IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Shadehouse Numero Dos

www.dadluvsu.com

Fox = no rats

but he might dig in your pots

maybe

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(oppalm @ Oct. 18 2007,12:56)

(PiousPalms @ Oct. 18 2007,08:04)

The Fox This critter needs a name...

How about "Christie" , she seems to like the shadehouse  :;):

HAHAHAH!!   :laugh: Christie it is!  Couldn't be more appropriate!  Cheers!   :laugh:  

edit: Too Too funny!  I'm just laughin up a storm over here!   :laugh:

Progressing greatly William. Congrats !

Where did you get the Areca ipot seeds? I've been keeping an eye on the big seed dealers' lists and those haven't been available for sale in the last few years...Do you still have some for a trade?

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

• 1 month later...

So how about an update on the HUMAN SIZED (should built it palm sized I am seeing quickly) shadehouse....

My Coccothrinax borhidiana are still unirrigated and doing fine...  They will be irrigated by the end of this weekend.  I had a mess of rot and some funny looking greyish ugly caterpillars living in the crown of one of them, but I poured a heap of copper fungicide and several (literally) bottles of H2O2 into the crown...  I see a new spear pushing up and it isn't mushy, squishy, or guishy...  and better yet, it doesn't pull free easily like that one from a couple months back...  I think it's on the way to a lengthy recovery...

DSC01118.jpg

I still have more seedlings than space...

DSC01120.jpg

A little scan of the operation... (anyone notice the green thing on the left?  If you don't know what it is, keep on reading!!!  I'm proud of my latest addition!  :D  :D  :D )

DSC01119.jpg

If I squat down to take the picture, everything looks soooo much bigger! :cool:

DSC01122.jpg

(PiousPalms @ Oct. 18 2007,09:04)

The Joe's proof positive that these guys don't like root disturbance...

DSC01027.jpg

Went out to snap a couple photos today and found a visitor taking a nap in the shadehouse...  I startled him/her but it didn't just take off like lightning...  Kinda hung around and didn't look to disturbed by my presence...  Maybe I have a new watch dog!  :cool:

The Fox This critter needs a name...

DSC01028.jpg

A Fox in the greenhouse is too cool.  And seems friendly too, as Foxes go.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

OK OK OK, So I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was gonna work on building a bad@$$ water filtration system...  I think Palmotrafficante will be proud of me...  Today I became a serious palm grower! :P (j/k Tad, you still got me beat.... beat badly!, I have been enjoying your farming updates!) But I finished my project!! (Ok almost finished, I have one last leaky connection and I was just too too tired to work anymore today. :( ) After a little more than three months of self educating, begging for hands-on knowledge (thanks again Neofolis and Phil), planning, bargain hunting, and constructing... Here is a photo of my latest shadehouse addition! RO filtration!! :cool:

DSC01131.jpg

(PiousPalms @ Dec. 13 2007,16:49)

OK OK OK, So I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was gonna work on building a bad@$$ water filtration system...  I think Palmotrafficante will be proud of me...  Today I became a serious palm grower! :P (j/k Tad, you still got me beat.... beat badly!, I have been enjoying your farming updates!) But I finished my project!! (Ok almost finished, I have one last leaky connection and I was just too too tired to work anymore today. :( ) After a little more than three months of self educating, begging for hands-on knowledge (thanks again Neofolis and Phil), planning, bargain hunting, and constructing... Here is a photo of my latest shadehouse addition! RO filtration!! :cool:

DSC01131.jpg

Bill, you are a photoshop man. Put soem arrows and labels on that baby. You have a blue print I can run with.  :P

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

(PiousPalms @ Dec. 13 2007,16:49)

DSC01131.jpg

Cool!

Looks like a mini-version of what I see at Phils place. (Jungle Music)  I suspect your palms will like it just as much too!!!

VERY good news about the Cocothrinax!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Cool Bill, it makes my setup look so amateur.  Are you using it for misting and irrigation?

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Len, I may just do a photoshopped blueprint with some labels and stuff, not a bad idea...  I'll post it in the Reverse Osmosis thread that helped me desgin my system..

Corey, Hey man, don't knock an amatuer setup!  That's all this one is!  :)  I just took the principles you showed me in the RO thread and increased the volume and capacity!  Thanks again for your help!  O yeah, in answer to your question... Both!  I irrigate using 7 gallons per hour misting heads plugged into black poly tubing...  Inceases humidity (not that we need that here), keeps things cool in the summer (we definately need that) and now waters stuff with really pure and clean water... :cool:

DSC01136.jpg

Glad to read that your Borhidiana is going to be fine and I like that spiney palm - whatever it is.

Yes that is one  Bada$$ watering system you've got there.

Can't wait till the next elaborate project.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

william, you definently fell off the deep end with that irrigation operation!  I don't know anything about that stuff but want to learn as eventually....I will need to rig up my sytem for my shed - greenhouse coversion.  any ideas where I can learn the basics to greenhouse irrigation?

also, how do those white tubes work out? easy to tranplant seedlings ?

cool fox btw:)

Luke

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Hey Luke!

Read this PDF file...  It was a good start for my irrigation beginnings...

http://www.digcorp.com/assets/downloads/retail/DSL20-L.pdf

For a small operation (something less than commercial) this stuff should be sufficient...  I like this system cause it is geared to the homeowner and is simple...  hooks up to hose spigots or standard PVC...  No crazy fittings are neccesary to get a decent setup and low volume irrigation is a water conservative plus!  Someday when my crop gets larger and can be moved into sun, this system is versatile enough that I can reroute with little difficulty/minor cost and drip irrigate.  

If you wanted to get a little more carried away read this thread...

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin....osmosis

I will probably give a detailed breakdown on my RO system in a detailed manner as Corey has in the near future...  Truthfully, in doing all the plumbing and electrical work I am angry and irritated with it because I've been to Home Depot, Ace, and Lowes way more times than any human should in the last couple weeks...  I always forget that one fitting, need something else or... well, you get the picture.  :angry:  Now I know why plumbers and electricians carry so many different fittings and parts in their vans...  All that to say I'm just too tired to bother posting for a couple days!  I'll get around to it soon!  :cool:

Also, the conetainers are great for helping to reduce transplant shock...  It is a bit tricky to remove the plugs if they are not very well rooted (the soil tends to fall away if there aren't enough roots), but once you figure out a good method for doing so, they really do make a difference in transplanting...  I still use several other methods for germinating seedlings...

• 1 month later...

(LJG @ Dec. 13 2007,20:49)

You have a blue print I can run with.  :P

BUUUU-UUUMP!

Here is an actual blueprint that I used to help me get a good understanding of how these things work.

scan-2.jpg

Being a relative 'newbie' on this board it's the first time I've seen this thread. Wayyyy too cool, you've totally gone to the dark side. Talk about a labor of love, that's quite an operation. The palms look great as well, healthy and happy. Kudos my man!

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 4 weeks later...

There's only so many hours in a day to work...  My schedule can get hectic and there are some nights I want to work with the palms.  Soooooo I got on ebay and ordered a gypsy light string and went to HD (one more flippin' time!) and got a handfull of compact flourescent bulbs...  

VOILA!  Lighted work area!

DSC01300.jpg

DSC01305.jpg

Bill,

YOU are waaaaay out of control by now. I suggest you seek some kind of palm therapy soon, real soon. For example, I will be around the weekend of March 7th,8th and the 9th, if you want to drop by the nursery. We can talk. :D

BTW...your coccothrinax look like they got some burn in the leaves or something. What happen now? :(

Definitely stop by, I can help. :D

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I think the C. borhidiana is going to pull thru...  It is a long battle for this slow grower...  I took them off irrigation, I think that may have had something to do with the condition.  I may put them back on irrigation in a month or two.  Consequently, less water = slower growth...  I went out and took photos a couple minutes ago and judging by the new growth I think this palm may still have a chance to live.

The healthy specimen...

DSC01306.jpg

DSC01309.jpg

The not so healthy specimen...

DSC01308.jpg

DSC01307.jpg

(PiousPalms @ Feb. 28 2008,12:25)

VOILA!  Lighted work area!

DSC01300.jpg

DSC01305.jpg

William,

This is beginning to look like a not so clandestine,flying under the RADAR operation!  Least someone think you are growing something OTHER than palms in the parking lot!Going to have to let that hedge grow a little higher! :laugh:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

William,

It looks like you have a pretty serious thing happening there.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

That night shot makes it look like a used palm lot  :laugh:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Bill,

I'm eagerly awaiting the exciting next step - what you're going to do when it's time to move all those little seedlings up into 5G pots...! :D

Bo-Göran

PS - I forgot, what did you say you do on your free time?? :P

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(PiousPalms @ Dec. 13 2007,19:49)

DSC01131.jpg

Run Bill, here come the white coats  :P  

Impressive setup.

I'm thinking the next step is shadehouse number tres. Doubling or tripling your current area is in order.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

So that's why you haven't been on the board much lately.

Your set up is getting better and better Will.  Like I've said before - I can't wait till the next elaborate project.  You are the "Q"  ( as in James Bond) of the IPS.

And congratulations on the recovery of the Borhidiana.  Mine are still really tiny-- I can't wait till they get that big and display those overlapping palm leaves.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Yeah guys, I think I'm a little bit out of control...  I don't have anymore space to grow this operation so who knows whats in store as these babies get bigger....

I'll definately use this venue to keep ya'll informed as things change!

A new frond opening today on my Golden Christmas Palm.

DSC01310.jpg

(gsn @ Feb. 28 2008,18:50)

Least someone think you are growing something OTHER than palms in the parking lot!Going to have to let that hedge grow a little higher! :laugh:

I've actually had this problem already...  

Being that this is a buy here - pay here used car lot, we reposses cars from customers that don't pay every once in a while.  Occaisionally a client gets a little rowdy and we call the local police (we know them all by first name, their wives and children as well :) )  

One morning I came to work shortly after sunrise and the light was still hazy.  I saw  a figure snooping around in the shadehouse...  My temper flared.  Immidiately I thought I had a palm-burgler.  Figuring horticultural theives are most likely unarmed, I grabbed my trusty Lousiville slugger and headed to the shadehouse.  I snuck into the shadehouse.  There was a figure dressed in all black with his back facing me.  I could see him bending down and reading my plant labels.  I knew for sure he was looking for the prized specimen.  I loudly proclaimed, "YOU BETTER HAVE MONEY!" Immediatly the figure stood up and whirled around.  

It was Ed, a local officer.  I have even sold a car to this guy.  I asked him what he was doing snooping around my back lot (inside a 6' chain link fence)...  Apparently the neighbors smelled some funny smellin smoke coming from what they thought was my lot late that prior night and they called the police thinking I had a relatively large grow operation going on!!  :laugh:  He said he had to investigate and that it was his job!  We both had a good laugh together over the situation.  Ed promised he would come back and by a palm when his daughter was born and plant it for her.

:cool:

• 3 months later...

Ill bump this very worthy thread up,

I recieved some (semi largeish) palms from Bill yesterday, let me tell you he spends as much energy packing the palms for shipment as he does growing them. They were as youd expect in top notch condition!!!

Thanks again Bill

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

Thanks for the encouraging words Allen... I hope your enjoying your new goodies! :) Wasn't sure I was gonna be able to cram all those palms in that box!

• 2 months later...
Bill,

I'm eagerly awaiting the exciting next step - what you're going to do when it's time to move all those little seedlings up into 5G pots...! :D

Bo-Göran

PS - I forgot, what did you say you do on your free time?? :P

uhm... these things grow really fast... :blink: Anyone want to buy some palms? :huh:

DSC02822.jpg

MAN! you are a certifiable NUT! ....... if you could only channel that into something useful ;) .....lol....... on a side note.....that fox is either a little cuckoo also..... or RABID! ....... I don't think I would let the kids pet him (if you know what I mean).

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Bill - I just found this thread today, awesome job! If only I would have found it sooner, all of the mistakes I could have avoided!! I COULD TAKE A FEW OFF YOUR HANDS, if you can ship them to CALIFORNIA.

Aloha,

Bill

Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2

1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

• 1 year later...