IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Global warming my butt

Rickybobby

I live southern Ontario and with the global warming we only get more extremes 

last night we had a record November snowfall most in 70 years 

0BD7D615-F93B-4EEE-9CE9-226D1F8511E9.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Wow! That's a pain in the bum if you like growing palms but it does look really pretty mate! I've never seen snow in my life!

Yeah seems winter comes earlier and hits harder than ever before. While summer is getting slightly warmer sorta, winter has become extremely more noticeable in its harshness and length. Right now our highs should be near 60 and lows in the mid 30s to low 40s. We arent even close to that for the first half of the months and lets not talk about October where its supposed to be 70s and 50s when it was 50s and lower....

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Winters in Ontario the last number of years have been so different than previous 10-15.  Before I left I was getting multiple ice storms per year whereas I can hardly remember there ever being one in the previous 20.  From what my parents are telling me winter is extending late and there is almost no spring.  Winter - summer and back again.  You guys are definitely getting the short end of the stick.

• Like 1

Yeah but we will get this now and in January it will be 50 degrees lol I sold my snowmobile last year because believe it or not we don’t get enough snow down here anymore 

• Like 1

I used to live about 500 feet from Lake Ontario in Oakville.  We'd be getting rain when north of the QEW was getting snow, it was a great microclimate.  We rarely had snow, and it was usually short lived.  The best winter we had the most snow I saw was 1/2", I didn't even have to break out the snow shovel.  When spring came around it would take a while to heat up though, the first few 20C days we'd be stuck at 10C.  

Recent pattern here in the upper Mid Atlantic (NJ), has been long summer seasons, lingering into Autumn, then SUDDEN cold.  End result, is that the Autumn foliage has not been good at all in recent years. You get frozen, green leaves. My Japanese Maple still has leaves on it.  They should be scarlet RED right now, but they are still Summer purple but sorta crispy due to the cold. Some deciduous trees still have green leaves for some reason. This has been the third year in a row with this pattern.  Then,  after the onslaught of real and premature cold, it kinda gets milder than normal

Springlike weather seems to pop up earlier though..., like in February.

• 1 year later...

In the past years, I noticed many new and strange phenomenon. Starting with strong earthquakes and ending up with one of the biggest problems - ocean pollution. Ocean plastic is a growing problem today as more and more consumer goods are being produced with materials like plastic marine recycle. This means that there is a chance that we may play a significant role in the destruction of our planet over the next several decades if we don't take action soon. Still, help like ocg.org needs to be appreciated because their goal is to clean and keep the ocean healthy.

Edited by AmyBuckland
  • Like 1

With 1 country accounting for close to 1/3 of all plastics in the Ocean :hmm: yet it'll somehow fall on our backs & our children's, children's backs to pay for it.  literally & figuratively.

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Well, I'm not sufficienly educated enough to understand the scientific side of it, but in my lifetime as a weather enthusiast, I have seen the increases in temps and rainfall  in Northern Australia
https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/three-numbers-you-need-to-know-from-this-weeks-ipcc-report-/534752

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The continent down under is definitely warming. I'm sure we are not the only one. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 3 weeks later...

In North America, we now seem divided into a freakish, droughty, hot, arid WEST with massive, uncontrollable wildfires and historic, monsoonal, flooding rainfalls in the EAST (alternately with "flash droughts").  We have had two FEET of rain in July and August, and September is beginning with a forecast of 5-8 inches  tomorrow from a hurricane that made landfall over 1,000 miles away! Yes, local temps have warmed, but I think most people locally (NJ) are experiencing the changers in precipitation more immediately and directly than the changes in temperature. And if the changes are not been experienced in your neck of the woods yet, just wait! 

Edited by oasis371
  • Upvote 1

On 8/31/2021 at 12:48 PM, oasis371 said:

In North America, we now seem divided into a freakish, droughty, hot, arid WEST with massive, uncontrollable wildfires and historic, monsoonal, flooding rainfalls in the EAST (alternately with "flash droughts").  We have had two FEET of rain in July and August, and September is beginning with a forecast of 5-8 inches  tomorrow from a hurricane that made landfall over 1,000 miles away! Yes, local temps have warmed, but I think most people locally (NJ) are experiencing the changers in precipitation more immediately and directly than the changes in temperature. And if the changes are not been experienced in your neck of the woods yet, just wait! 

Just you wait "Enry Iggins, just you wayt".

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 8/31/2021 at 12:48 PM, oasis371 said:

Yep..  Those who have chosen to ignore the obvious, will suffer the consequences of premeditated denial ..Sooner rather than later.. 

Hope everyone there in NJ is alright after tonight's crazy floods.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Yep..  Those who have chosen to ignore the obvious, will suffer the consequences of premeditated denial ..Sooner rather than later.. 

I'm sure those in Galveston (1900 - Hurricane), Lake Okeechobee (1928 - Hurricane), Johnstown PA (1889 - severe rains/flooding), or Sea Islands SC (1893 - Hurricane) were "ignoring the obvious'" too, were they?

These were the top 4 worst floods in US history. All pre 1930....

They should be post humously repenting for their carbon emissions and use of plastic bags... According to your mindset.

What's even more interesting is that just 5 of the top thirty worst floods in US history were post 1975. 

*Crickets*

Just saying.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sipalms said:

They should be post humously repenting for their carbon emissions and use of plastic bags... According to your mindset.

As an adult would explain to a child ( or another adult ) bad choices = consequences.. choose them, sit in the corner ( or jail, ..if your choices break the law / threaten the safety of others ) and think about your choice of action ( s ) and the value of making better decisions next time. Keep making bad choices, face more severe consequences..

Just like fossil fuel, all synthetic fertilizers, weed killers, and insecticides, ..plastics should be banned ...until something better is developed, in the case of plastic.

If humans are too lazy ..or unwilling to take the next steps -innovation- wise, to develop options that benefit everyone, and have very little impact on where everyone lives,   go without.. 

As far as Fertilizers.. many fantastic organic options these days.. Synthetics do wayy more harm than good.  Live with, or re-learn ( if you have to ) how to manage pesty insects / aggressive weeds w/ out options that alter the natural balance of everything / create even harder to manage problems sooner rather than later.

Aint no one going out into the woods making sure all the trees look " prefect ", mowing / scraping up the weeds/ those unsightly mushrooms,  spraying away all the bugs that might, Gasp! eat some leaves off the trees from time to time..

The same people who complain about a few eaten leaves, imperfect looking plants that don't fit some out dated idea of perfection, or that the Mangroves / other trees beyond their property line are blocking " their " idealistic views,   are the same people who complain that their beaches / lakes are full of dead fish and stinky red or bluish green water,   that the cost of seafood ..or anything else effected by damage to the environment is " too high " ..that they have to move because their house slid off a cliff  -that should have never been built on in the first place ...and that because the nearby national forests / parks are closed during certain times of year / during certain extreme weather conditions ..to, god help everyone, reduce the potential for fires ...or keep people from suffering life threatening issues related to X extreme weather conditions..  that the government is taking away their  " freedoms ".. 

Grow up,  ..or take your thorny lumps of reality w/ out complaint..

As for floods and other weather extremes,  ..weather happens..

That said, there's a difference between a 100yr flood event that happens once ..every 100-500 years.. and 100-500yr events that occur every, idk, 10, 20 years.. and may be a touch worse each time it occurs in the future.. 

Any wise person who chooses to live in places where damage from extreme weather events can occur usually accepts what they may face  ..or they don't live there..  It is never the fault of some mythical being " bestowing a wrath upon you " .. you chose to live where one has occurred in the past, and will happen again, especially when enhanced by human actions..

Again, that persons choice.. and the consequences of that choice..

• Like 3

Sometimes I question this narrative though, at least as it is peddled in the corporate news media.

This year was the mildest June I could remember in Arizona.  My wife, my three kids and myself ate lunch and dinner on the back porch all the way til the 25th or 26th or something.  Normally we're inside by the very beginning of June, if not the end of May.

Then - I saw a news article in AZFamily in early July that said "It's official - Phoenix sees its hottest June on record."

This is the kind of stuff that sows doubt, I believe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ahosey01 said:

Sometimes I question this narrative though, at least as it is peddled in the corporate news media.

This year was the mildest June I could remember in Arizona.  My wife, my three kids and myself ate lunch and dinner on the back porch all the way til the 25th or 26th or something.  Normally we're inside by the very beginning of June, if not the end of May.

Then - I saw a news article in AZFamily in early July that said "It's official - Phoenix sees its hottest June on record."

This is the kind of stuff that sows doubt, I believe.

Keep in mind that the monthly temperature/ rainfall totals etc... take into account what occurs - across the state- not just in your back yard or mine.. Definitely was not " mild "  for a lot of the state.

As far as framing.. the only people who matter w/ this sort of info, or regarding shifts in plant zones, are the folks who get paid to do the research/ number crunching..  everyone else is just parroting what the folks who get paid find.  If climate scientists say we were warmer than average, they're correct.. 

btw, AZ family's Wx team needs a major overhaul..  Royal needs to retire, Wasn't a fan of Paul Horton when both of us were in Cincinnati, ..and who ever the new person is who does the weather on the weekends, ax, now.. Cringe worthy.  Give me 20 weather casters w/ the same respectability as Brian Busby, ( forecaster at KMBC, Kansas City ) one of the best weather folks in the business.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

If climate scientists say we were warmer than average, they're correct.. 

I'm sure the people believe the Nazi scientists we're correct in their eugenics program. 

Seriously,  with all the money involved there's no room for corruption? You could pay most people to say just about anything. With all the distractions in the world it'll be easy to pad the numbers & say this place experienced hotter than average summer in 2021. 5 years down the line you'll never question anything about it, even though it was a warm yes but normal summer in my area ( not speaking for anyone else) just saying it's very possible. Year after year after year of doing this what do you know, we've got a trend of above average temperatures. I've looked up past history temperatures for my area & have found a ton of discrepancies. 

As far as " bad choices = consequences " , I think most people on here understand this fully. But for who's bad choices are we paying consequences for? 

According to researchers just 25 cities in the world contribute more the half the global greenhouse emissions in the world. With only 3 of these cities not in China. 

• Upvote 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

40 minutes ago, Jubaea_James760 said:

I'm sure the people believe the Nazi scientists we're correct in their eugenics program. 

Seriously,  with all the money involved there's no room for corruption?
 Possible, something you see more in the AG sector for sure rather than Climatologists who spend every hour of their day out doing research, then analyzing data collected. 

You could pay most people to say just about anything.
Some people.. those who are already corrupt.

With all the distractions in the world it'll be easy to pad the numbers & say this place experienced hotter than average summer in 2021. 5 years down the line you'll never question anything about it, even though it was a warm yes but normal summer in my area ( not speaking for anyone else) just saying it's very possible.
Obviously not 100% certain, but would think there are checks and balances in place to be sure something like this wouldn't happen.. That said, If it did, because it can i'm sure, throw the book at whomever did this, and in full view of the public..  Agree that hiding it would only have negative effects.

As for numbers, California is a good example this year.. While coastal spots have averaged around normal -most of the summer so far this year, rest of the state has been hotter.. that will push up the average across the board, no matter if one area experienced a typical ..or slightly below average summer  compared to most other spots.

Year after year after year of doing this what do you know, we've got a trend of above average temperatures. I've looked up past history temperatures for my area & have found a ton of discrepancies. 
 No doubt this could occur.. one reason i put more weight behind Wx stations that have been around since at least the 60's ..if not the late 1800's than stations that only have a couple decades of data..  If you were to talk with someone who crunches the numbers about any discrepancies you came across, a trust worthy source would spend the time replying back, explaining how this occurred and how it was correctly adjusted.. Questionable is the simple reply w/ out explanation.

As far as " bad choices = consequences " , I think most people on here understand this fully. But for who's bad choices are we paying consequences for? 
Maybe.. Not something you know for sure unless you know the person.  Can think of a group of people whose bad choices already have cost those who have made better choices.. That shouldn't be the case..

According to researchers just 25 cities in the world contribute more the half the global greenhouse emissions in the world. With only 3 of these cities not in China.
Not totally sold on that. That said, we also greatly contribute to the problems in such places .. because many Americans can never have enough " things " ..a lot of which are made in those places, because no one here will ever settle for the kind of $ ( ..well, lack of $ ) that might be acceptable elsewhere ( shouldn't be, at all ).. 

Wish we could bring a lot of manufacturing back here but gotta pay the people making the stuff a living $$$ first..  and protect the environment, which means accepting rules, regulation, and fair taxation ..and no cutting corners so that only a select few get more slices of the pie.  Many companies don't want to follow those rules. Only thing that will change this, and hopefully help reduce emissions / pollution issues in other parts of the world is consumer pressure, and realizing that there's more to life than material things, which is slowly occurring. 

Honestly, would rather have robots do such boring jobs anyway..

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 5:07 AM, Jubaea_James760 said:

Seriously,  with all the money involved there's no room for corruption? You could pay most people to say just about anything. With all the distractions in the world it'll be easy to pad the numbers & say this place experienced hotter than average summer in 2021. 5 years down the line you'll never question anything about it, even though it was a warm yes but normal summer in my area ( not speaking for anyone else) just saying it's very possible. Year after year after year of doing this what do you know, we've got a trend of above average temperatures. I've looked up past history temperatures for my area & have found a ton of discrepancies. 

Just a quick breakdown of greenhouse gas emissions for countries...

Total C02 emissions in 2019 in megatons...

China - 11,535

USA - 5,107

India - 2,597

Russia - 1,792

Japan - 1,153

Germany - 702

Australia - 433

UK - 364

Spain - 259

Phillipines - 150

Colombia - 86

New Zealand - 38

Bolivia - 24.5

Central African Republic - 0.49

Yes, China clearly emits more emissions than the USA but you would obviously expect that given that China has more than 4 x the population of the USA. So their total emissions are clearly going to be much more. It's the same reason why the UK emits more than Sweden. However proportionately, that looks terrible for the United States and puts them as the worst C02 polluter by far, given that they are releasing 5,107 megatons per year across a population of 330 million. China on the other hand has 1.4 billion people and 'only' releases 11,535 megatons. Both the USA and China are an embarrassment in this category, but China has a massive population to sustain, which makes America's emissions look even worse. 

Greenhouse gas emissions per capita in 2018 (tons)...

Qatar - 35.9

UAE - 27.3

Australia - 24.6

Canada - 19.6

USA - 18.5

New Zealand - 16.6

South Korea - 13.9

Netherlands - 10.4

China - 8.9

UK - 6.8

Mexico - 5.4

Sweden - 4.6

Egypt 3.3

India - 2.5

North Korea - 1.6

Haiti - 0.9

I'm sorry but the USA is worse than China for greenhouse gas emissions. Yes, China has a terrible record and pumps out more than any other country, but they also have a population that is 4 x bigger than the USA, yet they only produce double the amount of annual C02 that America does. In theory it should be 4 x as much, just to be equally as bad as the USA. Hence why the USA emits way more per capita. I mean if 1.4 billion people lived in the USA, just like in China, you could only imagine what the total C02 emissions would be like in the US. It would probably be 2-3 x as much as China's currently are. The United States will almost certainly overtake China by 2050 though, in total emissions, assuming we don't switch to clean fuel.

I am completely against the Chinese Communist Party and not fond of the regime or country in general. They are the worst all-round polluters in the world by far, especially in terms of waste and all the plastic that they dump in the oceans. China has to be called out for this! But again, if America had the same population as China, you can only imagine just how bad their greenhouse emissions would be, or pollution in general. Yes, the Chinese may well be the death of us all, due to their enormous population, but the idea that they are solely to blame and the worst greenhouse gas emitters is not entirely accurate. Proportionately, the USA is the worst in the world due to emitting 5,107 megatons of C02 across a population of 330 million.

Places like Qatar, UAE, Bahrain and Kuwait are an absolute disgrace as well. They are the worst per capita, but due to their tiny populations they don't emit that much in the grand scheme of things. Nonetheless, you cannot call out China and the USA without criticising Qatar, UAE and Bahrain too. Also, I'm a big fan of Australia and it is my favourite place in the world, but they too have one of the worst rates of emissions in the world with more per capita than the USA and far worse than China. Plus Australia expels more total C02 annually than the UK, despite having 45 million less people. So you can throw Australia in with China, USA, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE etc.

My own country isn't a saint and could do much better, but the fact of the matter is that European countries are far more eco-friendly nowadays and have far lower per-capita C02 emissions and far lower total amounts too, compared to the other countries I listed. So let's not pretend that China is 95% to blame for C02 emissions. They aren't. The USA, Australia and Gulf countries are also massive problems. The USA especially due to releasing 5,107 megatons annually across just 330 million people. That is dreadful. If China matched the USA's C02 output per capita, relevant to its population, China would be releasing 3 x more than it currently is. We're actually fortunate that China isn't as bad as the USA in terms of per capita emissions. Just saying.

• Like 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

9 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

Just a quick breakdown of greenhouse gas emissions for countries...

Total C02 emissions in 2019 in megatons...

China - 11,535

USA - 5,107

India - 2,597

Russia - 1,792

Japan - 1,153

Germany - 702

Australia - 433

UK - 364

Spain - 259

Phillipines - 150

Colombia - 86

New Zealand - 38

Bolivia - 24.5

Central African Republic - 0.49

Yes, China clearly emits more emissions than the USA but you would obviously expect that given that China has more than 4 x the population of the USA. So their total emissions are clearly going to be much more. It's the same reason why the UK emits more than Sweden. However proportionately, that looks terrible for the United States and puts them as the worst C02 polluter by far, given that they are releasing 5,107 megatons per year across a population of 330 million. China on the other hand has 1.4 billion people and 'only' releases 11,535 megatons. Both the USA and China are an embarrassment in this category, but China has a massive population to sustain, which makes America's emissions look even worse. 

Greenhouse gas emissions per capita in 2018 (tons)...

Qatar - 35.9

UAE - 27.3

Australia - 24.6

Canada - 19.6

USA - 18.5

New Zealand - 16.6

South Korea - 13.9

Netherlands - 10.4

China - 8.9

UK - 6.8

Mexico - 5.4

Sweden - 4.6

Egypt 3.3

India - 2.5

North Korea - 1.6

Haiti - 0.9

I'm sorry but the USA is worse than China for greenhouse gas emissions. Yes, China has a terrible record and pumps out more than any other country, but they also have a population that is 4 x bigger than the USA, yet they only produce double the amount of annual C02 that America does. In theory it should be 4 x as much, just to be equally as bad as the USA. Hence why the USA emits way more per capita. I mean if 1.4 billion people lived in the USA, just like in China, you could only imagine what the total C02 emissions would be like in the US. It would probably be 2-3 x as much as China's currently are. The United States will almost certainly overtake China by 2050 though, in total emissions, assuming we don't switch to clean fuel.

I am completely against the Chinese Communist Party and not fond of the regime or country in general. They are the worst all-round polluters in the world by far, especially in terms of waste and all the plastic that they dump in the oceans. China has to be called out for this! But again, if America had the same population as China, you can only imagine just how bad their greenhouse emissions would be, or pollution in general. Yes, the Chinese may well be the death of us all, due to their enormous population, but the idea that they are solely to blame and the worst greenhouse gas emitters is not entirely accurate. Proportionately, the USA is the worst in the world due to emitting 5,107 megatons of C02 across a population of 330 million.

Places like Qatar, UAE, Bahrain and Kuwait are an absolute disgrace as well. They are the worst per capita, but due to their tiny populations they don't emit that much in the grand scheme of things. Nonetheless, you cannot call out China and the USA without criticising Qatar, UAE and Bahrain too. Also, I'm a big fan of Australia and it is my favourite place in the world, but they too have one of the worst rates of emissions in the world with more per capita than the USA and far worse than China. Plus Australia expels more total C02 annually than the UK, despite having 45 million less people. So you can throw Australia in with China, USA, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE etc.

My own country isn't a saint and could do much better, but the fact of the matter is that European countries are far more eco-friendly nowadays and have far lower per-capita C02 emissions and far lower total amounts too, compared to the other countries I listed. So let's not pretend that China is 95% to blame for C02 emissions. They aren't. The USA, Australia and Gulf countries are also massive problems. The USA especially due to releasing 5,107 megatons annually across just 330 million people. That is dreadful. If China matched the USA's C02 output per capita, relevant to its population, China would be releasing 3 x more than it currently is. We're actually fortunate that China isn't as bad as the USA in terms of per capita emissions. Just saying.

Probably the most ridiculous and unscientific assessment of carbon emissions by country I have read for some time lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sipalms said:

Probably the most ridiculous and unscientific assessment of carbon emissions by country I have read for some time lol

Get out of here, Simon. What an empty, convoluted comment. I have listed it and detailed the issue fairly accurately. Can you provide a better, more accurate breakdown of C02 emissions? And don't even begin to blame the 'demons' or world governments either. I have proportionately classified C02 output by country, without being bias towards the USA or China specifically. They are both equally to blame for this issue, with both being the main, primary emitters in the world. The USA being worse per capita. China being worse by total output. But ultimately, we can all do better than we are currently doing, if we want to sustain this planet for generations to come...

• Like 1

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Who has more bovine livestock? The US or China?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

3 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

Get out of here, Simon. What an empty, convoluted comment. I have listed it and detailed the issue fairly accurately. Can you provide a better, more accurate breakdown of C02 emissions? And don't even begin to blame the 'demons' or world governments either. I have proportionately classified C02 output by country, without being bias towards the USA or China specifically. They are both equally to blame for this issue, with both being the main, primary emitters in the world. The USA being worse per capita. China being worse by total output. But ultimately, we can all do better than we are currently doing, if we want to sustain this planet for generations to come...

I thought you were itching for the climate to warm so that your Queens would survive a proper full winter at 51N?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GottmitAlex said:

Who has more bovine livestock? The US or China?

Exactly! US, Australia and NZ raise/produce a large amount of China's meat.

If China did that by themselves their output per Capita would be beyond belief

Likewise with coal.

@UK_Palms I know you grow tomatoes (maybe for export too, not sure), but please don't preach to primary producing nations about their climate emissions. Thanks.

12 minutes ago, sipalms said:

I thought you were itching for the climate to warm so that your Queens would survive a proper full winter at 51N?

I am not "itching" for the climate to warm here. I am quite passionate about species conservation and protecting the Flora and Fauna in our environments. Forget about my Queens surviving at 51N. If they do end up surviving here, it is only testament to how we have failed our planet in the grand scheme of things. At least in terms of climate change. I will preach as much as I like when it comes to highlighting excessive fossil fuel consumption amongst nations. The USA is the worst offender per capita, relevant to population, in the grand scheme of things, and China seriously needs to sort their act out too, as does Australia and the Gulf states. Too many of us are pumping out excessive quantities of C02 with no care in the world. 20-30 years from now we will be looking back wondering what the hell we were doing!? Why did we create this mess for our grandchildren to deal with...!? Bury your head in the sand right now though, if you must...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sipalms said:

Exactly! US, Australia and NZ raise/produce a large amount of China's meat.

Actually, pork is the main source of meat for Chinese, which they do produce locally. And the imported pork is mainly from Europe (approx; 50%) Cattle/beef consumption in China is very low compared to US, Australia and NZ. 

bovine, cattle produce much more (41%)greenhouse emissions than pork does(9%). However, I read that bovine livestock only accounts for 4% of the greenhouse emissions in the US. So there are bigger problems within the other 96% I think. 

I can imagine that the energy sourcing in China(coal mining etc) is one of their main issues with emissions being so high.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyKarelian said:

Actually, pork is the main source of meat for Chinese, which they do produce locally. And the imported pork is mainly from Europe (approx; 50%) Cattle/beef consumption in China is very low compared to US, Australia and NZ. 

bovine, cattle produce much more (41%)greenhouse emissions than pork does(9%). However, I read that bovine livestock only accounts for 4% of the greenhouse emissions in the US. So there are bigger problems within the other 96% I think. 

I can imagine that the energy sourcing in China(coal mining etc) is one of their main issues with emissions being so high.. 

Correct and also:

Screenshot_20210905-004805~2.png

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Correct and also:

Screenshot_20210905-004805~2.png

also correct, and this amounts of only a small amount of meat consumption on such a population(1.398 billion). As a country China’s consumption of beef is the second highest after the US(0.328 billion). 

In fact both 8%(sheep) and 89%(pig) contribute much more than 3%(beef). As well as keeping in mind that livestock farming with modern technology can reduce the carbon footprint to a minimum, I think the source of greenhouse emissions are elsewhere mainly. 

33 minutes ago, JohnnyKarelian said:

and this amounts of only a small amount of meat consumption on such a population

:greenthumb:

44 minutes ago, JohnnyKarelian said:

also correct, and this amounts of only a small amount of meat consumption on such a population(1.398 billion). As a country China’s consumption of beef is the second highest after the US(0.328 billion). 

In fact both 8%(sheep) and 89%(pig) contribute much more than 3%(beef). As well as keeping in mind that livestock farming with modern technology can reduce the carbon footprint to a minimum, I think the source of greenhouse emissions are elsewhere mainly. 

Do pigs fart less than cows?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sipalms said:

Do pigs fart less than cows?

Do you know the difference in Production cost and method per kg of beef compared to pork ?

Stick to palms

Edited by JohnnyKarelian

9 minutes ago, JohnnyKarelian said:

Do you know the difference in Production cost and method per kg of beef compared to pork ?

Stick to palms

Thanks for telling me to stick to palms when you have a content count equivalent to the amount of free citizens in China :floor: :interesting:

Also thanks for liking my posts over the years, I noticed and appreciated it. But I'm not prepared to stand by and let the USA, or my country and other western nations get thrown under the proverbial bus about climate emissions. Cheers bud

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JohnnyKarelian said:

Stick to palms

Sorry Johnny, I notice you're supposedly from Taiwan, in no way shape or form did I intend to lump Taiwan together with China as they are entirely different nations in my puny opinion. Just for the record.

Edited by sipalms
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, sipalms said:

Thanks for telling me to stick to palms when you have a content count equivalent to the amount of free citizens in China :floor: :interesting:

Also thanks for liking my posts over the years, I noticed and appreciated it. But I'm not prepared to stand by and let the USA, or my country and other western nations get thrown under the proverbial bus about climate emissions. Cheers bud

So to be respected in the least way here, according to you, you need to have a higher content count? And you judge a country and a population that size just like that. Okay. 

this is not the US or other western nations being thrown under the proverbial bus.

@UK_Palms shared some statistics and I agree with him rather than to just say that western countries don’t ever do as bad as China does. I think every country (with it’s citizens) should take the responsibility to this issue very seriously, instead of pointing at others.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JohnnyKarelian said:

So to be respected in the least way here, according to you, you need to have a higher content count?

Of course not. Just don't tell me to stick to palms. I thought for a minute perhaps you were on the wrong forum.

• Like 3