IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How To Stop Cycas revoluta From Flowering?

Butch

I bought my house 47yrs ago and there was an existing  cycas revoluta, in the ground... I have moved it a round many times in the past, including in a large pot... About 20yrs ago I moved it to it's present spot.. And it has done well there... It never had before, but it started producing seed and pups in this last location.... I have no idea how old the plant is, but was a decent size when I got the house in 1972.. The problem is, that in the last few years it always seem to be in flower... And when it flowers and produces seed, it's not producing any leaves... It's starting to look pretty ragged (But healthy) ....  anyone have a suggestion on a way to stop it from flowering and start producing leave? (Anyone need seeds or pups? ;))...

Butch

• Like 1

It's probably getting too much phosphorus.  Cycads like high nitrogen but lower potassium and phosphorus.  So you should be giving fert to this that is quite low on the middle number on the fert bag.  This last summer I was using a liquid  feed 21-7-7 acidic fert that produced great flushes without cones.  If you can find a fert with 20-4-8 it would be great.  However, overall,  now is not the time to fertilize any  cycad in  the U.S.  Just start planning for this fert to go on the plant's soil in March-April next year.

• Like 1

Thank you.... I’ll give that a try.... I was told once by someone with a lot of knowledge, that sprinkling talcum powder on it might make the plant think it’s getting pollen and not go in to seed... It sounded kinda funny to me, but this person is one of the most knowledgeable people on this site.  

Butch

Subject the plant to 15-22F every year and that will make the cones much more sporadic.  True story.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 12:24 PM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Subject the plant to 15-22F every year and that will make the cones much more sporadic.  True story.

Kinda hard to do here, in SO CA... Unless I dig it up and stick it in the freezer... Don't think my wife will go for that.;)...

Butch

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Well after all these years... We have a new flush:w00:...

z2gAI9e.jpg

dGCmc6G.jpg

I'm so excited... This old baby is gonna be green again...

Butch

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Nothing :( ... Except for a little Palmgain... 1st time using it. Maybe? But I only used it a couple of weeks ago.  Maybe it just got tired being prego:D..

Butch 

• Like 1

lol...cycad growers are a patient bunch...i've had plants sulk for years....no big deal, they do what they want.

• Like 1