• Similar Content

• KsLouisiana
      By KsLouisiana
      Alright. So I live in Lake Charles Louisiana and about a month ago we took a day trip down to the Cameron Parish beach. For those that don't know this area, the coast is very remote in most parts of Cameron. Not a lot of development.  So we found this palm washed up on the edge of the dunes where everything from the gulf washes up.  It had no leaves left baking out in the salt and sun but a little bit of green on the growth point. So we decided to throw it in the truck and try to rehab it, so we can plant it at our new house in the fall. So we wrapped the roots with dirt and burlap and sure enough it started to grow and even flower in a short amount of time. We definitely know it's some kind of palmetto but not sure what kind. It could even be from the Caribbean or Mexico. Please help identify and give any tips to help the survival. Thanks!

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Several days ago I received a request for an update on our world famous Sabal Row. But first, some background. I joined PalmTalk and IPS in Jan. 2008 and soon decided I wanted to germinate palm seeds. I chose (and recommend) the Sabal genus for beginning palm growers. Sabal palmetto is FL's State Tree and ubiquitous and I managed to beg, buy and barter Sabals domingensis and maritima. From early 2008 into 2009 I germinated a slew of seedlings. A quick tangent: In 2003 during the housing bubble, some HGTV rejects decided to build a spec home four lots east of our little cottage. Then that spec home bounced through a series of flippers, sustained roof damage in Hurricane Charley and thereafter sat empty and abandoned year after year until well into the housing bust. I looked across the vacant lot next door at that never-lived-in stack of cinder blocks and decided to plant my side of the vacant lot with Sabal seedlings to block views at and from that abandoned edifice. What you see in the following photos grew up since 2009 (the house sold in 2010; the neighbors are nice people). None of these palms are technically mine but I hope if anyone ever builds there, they appreciate privacy as much as we.
      Note: Sabals domingensis and maritima are really large palms. Sabal palmetto is the smallest trunking Sabal and one of the slowest growing. Sabal causiarum is a total behemoth. I added a seedling one to the Row after the others and it dwarfs them all.
      Sabal Row, March 2020, Cape Coral, FL

Sabal Trunks x3: Palm on left is S. palmetto. Other two may be domingensis and maritima (ID tags disappeared long ago)

Sabal maritima (left), Sabal palmetto (right) - Same age but look at size differential.

Opposite view: Sabal palmetto (right) and Sabal maritima (left)

Sabal palmetto Trunk

Sabal maritima trunk

• NC_Palm_Enthusiast
      By NC_Palm_Enthusiast
      This afternoon while walking the Piedmont Trail (off Strawberry Road) in Greensboro, I stumbled upon a couple dozen or more sabal minors growing in a swampy area parallel to Lake Brandt. There were volunteers coming up everywhere, along with several older palms. My guess is somebody threw some seeds along the trail or planted a couple and they reproduced. Greensboro is around 80 miles west of the fall line, so pretty far away from the native range of dwarf palmettos. Here are some pictures I took:

I also saw some of what I think are Southern Magnolias coming up. Here they are:

• NC_Palm_Enthusiast
      By NC_Palm_Enthusiast
      I live right on the 7a/7b line in the western piedmont of NC and I'm looking for some new palms to try. Currently, I have three Sabal Minor var. Louisianas and three potted majesty palms. The majesty palms have grown to be quite large and I'm worried I won't be able to fit them inside next winter. I'd like to replace them with some palms (other than Sabal Minor) that are hardy to my zone and can be planted directly into the ground.  I'm relatively new to palm cultivation so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    • Palmobsessed
      By Palmobsessed
      These are in Conway, SC. near HGTC and Coastal Carolina University. I have many more awesome pics, but I took these just today. This wasn’t even the best Butia, there were some in the neighborhood that were literally like 25 feet or more, but I didn’t manage to snap them as someone was tailgating me at the time (I hate when I miss an awesome palm like that  )  

But enjoy!!