IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Maintaining C. elegans

rabblemire

Hey palm pros! To preface, I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to keeping indoor plants. I just recently managed to kill my beautiful Bamboo palm by overpotting in Miracle Gro, so I'm really worried about doing something to create another casualty.

My parlor palm is starting to get pretty big, and I'm wondering if I should think about separating the two clumps when spring comes. When I bought it about a year and half ago, it came in a clump of three. I decided to separate one of the clumps into a smaller pot, but I must have done something to upset it. The single clump never really recovered from the transplant and looked permanently sick. Fortunately, the pair that were left have been growing like crazy.

It's currently potted with MG indoor potting soil - Not the greatest from what I understand. I would like to get it out of this stuff and into some 5:1:1 mix when spring comes around. (5 parts pine bark mulch, 1 part peat, 1 part perlite). Is this an appropriate mix for this plant? I've read that it's great for drainage and aeration, and my other plants (Schefflera amate and Rhapis) seem to be doing well after 3 months in it.

Is it worth risking a separation? Most large parlor palms I see appear to only have a single clump

IMG_20191027_145830.jpg

IMG_20191027_145842.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Zone 8a

Chamaedorea elegans, i.e., the parlor palm, is actually a solitary palm that is sold in artificial clumps at garden centers. You can buy a 4" pot of seedlings for $3 or $4, then separate the individual plants and end up with 30 palms that can flower when only 3' tall. Much prettier and more compelling than a mess of palms struggling to survive. Most of the palms in your pot will succumb to the struggle anyway. Chamaedoreas are not as root sensitive as some palms. To separate them you need a hose, time, patience and care to tease all their roots apart. Rinse off most of the soil, then gently untangle the roots. If you do it now, the individually potted plants should have a bit of time before weather turns cold. Or wait to do it next spring.

Do not pot them in cheap, dollar store potting soil. Get a very well draining, coarse garden soil, then amend it with perlite or pumice for extra drainage. Do not overwater or let pots sit in leftover water. Avoid soggy or mucky soil.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

9 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Chamaedorea elegans, i.e., the parlor palm, is actually a solitary palm that is sold in artificial clumps at garden centers. You can buy a 4" pot of seedlings for $3 or $4, then separate the individual plants and end up with 30 palms that can flower when only 3' tall. Much prettier and more compelling than a mess of palms struggling to survive. Most of the palms in your pot will succumb to the struggle anyway. Chamaedoreas are not as root sensitive as some palms. To separate them you need a hose, time, patience and care to tease all their roots apart. Rinse off most of the soil, then gently untangle the roots. If you do it now, the individually potted plants should have a bit of time before weather turns cold.

Do not pot them in cheap, dollar store potting soil. Get a very well draining, coarse garden soil, then amend it with perlite or pumice for extra drainage. Do not overwater or let pots sit in leftover water. Avoid soggy or mucky soil.

Thank you for the reply! You know, I thought it was a little strange to have that many little chutes all crammed into such a small container. I really appreciate the input, and have one more question. I mentioned previously wanting to move over to that 5:1:1 mix (pine bark, peat and perlite). I haven't had much luck finding some of the other potting mediums like LECA and turface. Does this mix sound well draining enough?

and just to clarify, you mean to separate the individual plants like this?

IMG_20191027_145842-2.jpg

Zone 8a

You have outlined two separate palms correctly.

Some people prefer a bunched look especially when young, and your pot looks good, but it is probably about time you did separate them more. Some people like the look of a solitary palm.  For me two or three in one pot is not too many. I'm sure what you what you choose will look fine.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

9 hours ago, gtsteve said:

You have outlined two separate palms correctly.

Some people prefer a bunched look especially when young, and your pot looks good, but it is probably about time you did separate them more. Some people like the look of a solitary palm.  For me two or three in one pot is not too many. I'm sure what you what you choose will look fine.

I think I'll go 2-3 per pot like you said, if only for the space saving factor. Do you think a 4in nursery pot would be an appropriate size? Or should i go bigger?

Zone 8a

I took the following photos of one of my potted Chamaedorea elegans today. It needs to be staked but I haven't gotten around to it. I came by this palm by separating a 4" pot jammed with tiny seedlings into nearly 40 individual palms. I have some planted in the ground where they have gone on to multiply. Others, like this one, I keep in pots that I can move around the yard. This little guy is an adult less than 3' tall, excluding pot. Its tiny stem is the circumference of my little finger. These are lovely little palms that deserve better than being crammed into undersized pots with its fellow solitary kin.

Chamaedorea elegans, Cape Coral, FL, 2019

209743937_Chamaedoreaeleganspotted0110-28-19.thumb.JPG.97de5024a49fdf6a1c73324c0e0da1ec.JPG1766557233_Chamaedoreaeleganspotted0210-28-19.thumb.JPG.c4bfde06296bc0c630f6db29153f5d8c.JPG1487681689_Chamaedoreaeleganspotted0310-28-19.thumb.JPG.6e5ccb9bbe89ba0cf3ef1cca7e01f9ab.JPG932404987_Chamaedoreaelegans0410-28-19.thumb.JPG.d49a7042b25bf84b73062a1f94d31d82.JPG

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Meg's pot size looks good to me, although some would say that a smaller pot is better. Smaller requires more frequent watering, but is less likely to retain too much water.

Pot size has been about space and convenience for me, Ch elegans is tough, I don't think that it will care. 

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Oh wow, I had no idea they grew to be that big! Thank you for sharing, Meg. That's a great looking palm. You've inspired me to plant some of these individually, that's for sure.

I've been doing a lot of leg work today to find some better soil components. I was able to get my hands on a bag of turface MVP, so combined with pine bark and perlite, I should be able to create a decent mix. Once i get started with the separation, I'll take some pictures and report back with the results.

Zone 8a

It took a bit of time, but it's done!

Everything is currently potted in a 60/40 pinebark- turface MVP mixture, with a small amount of CRF

Pictures in order:

sifting the large chunks out of the pine bark, then using a small fan to remove some of the dust from the < .5in chips

The pot was definitely getting a little crowded

There were a few of these small worms in the soil I removed from the pot. I'm not sure what's up with that.

A small sample of the many, many palms I now have. I'm going to have to give some of these away! :mellow2:

Thank you Meg, Steve and Ricky :)

IMG_20191102_140014.jpg

IMG_20191102_144855.jpg

IMG_20191102_145332.jpg

IMG_20191102_183025.jpg

• Like 1

Zone 8a