Oviedo_z10b_lol

Small cocos in a planter... soil advice.

Oviedo_z10b_lol

Home Depot was having a sale on 3gal c. Nucifera so I bought one. I plan on keeping it in a large planter through this winter until I plant it out in the spring. 

any advice on soil type for the planter?

originally I potted it in about 50/50 native soil (central florida sand) and top soil.  But it seems to hold moisture more than ideal. 

perhaps mix in some play sand? Or miracle grow tropical soil mix? 

thanks in advance 

Reeverse

I would use potting soil if your buying the bag type.  It has larger  bark in it for drainage and perlite to help with compaction.  Most of our native soil when put in a pot compacts too much and is heavy. 

• Like 1

GottmitAlex

20170420_113629(0) (Large).jpg

I employed "Black magic potting soil" for the first 3-4 months after germination, then I planted it.

It's a beauty after only 2 years since germination:

20191102_142456.jpg

1572742293670223113183283484517.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

palmsOrl

Whatever you use, I would make sure that the mix is no less than around 50% sand.

• Like 1

GottmitAlex
1 hour ago, palmsOrl said:

Whatever you use, I would make sure that the mix is no less than around 50% sand.

Once in the ground. I concur.

I have 100% pure, coarse sand in the ground. Plus about 1" of lava sand as top dressing.

Every year I add in more lava sand.

I highly recommend "Acme" lava sand company out of AZ. It sounds like a joke. I know.  

You can procure their lava sand through Amazon.

It just works. (No. I do not get any kickback from this. I am only helping out):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S8H00I4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_ko1VDbB5NB4G3

15728184737865585130720165732110.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• kbob11
      By kbob11
      Hi everyone,
           This is my first attempt at germinating a store bought coconut.  So far it has been doing well.  I am noticing the newest fronds coming out are lighter in color with some browning.  Is this normal?  I am not really familiar with trying these.  I know they need heat and humidity.  It is sitting on a pad on top of my radiator.  The room is kept at 50% humidity and inside the bag it’s probably closer to 70%.  Below are some pictures, sorry for the quality.  

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Hello everyone, I was looking at an app called iNaturalist, which is an app that lets you post and look at observations of plants and animals around the world, and I typed in Cocos nucifera and found this post in northern Morocco by the Mediterranean Sea. Does anyone know any information about this? I thought that it would be too cool in the winter for them there. 

• Fusca
      By Fusca
      It's that time of year again!  This marks the 30th anniversary of the release of Corona's "Christmas Tree" ad.  And, appropriately enough in the year of the Corona virus (no affiliation).  It's the second longest running TV commercial that has been shown every year in the US since 1990.  Always has been one of my favorites.  Merry Christmas everyone!

• graupel
      By graupel
      Hi everybody!
      I have a serious problem with germination of the coconuts. Many coconuts start to rot during the germination (some seedlings survive only). The surface of the coconuts and the embryo are covered with the white fuzzy / powder mold. I realize that the germination of the coconuts from the supermarkets is often associated with a high risk of failure, but if it is possible, I would at least want to minimize the formation of the molds on the coconuts. Since I grow the coconut palms indoor (I have a large south window where I grow my coconut palms for several years), I would like to use some natural (not chemical) fungicides. So far, I've only tried potassium permanganate, but it didn't help. What other natural fungicide do you recommend? I read on the internet that some natural products can be effective, such as: cinnamon, hydrogen peroxide, ethanol (short-term action only), seasalt water (coconut palms tolerate it highly), baking soda and liquid grapefruit seed extract (GSE). At the moment I don't have the opportunity to experiment with all the possibilities, so to make my situation easier, I want to ask you: Which natural product has the best fungicidal effects to kill the white fuzzy / powder molds?
      Thank you!
      Sincerely,
      Miroslav

• Fusca
      By Fusca
      So my next-door neighbor recently drove to visit her parents in Homestead, FL and I took care of watering and mowing while she was gone.  She came back last night with some seeds from a family friend's property!  Two of them had roots coming out and they got potted up.  I ran out of sand so I need to get some more later today - is that the best medium to use?  I'll be planting them out at a rental property near Harlingen, TX in the spring.