LasPalmerasDeMaryland

November Update

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Well with frosts and freezes finally in the forecast, it’s time to mulch and wrap these palms up. But before I do, a little update on their growth this year. 

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Musa Basjoo

I’m honestly surprised that they’re still green. I did plant them too close together and a little close to the foundation (lesson for next time). But I’m happy with their growth! Just got to get them through the winter. 

8895D8AF-5F00-410E-B536-B7D289F8F442.jpeg

• Like 1

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Sabal Louisiana’s

Finally starting to exit the strap leaf stage (yaaaaasss). They’re moderate in growth, but I’m content with that. I’m excited for their future growth!

A82CCCE5-BBFF-41EB-817A-C3FBD456389B.jpeg

FC2C2BFC-5717-4467-80AC-0562F7D95383.jpeg

81CBA0CA-67C3-4E61-8F40-FF3DB0B09485.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Trachycarpus Fortunei ‘Bulgaria’

These guys are tough after coming back after a weed whacking incident. One had some leaf shrinkage, but it’s starting to recover so I’m not worried. These are next to the southern end of the house so I have confidence in their survival (unless we have another polar vortex *shudders*)

98274FA8-CC03-43D7-9CC5-1D708CBEC830.jpeg

A8AFD5AB-4FC3-4308-9E0A-4EAB5319131E.jpeg

A89C07FB-975A-4A68-BC27-EF2B83D92167.jpeg

• Like 2

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Sabal Palmetto ‘Mocksville’

These pictures don’t do it justice, but this thing is healthy as a duck. It’s becoming palmate and I’m happy!

744119CD-1F71-478F-9B33-7A53FDE330D9.jpeg

C7C1E239-E655-431D-A85E-FECBC620C3B8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Sabal Uresana 

Man this thing is slow. But this is more of an experiment than anything.  Just to see what it can handle! 

FB66714B-DED2-4C84-B97E-CCD3983AAC97.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

kinzyjr

Love these cold-hardy palm gardens in the mid-Atlantic states!

• Upvote 1

Fusca
51 minutes ago, LasPalmerasDeMaryland said:

Sabal Palmetto ‘Mocksville’

Looks good Nathan!  I like the bluish tint of your Sabal 'Louisiana' in the second photo but I'd say that it and the Sabal palmetto 'Mocksville' are planted way too close to the house since they will get big.  Same for the S. uresana but not sure it will survive to get very large in your area.  Your Trachycarpus won't get a very large crown of leaves so probably isn't a problem planted that close to the house.  Juvenile Sabals are difficult to transplant but you'll have a better chance of survival at that small size.

Jon

PalmatierMeg

Wishing you good luck, Nathan. My son lives in Ellicott City so I follow the weather up there. I have S. palmetto Mocksville too and it's coming along well. Supposedly, it is quite cold hardy compared to S. palmetto so a good experiment for you.