• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Shiveringtropicals
      By Shiveringtropicals
      It's finally getting spring again and i have gotten around to sowing my seeds.
      its been Sunny which means that i don't need that much supplemental heat which i don't really have a good way of giving anyway cause i only have 1 25Watt heating mat.
      Getting the humidity down has been a little tricky so i keep the top open for ventilation so i don't get fungus.
      This year i have (among others) a bunch of palms like Trithrinax campestris, Livistona australis, Arenga engleri and Jubaea chilensis and also a large assortment of Macrozamia species.
      Macrozamia elegans, moorei, diplomera ,fraseri, riedlei and johnsonii. I went a little over budget this year lol

the heating mat is under the aluminium plate which in hindsight was maybe not smart cause now i need the temperature to be set a lot higher.
      the idea was that the plate could evenly conduct heat to the bottom cause the mat is to small to fill the box.
      the sides are made of plexiglas and i have made the sides of aluminium too it looks really cool but i have to remember to close the blinds if it gets to hot in there.
      and i also have a temperature sensor build into the body of the box.

The Jubaea seeds seem to be mostly floating not sure how much germination i will get out of them and some of the Macrozamia moorei seeds were slowly bubbling all night not sure if it mean that some of them have gone bad.
      i also have some more cycas petraea seeds (the big ones bottom left) i bought them again this year cause they didn't do anything for me last year.
      and some ginkgo trees which i think are Interesting trees but i have never succesfully germinated.

wish me luck for this year

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Coccothrinax proctorii is an uncommon, slow-growing, endangered palm from the Cayman Islands, commonly called the "Cayman Island Thatch Palm". Its very large, relaxed leaves are dark green above and silver below. My mother palm on my garden lot flowers periodically all year and produces limited crops of seeds. The current crop numbers fewer than 100 seeds and I am selling it in one lot. See summary below
      Coccothrinax proctorii seeds: 80+ @ $12.00 for the lot
      Shipping: $5.00 in padded envelope
      No shipping overseas. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested
      See photos below:

• missknich
      By missknich
      Hello! I’m interested in trying to grow a large quantity of Bismarckia nobilis (Silver Bismarck) trees from seeds. I am located in South Florida, and I’ve collected about a thousand seeds and citrus pots from neighboring growers. I’ve read through every thread on this site about Bismarcks, but I’m still lacking the knowledge I need to get started. I soaked the fruited seeds (mostly brown, some still greenish) in water for 4 days, changing the water daily. Per advice on this site I tried cleaning the fruit with a wire brush rigged to a drill and it didn’t make a dent. I then tried a cement mixer with sand, gravel, water, and seeds and after running for 45 minutes, the fruit was still entirely intact on all but a few seeds. I’m at a loss of what to try next, short of putting the seeds in a sack and running them over with the truck. I’m also interested in this community’s view on community pots/beds for the Bismarcks versus raising them in their own pot from a seed. I’m really looking forward to experimenting with this magnificent palm using different methods and growing mediums, I just need to figure out how to get these things cleaned! Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Coccothrinax scoparia is native to hills in Hispaniola - Haiti & Dominican Republic - where it grows to 36' tall in calcareous soil. Its leaves are a deep, dark green on top, glistening silver beneath. Although most Coccothrinax spp have yellow or gold hastulas, the hastula of scoparia leaves is green. I grew my mother from seeds I obtained over 10 years ago. It is now one of the tallest Coccothrinax in my Caribbean Garden and one of the best looking and fastest growing I have. It is totally hardy in zone 10a and maybe in microclimates of 9b. It is not fussy about soil, is drought tolerant once established but grows faster with regular water. See summary below:
      Coccothrinax scoparia seeds: 50 @ $10.00 for the lot        100 @ $15.00 for the lot
      Shipping: $5.00 in padded envelope          No shipping overseas. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested
      See photos below:

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      I have a pair of Cycas thouarsii which I pollinated with pollen from some of my male Cycas thouarsii back in late 2018.  I am curious how long it takes for the seeds to mature and if they should fall off the plant when they are "ripe".  The photos below are just about 15 months apart with the early photos taken of the plants and seeds in November 2018 and the other shots current from February 2020.  I know it is easy to determine when to harvest seeds from Encephalartos as the cones starts to fall apart.  What is the best indication for Cycas thouarsii and any input on how long that takes?  I assume there also could be a little variation in how long it takes based on climate (faster in habitat and slower in my cooler climate).