Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Is This A Eucalyptus neglecta?

PalmTreeDude

Does anyone know if this is a Eucalyptus neglecta? I bought it as Eucalyptus neglecta 'Big O' from a place called Soutgern Eucs, but am not sure if that is what it is, since I looked it up online and in the pictures I found they seem to be a bit different. Could it be a different species? 

20191105_171005_compress5.jpg

20191105_170933_compress80.jpg

20191105_171022_compress51.jpg

20191105_171013_compress39.jpg

Chester B

Looks right to me.  Those leaves will get bigger with time and the squareness of the trunks and branches will become more apparent.  Mine is 12'+ and still has the juvenile foliage.  It was planted a year and a half ago around 18" tall.  Neglecta has a very strong eucalyptus smell compared to other trees.  If you rub the leaves with your finger I'm sure you'll smell it.

One bit of advice is to not stake them.  They will grow out of control and not have strong enough roots to support the weight.  It's fine with the support you have now, to get it started but I wouldn't stake it anymore as it grows.  It's probably going to want to lean away from the fence until it clears it.

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

PalmTreeDude

Sorry Chester B for not replying months ago, I saw the reply and got distracted before I could even reply! Thanks for the advice. Would you recommend that I remove the stake and top this in the spring? It has grown a bit throughout the winter and it is really leaning downward, which I don't understand, you would think it would try to grow straight up. 

1583081672197429931955988564648.jpg

15830816873743714791578439095678.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude

Josue Diaz

Eucalyptus seedlings will flop and sprawl before developing a leader and growing up. Also, seedling foliage is different from adult foliage, and sometimes, even juvenile foliage. That might explain the difference you are noticing in foliage. I wouldn't top it. Let it grow naturally, then prune and shape as it grows.

PalmTreeDude
4 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Eucalyptus seedlings will flop and sprawl before developing a leader and growing up. Also, seedling foliage is different from adult foliage, and sometimes, even juvenile foliage. That might explain the difference you are noticing in foliage. I wouldn't top it. Let it grow naturally, then prune and shape as it grows.

So it's probably best to just let it adjust itself over time? I'll probably take the stake out soon then, thank you. 

Chester B

Yes take out the stake soon.  Maybe have a couple stakes on either side with loose string or rope around.  It will allow the wind to move it around but not knock it over, which should promote some stronger roots.  It's best to prune in spring when you have a couple days of dry weather.

PalmTreeDude

Alright I unstaked it today, I'll just let it do its thing and hopefully it starts growing up at some point. Thank you both for your help! 

1583696718040107410067083463049.jpg

• Like 1