I'm a little envious of that!