IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

ButiaXSyagrus'Litoralis'?

Dartolution

Has anyone purchased this mule cross before?

Who has experience with this specific cross?

I am looking for a mule for zone 8a (south central alabama) and this cross is supposed to be cold hardy enough to grow here.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Information? 

thanks 

10 hours ago, Dartolution said:

Has anyone purchased this mule cross before?

Who has experience with this specific cross?

I am looking for a mule for zone 8a (south central alabama) and this cross is supposed to be cold hardy enough to grow here.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Information? 

thanks 

I'm also interested in hearing more about the silver queen from someone with first hand experience. The bit of searching and reading I did was a tad convoluted with arguments that the syagrus romanzoffiana var. litoralis does not exist. I imagine there are hardier versions of queens based on where they grow and the specific genetics developed over time - maybe people are getting hung up on the nomenclature?

Either way, pics and info please from those who know.  Both queen and the mule :D

• Like 1

I you look for a cold hardy mule palm maybe you should try JxB or reverse, f1 or f2.

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

50 minutes ago, gilles06 said:

I you look for a cold hardy mule palm maybe you should try JxB or reverse, f1 or f2.

Or the Butia eriospatha x Syagrus "Santa Catarina".

They're out there. I only see simple F1 variability in that hybrid. My Yatay Mule is the only one that seems distinctive. 

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

1 hour ago, Flow said:

Or the Butia eriospatha x Syagrus "Santa Catarina".

Unfortunately not found on this side of the pond.  I've searched high and low and so far it has eluded me. :(

To the OP. FWIW i have 3 maybe 4 of these that are 1g size that I purchased as small seedlings last year. They have not been tested but will in the next year or so. 

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

I'm also interested in hearing more about the silver queen from someone with first hand experience. The bit of searching and reading I did was a tad convoluted with arguments that the syagrus romanzoffiana var. litoralis does not exist. I imagine there are hardier versions of queens based on where they grow and the specific genetics developed over time - maybe people are getting hung up on the nomenclature?

Either way, pics and info please from those who know.  Both queen and the mule :D

In my experience thus far it does seem the litoralis Queen is hardier.

Edited by The7thLegend
  • Like 1

It is my understanding that "litoralis" isn't a cultivar, and definitely not a species or subspecies, but instead simply a "designation" given to those syagrus romanzoffiana palms that have withstood substantial frosts/freezes and lived to tell the tale. It would then seem fairly evident that they have desirable genetic traits in terms of cold adaptability. 

My only complaint with the Jubaea crosses is that they are slower growers, correct?

Additionally, I didn't specify early what Butia species cross I was referring to. 

Specifically the odorata. 

Edited by Dartolution

On 11/5/2019 at 1:37 PM, RJ said:

Unfortunately not found on this side of the pond.  I've searched high and low and so far it has eluded me. :(

To the OP. FWIW i have 3 maybe 4 of these that are 1g size that I purchased as small seedlings last year. They have not been tested but will in the next year or so. 

Well. Not exactly true. I have various hybrids Nigel sent me a long time ago as seed. I have an erio, and para. crossed with what he described as Mountain Giant Syagrus r.

• Like 1

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

18 hours ago, buffy said:

Well. Not exactly true. I have various hybrids Nigel sent me a long time ago as seed. I have an erio, and para. crossed with what he described as Mountain Giant Syagrus r.

He also sold seeds of erio x santa catarina earlier this year that you should have been able to buy.

20 minutes ago, Flow said:

He also sold seeds of erio x santa catarina earlier this year that you should have been able to buy.

I was told that he stated he no longer wished to send seeds to the United States. 

On 11/7/2019 at 3:27 PM, Steve in Florida said:

I was told that he stated he no longer wished to send seeds to the United States. 

Probably because people complained when they sometimes didn't get them. It's the reality of trying to ship seeds overseas. Sometimes it doesn't work. 

On 11/7/2019 at 10:27 PM, Steve in Florida said:

Oh, I didn't know that. Sorry.

1 hour ago, Flow said:

Oh, I didn't know that. Sorry.

I think the few specimens of B. erio x santa such as Cameron's are from when Nigel lived in Brazil.  Otherwise there in no one that I know of that is currently making the cross state side. Patric has a B. erio but last I spoke with him he said it has not flowered yet and is ~ 10 years old. :blink:

7 hours ago, buffy said:

Probably because people complained when they sometimes didn't get them. It's the reality of trying to ship seeds overseas. Sometimes it doesn't work. 

They can use the Small Lots Seeds Program.  I've always received my seed orders but the USPS once shredded in half my order that was in a padded mailer and 90%+ of the seeds were lost.

• 2 months later...
On 11/5/2019 at 1:37 PM, RJ said:

@RJ Any word on how they are doing?

7 hours ago, Dartolution said:

@RJ Any word on how they are doing?

They're doing just fine. They're 1g size so still have a lot of growing to do. The jury is still out on one, it looks more butia then the others at this point. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 1:27 PM, Steve in Florida said:

I have seeds sprouting now for Santa Catarina Mountain Queens from Nigel. Still early, about 10 of 200 have popped. If I get a good germination rate, I'll make some available.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, matthedlund said:

I have seeds sprouting now for Santa Catarina Mountain Queens from Nigel. Still early, about 10 of 200 have popped. If I get a good germination rate, I'll make some available.

That would be fantastic I would certainly like to be in line for a few. 

Thanks

Edited by RJ

6 hours ago, matthedlund said:

That's fantastic.  I hope your seeds are fresh.  Please contact me if you have a few extra seedlings.  My two planted seedlings were completely devastated by giant grasshoppers.

On 1/17/2020 at 12:53 PM, matthedlund said:

@matthedlund Id absolutely be interested in 1-3 of them if you can verify that they are truly Santa Catarina Mountain Queens. I am not sure who Nigel is... ? 

Yeah I want a couple of these "mountain" queens too.  Looks like you'll have a nice wait list on these.

Steve