IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Roystonea violacea

bubba

Saw this out of the ordinary Roystonea on Palm Pedia. Cuban pictures of the palm show astounding purple/pinkish trunk instead white concrete.

Unfortunately, the specimens outside of Cuba do not exhibit this out of the ordinary color. Specimens from Mauritus, Australia and Geraldo’s at The Deerfield Beach Arboretum do not appear to have this color.

It is a truly unique palm in Cuba. Has anyone had success outside of Cuba with a specimen exhibiting this exotic color?

What you look for is what is looking

I saw a juvenile R. violacea on the former location of Calusa Palms Nursery in East Naples about 8 years ago. It was a juvenile with about 5' of trunk and the crownshaft was a vivid burgundy violet that stopped me in my tracks. I asked owner Marc the name of this amazing Roystonea and he told me. At that moment I began hunting for one. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me so have no photos of it. Since then Calusa Palms sold the property and moved closer to the coast so what became of that palm I have no idea.

Just this week is the first time that this species doesn't show its traits outside of Cuba. I'd love to know why or how. Is the eastern tip of Cuba have a particular soil, i.e., serpentine, that causes the purple coloration? Only detailed scientific studies done in Cuba may provide the answer but that won't happen in my lifetime.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Meg,

I believe what Zeeth said on your thread. You have the real seeds and you will have that outstanding and vividly out of the ordinary specimen, like the one you saw at Calusa, in the near future.

I believe it is likely that what was sold as this violacia was a regular regia (mistake). The fact your seeds were so different is why I believe you both have a winner!

Thanks, Bubba. I hope so but time will tell.

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bubba said:

1BEFD598-0C5C-4118-890C-12FD8301669B.jpeg

Ahhhh. Bubba, I think you got it. That's what the one I saw looked like. Not only do they have a purplish crownshaft but they also have purplish trunks, not standard Roystonea gray. Is it seeding? Awesome palm.

• Like 2

Meg

Florida

3 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Is it seeding? Awesome palm.

That was my first thought as well! Doesn't appear to have been flowering though.

• Like 1

Random palm I saw in PB while driving today. Does not seem to be a planted specimen but an out of the ordinary volunteer. I will recheck this specimen to see if there are any clues to it’s history. Appears to be a juvenile under 20 ft...

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2019 at 7:45 PM, bubba said:

Random palm I saw in PB while driving today. Does not seem to be a planted specimen but an out of the ordinary volunteer. I will recheck this specimen to see if there are any clues to it’s history. Appears to be a juvenile under 20 ft...

Any update on this? Another somewhere nearby seeding hopefully???

• Like 1

I drove by it yesterday and it is still purple! Can anyone tell me at what time of year Roystonea violacea's flower and produce seed? I believe this specimen is mature enough to do so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bubba said:

I drove by it yesterday and it is still purple! Can anyone tell me at what time of year Roystonea violacea's flower and produce seed? I believe this specimen is mature enough to do so.

I don't know about violacea but my largest regia seeds off 'n on year round. But it's much older and larger than the palm in your photo. No matter what that palm is, if it produces offspring like the parent it is well worth cultivating.

• Like 2

Meg

Florida

• 5 weeks later...

Here is a couple of my R. Violacea. I was told they are from RPS seed collected in Eastern Cuba. To me they look a little different than R. regia.

1C14CEB5-82A3-4B7A-946D-0B1F55C524B4.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 1/11/2020 at 1:34 PM, DavidLee said:

Here is a couple of my R. Violacea. I was told they are from RPS seed collected in Eastern Cuba. To me they look a little different than R. regia.

1C14CEB5-82A3-4B7A-946D-0B1F55C524B4.jpeg

Where did you get those?

I thought of ordering a backup from Floribunda but didn't. Jeff no longer carries them.

Meg

Florida

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Anyone have an update on the growth of these beautiful palms? I know it's been years.  Always good to ask.

Edited by Visgoth
Removing a tagged name.

• 1 month later...

Out of 200 seeds ordered from RPS, I got 4 sprouts. Here are 3 of them (the other one ended up getting planted at my house in Tampa). The Syagrus will probably end up getting taken out once the R. violacea gain some size.

image.thumb.jpeg.2c80a6605d72f0f9d9f47e696cf9f366.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)