LasPalmerasDeMaryland

November Update

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Well with frosts and freezes finally in the forecast, it’s time to mulch and wrap these palms up. But before I do, a little update on their growth this year. 

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Musa Basjoo

I’m honestly surprised that they’re still green. I did plant them too close together and a little close to the foundation (lesson for next time). But I’m happy with their growth! Just got to get them through the winter. 

8895D8AF-5F00-410E-B536-B7D289F8F442.jpeg

• Like 1

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Sabal Louisiana’s

Finally starting to exit the strap leaf stage (yaaaaasss). They’re moderate in growth, but I’m content with that. I’m excited for their future growth!

A82CCCE5-BBFF-41EB-817A-C3FBD456389B.jpeg

FC2C2BFC-5717-4467-80AC-0562F7D95383.jpeg

81CBA0CA-67C3-4E61-8F40-FF3DB0B09485.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Trachycarpus Fortunei ‘Bulgaria’

These guys are tough after coming back after a weed whacking incident. One had some leaf shrinkage, but it’s starting to recover so I’m not worried. These are next to the southern end of the house so I have confidence in their survival (unless we have another polar vortex *shudders*)

98274FA8-CC03-43D7-9CC5-1D708CBEC830.jpeg

A8AFD5AB-4FC3-4308-9E0A-4EAB5319131E.jpeg

A89C07FB-975A-4A68-BC27-EF2B83D92167.jpeg

• Like 2

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Sabal Palmetto ‘Mocksville’

These pictures don’t do it justice, but this thing is healthy as a duck. It’s becoming palmate and I’m happy!

744119CD-1F71-478F-9B33-7A53FDE330D9.jpeg

C7C1E239-E655-431D-A85E-FECBC620C3B8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Sabal Uresana 

Man this thing is slow. But this is more of an experiment than anything.  Just to see what it can handle! 

FB66714B-DED2-4C84-B97E-CCD3983AAC97.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

kinzyjr

Love these cold-hardy palm gardens in the mid-Atlantic states!

• Upvote 1

Fusca
51 minutes ago, LasPalmerasDeMaryland said:

Sabal Palmetto ‘Mocksville’

Looks good Nathan!  I like the bluish tint of your Sabal 'Louisiana' in the second photo but I'd say that it and the Sabal palmetto 'Mocksville' are planted way too close to the house since they will get big.  Same for the S. uresana but not sure it will survive to get very large in your area.  Your Trachycarpus won't get a very large crown of leaves so probably isn't a problem planted that close to the house.  Juvenile Sabals are difficult to transplant but you'll have a better chance of survival at that small size.

Jon

PalmatierMeg

Wishing you good luck, Nathan. My son lives in Ellicott City so I follow the weather up there. I have S. palmetto Mocksville too and it's coming along well. Supposedly, it is quite cold hardy compared to S. palmetto so a good experiment for you.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• climate change virginia
      By climate change virginia
      Hi is there a hardy alternative to bottle palms that can survive in zone 8a I don't care about the leaves the leaves can be pinnate palmate either one is fine. Thanks. 
      Requirements Zone has to be tolerable of 7b or 8a either one is fine (Does NOT have to be feather palm), Has to have a nice amount trunk. Thanks.
      Hey I was wondering if there was a VERY HARDY alternative to the royal palm, queen palm, coconut palm, or foxtail palm that is fast growing, self seeds like a Washingtonia, and can take temps down to 7-10f. Requirements must be pinnate/feather leaf, grows to around 30-50 feet, slim trunk, preferably easy root system, and NON CLUMPING. I prefer feather over fan but that's my opinion all plants are beautiful. One more thing must be able to take 10f with minimal damage. Don't tell me a pindo those things take forever to grow. We are technically zone 7 but we haven't gone below 10f since the artic blast of 2013-2014. Thanks.
    • KsLouisiana
      By KsLouisiana
      So we live in Lake Charles, La. Recently devastated by hurricane Laura.  While driving around I noticed a fairly large palmetto tree in the ditch that someone removed from their property (4ft trunk). It looks like it will transplant pretty well.  I have a few questions from the experts. Does anyone have experience moving these? How much would one with a 4 ft trunk weigh? Because we would probably have to pick it up by hand to get it in the bed of the truck. ( two 30ish year old guys) 2nd question. Does it look healthy? I feel like it's in perfect shape. Haha. Well any tips and advice would be greatly.  I will attach a picture.  Thanks!
      Kurt

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have 3 unusual Sabal seedlings for sale as a lot. The first one in a 4" pot lost its tag a while back. I suspect it may be a Sabal minor Blountstown Dwarf by its size and coloration BUT I don't know for sure. It is 2-3 years old and still strap leaf but is ready to go into a larger pot or the ground.
      The second two seedlings are from seeds I collected in the spring of 2019 when I visited Rotary Park in far south Cape Coral. I walked along the park nature trail, then saw some strange looking trunked Sabals in the wetlands off the trail. They were large and quite old and their leaves did not look like typical wild Sabal palmetto. Leaves were unusually flat and pinnae cut very shallowly. I saw a number of these palms in that vicinity - a whole population. Rotary Park has been around for decades but I wondered if these old Sabals were a remnant of a separate species planted by man or natural occurences. As Sabal seeds ripen in late fall here, most of these palms were bare of seeds, but I managed to pluck some leftovers. I also took a raft of photos to post here but no one offered any ideas what these unknown Sabals may be. Anyway, 3 of the seeds germinated for me last year so I am keeping one plant and selling the other two.
      Mystery Sabal Seedlings x3: $15.00 for the lot
      Shipping = $10.00 via Priority Mail          No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      TOTAL DUE = $25.00
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested
      Photos
      Mystery Sabals x3

Mystery Sabal #1

Mystery Sabals #2 & #3, Rotary Park, Cape Coral, FL

Rotary Park Mystery Sabals, 2019