IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone using Burlap and Lights w/o a Temp. Controller

DAVEinMB

As the title says...

I'm planning on wrapping with Christmas lights, then burlap. Am I asking for trouble without the use of a thermocube? 

If you are using the mini lights and burlap with no plastic wrap or box you may be ok.  I personally don't advocate using the larger C6 or C9 bulbs because they can burn.  You can put them on a electrical timer to only be on during the expected cold hours (ie 1-4am-8 am).  Best case is to put one of the remote temperature sensors like you can buy at Walmart/Lowes in there by the palm's crown and see what the temp really is with your setup.  

• Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

3 hours ago, Allen said:

If you are using the mini lights and burlap with no plastic wrap or box you may be ok.  I personally don't advocate using the larger C6 or C9 bulbs because they can burn.  You can put them on a electrical timer to only be on during the expected cold hours (ie 1-4am-8 am).  Best case is to put one of the remote temperature sensors like you can buy at Walmart/Lowes in there by the palm's crown and see what the temp really is with your setup.  

I second Allen. I have used the mini (make sure you don’t get LED) lights before. I only plugged it in at night, and when it was below 20F overnight, it worked fine. It gets hot in there, so watch it not to burn. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

14 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Now that's a bad idea.  Palm will fry and it's not sturdy at all with no good top.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

20 hours ago, Allen said:

I thought the temperature controllers would be more readily available locally but I haven't had much luck in finding one. The low tonight is supposed to be 26 (out of nowhere!) with a windchill of 16. I have C9 bulbs wrapped around 2 mules that were planted in September and the mini non-led lights around 2 smaller mules and a Sylvester. I'm going to have to invest in a thermocube but I wasn't expecting to need it or any protection for that matter until mid to late December. 

16 hours ago, Ryagra said:

I second Allen. I have used the mini (make sure you don’t get LED) lights before. I only plugged it in at night, and when it was below 20F overnight, it worked fine. It gets hot in there, so watch it not to burn. 

I gotcha. I never really took notice to the amount of heat even the mini lights put out. Pretty impressive. 

16 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

If we're forecasted to get into 8b lows I planned on doing something similar to this (just more robust) for my sylvestris

6 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

If we're forecasted to get into 8b lows I planned on doing something similar to this (just more robust) for my sylvestris

I suppose it's fine as long as sun doesn't hit it.  I would keep a temp sensor inside as I have used well vented plastic structures before and was amazed how fast and high the temps went if sun hit them.  So even with the top open I'd worry if its in the sun

46 minutes ago, Allen said:

I suppose it's fine as long as sun doesn't hit it.  I would keep a temp sensor inside as I have used well vented plastic structures before and was amazed how fast and high the temps went if sun hit them.  So even with the top open I'd worry if its in the sun

Plastic definitely worries me - I'd likely use plywood for the walls if I built any sort of structure. It would be protection from wind more than anything. Stopped omw home from work at lowes and no thermocube :rant:. Gonna have to have a few shipped in

And here are some shots of what I threw together last minute. 

I only wrapped burlap around the 2 mules and the Sylvester that are in the planters. They are all wrapped in the mini Christmas lights as well. 

20191112_191407.jpg

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Upvote 1

And lastly the 3 mules out front. 

The 2 65g that were planted in September got a bunch of mulch and some c9 lights. The 7g got mini lights and mulch. 

20191112_191825.jpg

20191112_191831.jpg

20191112_191819.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bubble foil insulation has worked best for me. I went away from it last year and used blankets and plastic and I fried a few palms