IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC NOVEMBER 2019 MEETING IN ALTADENA

DoomsDave

The PSSC’s November 16, 2019 meeting will be held at the home and garden of Patti and Ross Newton, at 2535 North Altadena Drive, Altadena, CA 91001.

This is the first time we’ve held a meeting at this garden and we all look forward to seeing you there! (Note that this is two weeks before the big Thanksgiving holiday.)

Inspired by their near-neighbors John and Greg Cressey-Haines, the Newtons began their half acre garden in 2009 and have created an elegant oasis of rare palms, against a stunning mountain backdrop with a waterfall, koi pond and pavilion. In addition, they have also rehabbed a 1940s vintage house with elegant artistry and installed a wonderful system of paths and outdoor lighting.

The Newtons’ first plantings are canopy of Archontophoenix, Butia capitata and Dypsis decaryi, with many additions, including but not limited to, Dypsis leptocheilos, Parajubaea cocoides, Beccariophoenix alfredii and many others.

DIRECTIONS

Exit 210 Freeway from east or west at North Allen Avenue and head north, to the mountains, and keep going until you get to Mendocino Lane. Make a right on Mendocino, then take to N. Altadena Drive, make a right on N. Altadena and the Newton home and garden are on the right at 2535 N. Altadena Drive.

Coming from the west on the 210 you can exit at Altadena Dr. and head north toward the mountains. The house is 2.5 miles north of the 210 on the left at 2535 N. Altadena Drive.

SPECIAL PARKING NOTES:

Parking on the west side of the street is best, along with parking on Kengary Lane just 3 houses south of the Newton’s. You can also park across the street (there is a lot of room) BUT there is a blind curve just above that at Mendocino so be extreeeemly careful and listen carefully when crossing the street. We will have signs up to hopefully slow down traffic, but still be very careful.

ITINERARY

9:30 am start PSSC Board Meeting
10:30 a.m. tour the Newton home and garden
11:30 a.m. conclude PSSC Board meeting
12:01 p.m. potluck lunch
1:00 p.m. general meeting
1:30 p.m. plant auction

POTLUCK LUNCH: There will be a potluck lunch, chicken will be provided. All donations of food for the potluck are greatly appreciated. If you make it, great, if you buy it, great. If you like it, we will too. If you bring your grandma’s favorite recipe, we’ll like it too, whether your grandma was from Mexico City, Moscow or Bejing. All kinds of foods appreciated; salads, entrees, desserts or combos of these.

AUCTION: We will also be holding an auction. This is a major source of the PSSC’s funding, so donations are greatly appreciated. Donors can donate 100% to the PSSC or 50%. The best plants for the auction are rare palms in 1 – 5 gallon containers, but if you bring something larger, we’ll certainly sell it too. We also auction palm-oriented tools, and objets d’art.

Hope to see you there! Thanks as always for your support.
  • Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So, who's coming?

We're gonna have a rip-roarin' auction, with at least 35+ plants by me, plus others.

Plants to be auctioned include Dypsis leptocheilos, psammophila, saintluciei, onilahensis "highland form", as well as Brahea dulcis and decumbens.

And many more!

And, all attendees have a shot at winning the King Raffle Plant!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.