IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Shadehouse Numero Dos

www.dadluvsu.com

On the way into the office today I  stopped at the HD...   sigh...  again, and got some pvc to round out my corners...  I plan to wrap the fabric in pvc and zip tie it in place every 3-4 inches, the I can stake down the fabric in a clean manner in the corners...  I will post some pictures if I get to that today...  I have to work on installing the C. crinita, C. macrocarpa, and A. arenaria at my parents house this weekend and certainly won't be able to work on the shade house...  Next weekend, I will have to work here as there are a few community pots that need to broken down and potted up...

DSC00746.jpg

I clicked on this page and mistakely thought I had clicked one of Pohonkelapa's Bali pages and was looking at one of his meals!!!  :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I hope you post pictures on the community pots and potting as well.  Its very interesting and informative.  Since I started germinating seeds about 2 months ago a lot have been sprouting this week.

It fun finding out how other are doing it and your posts have really illustrative pictures.

So far my posts have been about presenting problems and asking people how to fix it.  I'd like to get to the point when i can contribute and give good advice to other hobbyists.

What seeds are you soaking there?

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Hey Gene!

I will definately post some photos of that whole process in this thread...  I've got a whole heap of seed coming in the next week or so and will have to clean and sew them...   I'll be sure to take photos, before my hands get stained from cleaning seeds!  Those seeds above are Dypsis sp. Orange Crush, and the only reason I have them in the water is to help loosen up any residue from the fermenting fruit that was removed...  After cleaning and rinsing those seeds in 85-90 degree F water they were immediately potted up in a 3g pot and left in the shadehouse...  Which reminds me, I must go out and label them!   :cool:

• 3 months later...

I just took a walk through the shadehouse this morning and thought I would give an update....

Things are filling up the space quickly!

DSC00999.jpg

A nice group of emerging Carpoxylon Macrospermum

DSC00998.jpg

Freshly planted out Archontophoenix purpurea

DSC00997.jpg

Watering in the Puple Kings!

DSC01007.jpg

I've got blocks spaced out for the milk crates as I plant out the seedlings...

DSC01005.jpg

Here's a huge bunch of Dypsis leptocheilos...  I'm gonna hug these one day :D

DSC01002.jpg

This one is getting closer to huggable...

DSC01009.jpg

New red leaf on a Dypsis sp. "New Red Leaf"

DSC01000.jpg

Looks sweet, wish I was organized enough to do this.

What's the plan for all the babies?

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Inside the propagation "booth" there is a whole mess of new life flourishin'!  Someone is gonna have to cut me off!  I'm gonna run out of grow room very quickly!

DSC01003.jpg

DSC01010.jpg

DSC01011.jpg

(redant @ Oct. 16 2007,14:41)

Looks sweet, wish I was organized enough to do this.

What's the plan for all the babies?

Dang, you mean I have to have a plan?!

Seriously Doug, I think my interest/hobby kinda took a hold of me like a snowballing monster...  I guess the plan now is to grow em' all out for a couple years and hopefully sell them off in large lots to the wholesale market...  If that doesnt pan out I'm not really sure what I'm gonna do with em!  Society Sales?  Private sales?  Kevin Donahue suggested I buy an acre or so out west somewhere (The Acreage area) to grow them in the ground, not a bad idea...  He definately got me thinking about it...  My own palmetum?!?  ???

One thing is for sure I'm gonna have a great looking yard somewhere someday!  :cool:

looks great.william.you've got a hard working ranch hand there,too.

funny that without any people in the new shade house for scale it looks almost the same as the old one:D

i am just curious,tho,is this next to your house?whats the white building in some of the pix?

enquiring minds want to know.

now off to find some delicious balinese food...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

A nice block of Areca vestiaria

DSC01020.jpg

Some Licuala grandis

DSC01022.jpg

A group of Chambeyronia macrocarpa

DSC01021.jpg

Some unpotted seedlings from the Cuban area...  Some C. Miraguama, C. moaensis, and some local P. sargentii  :D

DSC01026.jpg

Yeah, that ranch hand got the boot (well technically she broke up with me, but that's certainly Palapa material!) The white building is my business...  It's a used car lot and mechanic shop...

The cuban block has some P. vinifera, Coccothrinax sp. "azul", P. ekmanii, some Copernicia alba (free seed from Ortanique!  YAY JOSEPH!) and some other stuff in there I'm sure...  They tend to look like weeds at this stage of the game...

DSC01025.jpg

I got this prize at the PBPCS sale this past weekend...  Pinanga philippinensis

DSC01024.jpg

And this last shot is a Palm from Christian Faulkner...  The name eludes me at this moment... someone help!  :laugh:

DSC01023.jpg

First of all THANK YOU for the fantastic thread and pictures.  My father and I have been looking at various ways to build a green house on his property and your project has given me some good ideas.

I wonder, if you built it with a pitched roof and covered it with the clear poly, you'd have a green house yes?

Chris

Dallas Texas USA (and I know who shot JR)

Zone 8

It started with a cup full of washy seeds.

3 years later I need a bigger yard and a bigger garage (to store the seedlings in the winter).

Sure would work for a greenhouse Mr Christopher!  Actually, last winter we had a breif cold snap and I covered the 1st shadehouse with a GIANT blue tarp...  Outside temps were a chilly 45 degrees F (I think?!)  Underneath the blue tarp it was a sauna with 80% humidty and about 75-90 degrees F (day to night temps)...  It did rain once while I had the tarp on there and Since I had no pitch to the "roof" the tarp acted as a water collector and I had huge sags in it...  OTher than that, I see no reason why you couldn't cover this thing in poly and make a great greenhouse!

Picture.jpg

Woah, William you're outa control.....and I like it!  Nice clean setup you have there.  Looks great man!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Thank again, this is very informative.

Chris

Zone 8

3 years later I need a bigger yard and a bigger garage (to store the seedlings in the winter).

Good to see the progress...... At least one of us "Bills" is doing something. :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

William I have another question, I dropped by the site you mentioned, acecanopies.com, and looked at their canopies.  I'm guessing you were considering one of the carpoor canopies where you'd substitute clear poly for the canvas coverings they offer, yes?

Here's an example of the canopy I'm describing:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/a...py_1967_4631052

I'm looking for the most cost effective (inexpensive that is) way to get my feet wet and the metal canopy looks pretty inviting in terms of the cost and effort.  Has anyone put together such a set up, a metal framed carport for a greenhouse?

Chris

Zone 8

never seen it done :)

post-18-1192637531_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

palmotrafficante, is there a thread here that details the structure you've linked to?

Chris

Zone 8

Thanks very much.  Amazing.

Chris

Zone 8

Haven't watered with irrigation in 6-7 weeks now...  Received over 7 inches of rain from the sky last month!  I'm thinking when things dry out I will be watering every third day...  I believe I was overwatering and am in the process of developing a better watering schedule as well as a top notch filtration system...

william what are you filtering out? is it canal water your using or municipal?

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Municipal...  There is so much chlorine that the water is green and hardwater is 11 grains in this town!  I've got a water softener, carbon and sediment filters, a small RO unit and a large storage tank en route.  All the growers I've spoken to say RO water is the night and day difference when overhead watering is used...  When I'm done growing at the shadehouse, I plan to incorporate the filtration system in my home.  Whole house RO!  :cool:

I wonder if there ever has been anyone that has gone over the deep end faster, then Bill?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

William you sure know how to be addicted.....I am glad you didn't get into drugs....hmmmmmm....If you had though you'd sure to have been the drug lord by now...lol

love the pictures of all the seedlings you got going....here is a pic of some of my Carpoxylon Macrospermum spikes

Curt

post-689-1192676716_thumb.jpg

Cypress, Ca.

Bill,

You've got a great operation there, but you obviously need several acres...what's the long term plan?

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And this last shot is a Palm from Christian Faulkner...  The name eludes me at this moment... someone help!  

... looks like a Metroxylon ,, just like some of my solomonense ..

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Hey Curt, those short ones fit nicely into the Coke trays!  Good thinkin' there!  And maaaan, you are so right, if I was into drugs I would certainly be the drug lord.  :;):  Besides profit yields are similar in the wholesale market (obviously just a smaller market here), and the police don't have to beat me down when they come and check up on my crop!  HAH!

Bo-Göran, No long term plans just yet...  Maybe a climate controlled container on a boat to HI?!  :cool:  For today, I'm concerned with just giving them the closest to optimal conditions I can and hopefully not killing them all!  

Thanks Michael, Metroxylon warburgii, that's it...  I gotta catch up on my labeling before I get outta control...

The Joe's proof positive that these guys don't like root disturbance...

DSC01027.jpg

Went out to snap a couple photos today and found a visitor taking a nap in the shadehouse...  I startled him/her but it didn't just take off like lightning...  Kinda hung around and didn't look to disturbed by my presence...  Maybe I have a new watch dog!  :cool:

The Fox This critter needs a name...

DSC01028.jpg

(PiousPalms @ Oct. 18 2007,08:59)

I gotta catch up on my labeling before I get outta control...

What do you mean before? Thats the least of your worries :P

(I'm just in envy.)

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Bill-

Don't understand the "The Joes" part. Looks like sunburn or normal Joeys I see... ???

(PiousPalms @ Oct. 18 2007,08:04)

The Fox This critter needs a name...

How about "Christie" , she seems to like the shadehouse  :;):

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).