Sign in to follow this  
Dartolution

ButiaXSyagrus'Litoralis'?

Dartolution

Has anyone purchased this mule cross before?

Who has experience with this specific cross?

I am looking for a mule for zone 8a (south central alabama) and this cross is supposed to be cold hardy enough to grow here.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Information? 

thanks 

DAVEinMB
10 hours ago, Dartolution said:

Has anyone purchased this mule cross before?

Who has experience with this specific cross?

I am looking for a mule for zone 8a (south central alabama) and this cross is supposed to be cold hardy enough to grow here.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Information? 

thanks 

I'm also interested in hearing more about the silver queen from someone with first hand experience. The bit of searching and reading I did was a tad convoluted with arguments that the syagrus romanzoffiana var. litoralis does not exist. I imagine there are hardier versions of queens based on where they grow and the specific genetics developed over time - maybe people are getting hung up on the nomenclature?

Either way, pics and info please from those who know.  Both queen and the mule :D

• Like 1

gilles06

I you look for a cold hardy mule palm maybe you should try JxB or reverse, f1 or f2.

Flow
50 minutes ago, gilles06 said:

I you look for a cold hardy mule palm maybe you should try JxB or reverse, f1 or f2.

Or the Butia eriospatha x Syagrus "Santa Catarina".

buffy

They're out there. I only see simple F1 variability in that hybrid. My Yatay Mule is the only one that seems distinctive. 

RJ
1 hour ago, Flow said:

Or the Butia eriospatha x Syagrus "Santa Catarina".

Unfortunately not found on this side of the pond.  I've searched high and low and so far it has eluded me. :(

To the OP. FWIW i have 3 maybe 4 of these that are 1g size that I purchased as small seedlings last year. They have not been tested but will in the next year or so. 

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

The7thLegend
12 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

I'm also interested in hearing more about the silver queen from someone with first hand experience. The bit of searching and reading I did was a tad convoluted with arguments that the syagrus romanzoffiana var. litoralis does not exist. I imagine there are hardier versions of queens based on where they grow and the specific genetics developed over time - maybe people are getting hung up on the nomenclature?

Either way, pics and info please from those who know.  Both queen and the mule :D

In my experience thus far it does seem the litoralis Queen is hardier.

Edited by The7thLegend
  • Like 1

Dartolution

It is my understanding that "litoralis" isn't a cultivar, and definitely not a species or subspecies, but instead simply a "designation" given to those syagrus romanzoffiana palms that have withstood substantial frosts/freezes and lived to tell the tale. It would then seem fairly evident that they have desirable genetic traits in terms of cold adaptability. 

My only complaint with the Jubaea crosses is that they are slower growers, correct?

Additionally, I didn't specify early what Butia species cross I was referring to. 

Specifically the odorata. 

Edited by Dartolution

buffy
On 11/5/2019 at 1:37 PM, RJ said:

Unfortunately not found on this side of the pond.  I've searched high and low and so far it has eluded me. :(

To the OP. FWIW i have 3 maybe 4 of these that are 1g size that I purchased as small seedlings last year. They have not been tested but will in the next year or so. 

Well. Not exactly true. I have various hybrids Nigel sent me a long time ago as seed. I have an erio, and para. crossed with what he described as Mountain Giant Syagrus r.

• Like 1

Flow
18 hours ago, buffy said:

Well. Not exactly true. I have various hybrids Nigel sent me a long time ago as seed. I have an erio, and para. crossed with what he described as Mountain Giant Syagrus r.

He also sold seeds of erio x santa catarina earlier this year that you should have been able to buy.

Steve in Florida
20 minutes ago, Flow said:

He also sold seeds of erio x santa catarina earlier this year that you should have been able to buy.

I was told that he stated he no longer wished to send seeds to the United States. 

buffy
On 11/7/2019 at 3:27 PM, Steve in Florida said:

I was told that he stated he no longer wished to send seeds to the United States. 

Probably because people complained when they sometimes didn't get them. It's the reality of trying to ship seeds overseas. Sometimes it doesn't work. 

Flow
On 11/7/2019 at 10:27 PM, Steve in Florida said:

Oh, I didn't know that. Sorry.

RJ
1 hour ago, Flow said:

Oh, I didn't know that. Sorry.

I think the few specimens of B. erio x santa such as Cameron's are from when Nigel lived in Brazil.  Otherwise there in no one that I know of that is currently making the cross state side. Patric has a B. erio but last I spoke with him he said it has not flowered yet and is ~ 10 years old. :blink:

Steve in Florida
7 hours ago, buffy said:

Probably because people complained when they sometimes didn't get them. It's the reality of trying to ship seeds overseas. Sometimes it doesn't work. 

They can use the Small Lots Seeds Program.  I've always received my seed orders but the USPS once shredded in half my order that was in a padded mailer and 90%+ of the seeds were lost.