IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pseudophoenix sargentii, N.P. Bahamas

aztropic

Palm is native throughout the Caribbean but notoriously scarce on New Providence island,home to the capital of the Bahamas. (Nassau) Did manage to find a few individuals in the wild,but they are very few and far between.Leucothrinax morrissii is the most common native palm on the island.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20191028_122649757_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191028_122702970.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Great find. Did you notice any evidence of poaching, land clearing or any reason why there were so few specimens in habitat? I met a landscaper once at TPIE that mentioned that a few islands had problems with rats eating seed of native plants.

Ryan

South Florida

No poaching or land clearing but lots of rats! The wild ones I saw were around bonefish pond,a very remote area of the island. Very dense jungle growing on solid limestone with salt water intrusion.

This species is very rare,even in the islands landscaping.Maybe 20 individual trees total island wide.Maybe 6 at Atlantis,another 6 at a bank on Charlotte street,5 at a house/development across from Cable beach,and a few small ones at an individual house,south side of the island.This was my 15th trip to Nassau and the first time I was able to actually find them in the wild,after years and years of searching.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Two of my favorites, L morrisii and P sargentii, just wish the latter was a bit more prolific.

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.” –Frank Lloyd Wright