IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Slowest palm in the garden.,

quaman58

So, inspired by Joe’s “fastest palm in my garden” thread, I thought about the opposite end of the spectrum in my yard. My criteria was that it had to at least appear to be healthy and growing, however nominally. Feel free to add yours! Hands down, mine is a 7 or 8 year old Coccothrinax ekmanii. It was a blade of grass when I got it. Even by Coccothrinax standards, it sure takes its time. Here it is in all of its glory, with a 12oz brew for scale..

C79BFB37-EA86-4D1F-B844-BE1FC9C6DA02.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

24 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

So, inspired by Joe’s “fastest palm in my garden” thread, I thought about the opposite end of the spectrum in my yard. My criteria was that it had to at least appear to be healthy and growing, however nominally. Feel free to add yours! Hands down, mine is a 7 or 8 year old Coccothrinax ekmanii. It was a blade of grass when I got it. Even by Coccothrinax standards, it sure takes its time. Here it is in all of its glory, with a 12oz brew for scale..

That’s 8 years old? Holy I have a community pot full of first strap seedlings. Didn’t realIze they would take that long 

Dypsis plumosa. 2 years in the ground from seed.

20191027_152051.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

3 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Dypsis plumosa. 2 years in the ground from seed.

20191027_152051.jpg

Water more.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

3 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Water more.

It's in clay. I water it once, daily. 

I will do it twice.

Thanks Dave.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

3 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

That’s 8 years old? Holy I have a community pot full of first strap seedlings. Didn’t realIze they would take that long 

I'd say par for the course. Psuedophoenix are about that slow, too.

• Like 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Just now, GottmitAlex said:

It's in clay. I water it once, daily. 

I will do it twice.

Thanks Dave.

Hmm, interesting.

Was that one of my seeds?

3 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Hmm, interesting.

Was that one of my seeds?

It's your baby, DD.

Threw them on the ground almost three years ago and a year after, three of them sprouted. Two were killed by cats. But this one survived.  I'm keeping it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

It's your baby, DD.

Threw them on the ground almost three years ago and a year after, three of them sprouted. Two were killed by cats. But this one survived.  I'm keeping it.

EEK! A Cat!

What did the cats do to them? Eat them?

5 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

EEK! A Cat!

What did the cats do to them? Eat them?

Yanked 'em off of the ground.

I guess they like to play with small plants?

The worse part is, I'm allergic to cats. I only know this because my cctv cameras picked up the footage. 

1 minute ago, GottmitAlex said:

Yanked 'em off of the ground.

I guess they like to play with small plants?

The worse part is, I'm allergic to cats. I only know this because my cctv cameras picked up the footage. 

EEK

Sorry to hear about the allergy!

I have six cats, and they like grass and baby palms, too. :crying:

• Like 1

Good you didn't ask why the feral cats did not get your last D. Plumosa.   I'll take the fifth on that one. I'll leave it at that.

:greenthumb:

• Like 1

I will always be grateful for your generosity @DoomsDave.

Thank you

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GottmitAlex said:

Good you didn't ask why the feral cats did not get your last D. Plumosa.   I'll take the fifth on that one. I'll leave it at that.

:greenthumb:

Want some more seeds?

I will let you know. I promise.

I would like understory palms for my cocos. This coming spring I will take you up on your offer. As always, DD, you are amazing. 

Right now it is Jubaea chilensis.  Healthy seedlings but only two leaves max from seed so far.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

2 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

I will let you know. I promise.

I would like understory palms for my cocos. This coming spring I will take you up on your offer. As always, DD, you are amazing. 

Might want some now . . . .

3 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Right now it is Jubaea chilensis.  Healthy seedlings but only two leaves max from seed so far.

And I thought my Washingtonia filibustas were pavement-crackers.  That is huge. 

• Like 1

Just now, GottmitAlex said:

And I thought my Washingtonia filibustas were pavement-crackers.  That is huge. 

I do have some Washingtonia filifera as well.  At least two of them seem healthy enough for the ground, so I may give a California-themed garden a try on some elevated ground.  The Jubaea and Washingtonia would be paired with some of my Phoenix dactylifera.  Looking into canopy spacing for it right now actually.

• Like 3

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

7 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Oh, dang, that's a thang' y'all. Didn't think Jubes grew in Florida.

PROVE WRONG!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DoomsDave said:

Oh, dang, that's a thang' y'all. Didn't think Jubes grew in Florida.

PROVE WRONG!

They aren't in the ground yet, so wish me luck.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

3 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

They aren't in the ground yet, so wish me luck.

Oh. Best of luck! Being in the northern part of Flahriduh, it may have a chance.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Oh. Best of luck! Being in the northern part of Flahriduh, it may have a chance.

I'm actually in Central Florida about 50 miles SW of Orlando and about 30 miles east of Tampa.

201910272300_Lakeland_FL.png

The weather here is extremely hot in the summer, literally some of the highest average July and August temperatures in the state.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

5 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

Rob, I figure they’d be faster with heat or a greenhouse. For now, I’m just claiming that it’s a bonsai Palm I’ve spent years training. It’s got to speed up some time, right?

• Like 1

Bret

43 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

I'm actually in Central Florida about 50 miles SW of Orlando and about 30 miles east of Tampa.

201910272300_Lakeland_FL.png

The weather here is extremely hot in the summer, literally some of the highest average July and August temperatures in the state.

Oh. Then best if luck!

Keep up abreast of the situation with your jubaea. 

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Brett, I like your choice of beer !

It’s been a warm summer down here Darold. My doctor stresses the importance of staying hydrated!

• Like 3

Bret

:interesting:

73007260_592189527984481_9198167528084340736_n.jpg

• Like 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

12 hours ago, quaman58 said:

It’s been a warm summer down here Darold. My doctor stresses the importance of staying hydrated!

I think I like your doctor...

Butch

1 hour ago, BS Man about Palms said:

:interesting:

73007260_592189527984481_9198167528084340736_n.jpg

So is that one of the previous batches Bill? Or from this year?

Bret

1 hour ago, Butch said:

I think I like your doctor...

Butch

Yeah, I picked up his business card at the dispensary. :mrlooney:

Bret

I’m in the slow cocco club too. I have 2 that I’m not sure what species they are. I remember I got them unmarked.  I’ve had them in the ground for about 10 years. I actually forgot about them until this thread. I found them and I swear they haven’t grown at all. 

C612423A-5ADC-4972-AA5E-F90DD8F8A083.jpeg

52238C24-A361-4DAD-AE06-5CA904303BA0.jpeg

• Like 2

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Steve,

I also have a couple borhidianas that I keep forgetting about, as it only takes about 1/2" of leaf litter to cover them.  But they don't look as content as the ekmanii. 10 years in the ground, wow. Your grand kids will have great stories to tell as they sip margaritas underneath the canopy of it.

Bret

• Like 1

Bret

6 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

Steve,

I also have a couple borhidianas that I keep forgetting about, as it only takes about 1/2" of leaf litter to cover them.  But they don't look as content as the ekmanii. 10 years in the ground, wow. Your grand kids will have great stories to tell as they sip margaritas underneath the canopy of it.

Bret

I don’t know Bret. At this rate I think the sun will swallow up the earth before a trunk forms on these. Your right about the leaf liter. I had to dig these guys out. 

• Like 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

On 10/27/2019 at 10:47 PM, quaman58 said:

Your palm would make an ideal bonsai too. :greenthumb::D Maybe you can keep it in a pot for 100 years or so.

• Like 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

On 10/27/2019 at 2:47 PM, quaman58 said:

Funny thing is that’s the biggest one I know of out here!  Rare palm, it seems; I’ve never seen one available.  Looks happy.  

I have a tiny Copernicia Baileyana, that has put out a bunch of leaves.  First two pictures are from about a year ago, and the next three are from last month.  Probably my slowest Palm in the ground.  One gallon watering bottle, for scale.  I’ve found this great for spot watering, so you don’t need to worry about getting water in the crown.  I just spray the hose in, and the water is forced into the root zone.  For comparison, you can see the leaf (with three leaflets) in the lower left corner of the first photo, in the last pic.F7230E2A-78D9-47B0-A28A-FDF59A93ED26.jpeg.64b8a2e4202f5933af82f799c689c5e9.jpeg

DE0EBF78-5F93-4DC1-B8E6-FC5AF473CA2F.thumb.jpeg.cdbc615ffe0d699b6eb6ec78dc24dfca.jpeg8EFDDCCE-AD6C-4322-B103-879C14356992.jpeg.21e92cded1da1557d550a2c443cb4585.jpegDA815DE2-0751-4602-AA96-61542B91C2F6.jpeg.c6ba1a46b20269a68b06af2945aa8c1c.jpeg6A024CA0-3F06-4A98-8211-260C4AEC7FE6.jpeg.d1c154f87b41d1b361d233963ac0cf3b.jpeg

Edited by The Steve
  • Like 2

On 10/27/2019 at 8:44 PM, kinzyjr said:

I may give a California-themed garden a try on some elevated ground.  The Jubaea and Washingtonia would be paired with some of my Phoenix dactylifera

Jeremy,

please do! Would love to see it. That would definitely stand out in your area. You could charge admission! :floor:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Steve said:

Funny thing is that’s the biggest one I know of out here!  Rare palm, it seems; I’ve never seen one available.  Looks happy.  

I have a tiny Copernicia Baileyana, that has put out a bunch of leaves.  First two pictures are from about a year ago, and the next three are from last month.  Probably my slowest Palm in the ground.  One gallon watering bottle, for scale.  I’ve found this great for spot watering, so you don’t need to worry about getting water in the crown.  I just spray the hose in, and the water is forced into the root zone.  For comparison, you can see the leaf (with three leaflets) in the lower left corner of the first photo, in the last pic.F7230E2A-78D9-47B0-A28A-FDF59A93ED26.jpeg.64b8a2e4202f5933af82f799c689c5e9.jpeg

DE0EBF78-5F93-4DC1-B8E6-FC5AF473CA2F.thumb.jpeg.cdbc615ffe0d699b6eb6ec78dc24dfca.jpeg8EFDDCCE-AD6C-4322-B103-879C14356992.jpeg.21e92cded1da1557d550a2c443cb4585.jpegDA815DE2-0751-4602-AA96-61542B91C2F6.jpeg.c6ba1a46b20269a68b06af2945aa8c1c.jpeg6A024CA0-3F06-4A98-8211-260C4AEC7FE6.jpeg.d1c154f87b41d1b361d233963ac0cf3b.jpeg

So that's what they look like when they get "big", huh? Mine should be that size in the next 7-8 years...

• Like 1

Bret

C ekmanii is a favorite of mine...but geeze they can be such a slow genus. My crinita seedling I've had for almost a year is just now pushing out a new leaf.

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.” –Frank Lloyd Wright