Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Is This A Eucalyptus neglecta?

PalmTreeDude

Does anyone know if this is a Eucalyptus neglecta? I bought it as Eucalyptus neglecta 'Big O' from a place called Soutgern Eucs, but am not sure if that is what it is, since I looked it up online and in the pictures I found they seem to be a bit different. Could it be a different species? 

20191105_171005_compress5.jpg

20191105_170933_compress80.jpg

20191105_171022_compress51.jpg

20191105_171013_compress39.jpg

Chester B

Looks right to me.  Those leaves will get bigger with time and the squareness of the trunks and branches will become more apparent.  Mine is 12'+ and still has the juvenile foliage.  It was planted a year and a half ago around 18" tall.  Neglecta has a very strong eucalyptus smell compared to other trees.  If you rub the leaves with your finger I'm sure you'll smell it.

One bit of advice is to not stake them.  They will grow out of control and not have strong enough roots to support the weight.  It's fine with the support you have now, to get it started but I wouldn't stake it anymore as it grows.  It's probably going to want to lean away from the fence until it clears it.

Edited by Chester B

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• SEVA
      By SEVA
      After doing some recent exploring in various areas around southeast Virginia, I've noticed many different forms of live oak.  They range from very small shrubs directly on the coast to large trees as you travel inland.  Since southern live oak reaches it's northernmost limit in southeast Virginia, I thought it'd be interesting to document some of my findings.  Most of the photos that I will be sharing soon are from parts of Virginia Beach that are lesser known to those who visit.
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      My Needle Palm went from smaller fronds to big fronds over the summer, look at the size of them, and they'll get much bigger! I had to hold the camera way up to get the whole frond in the picture! 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      What is this plant? I am sure it is an easy one but I have never seen it before, it's planted at a pool. I like the looks of it. 

• SEVA
      By SEVA
      I figured I would start a new topic giving an update on some of my palms and other things growing in a Virginia garden.  Now that I've had a little more free time, I've been catching up on quite a bit of weeding and such.  It's still a work in progress.  Hopefully, I can get the photos to load.  Ever since getting a different phone I've had some difficulties uploading photos, so trying the computer.

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      So I have random palms sprouting around my yard in Virginia now. I am thinking this one is a date palm since last year I spit a few date pits in the area I found this, under my banana trees, I'm not taking it out. Also i have random Sabals still coming up from me throwing "no good" seeds around the yard.