IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix canariensis disease?

Jason in SB CA

My parents have two Phoenix canariensis that have been growing fine, but recently one of them has started to produce malformed fronds. Their gardener said it is a disease, but I am not sure if that is the case. I know they likely do not sanitize their tools in between trimming, so I would imagine all their canary island date palms would have this problem. If it is a disease, what can be done?

IMG_20191028_172214.jpg

IMG_20191028_172158.jpg

IMG_20191028_172206.jpg

IMG_20191028_172227.jpg

• Like 1

For fun, here are some other palms I have growing there:

Ceroxylon alpinum
Roystonea borinquena (or oleracea, can't remember at the moment)
Rhopalostylis baueri
Dypsis decipiens
Parajubaea torallyi

and others

IMG_20191028_172353.jpg

IMG_20191028_172331.jpg

IMG_20191028_172317.jpg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jason in SB CA said:

My parents have two Phoenix canariensis that have been growing fine, but recently one of them has started to produce malformed fronds. Their gardener said it is a disease, but I am not sure if that is the case. I know they likely do not sanitize their tools in between trimming, so I would imagine all their canary island date palms would have this problem. If it is a disease, what can be done?

Almost looks like frizzle top, but I haven't seen it on Phoenix canariensis.  If it is, fertilizing with manganese will help correct this issue. 

Might also be boron deficiency: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/EP/EP26400.pdf

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F