Sign in to follow this  
SEVA

Virginia's southern live oaks (Quercus virginiana)

SEVA

Hampton, VA

1017201222_HDR~2.jpg

• Upvote 1

SEVA

Hampton, VA

1017201233_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

SEVA

Hampton, VA

1017201225_HDR~2.jpg

• Upvote 1

SEVA

Hampton, VA

1017201226_HDR~2.jpg

• Upvote 1

SEVA

Hampton, VA

1017201057_HDR~2.jpg

• Upvote 1

SEVA

This one was partially in the road.

1017201234_HDR~2.jpg

• Upvote 1

SEVA

Hampton, VA

1017201202d_HDR~2.jpg

• Upvote 1

SEVA

Algernourne Oak - Hampton, VA

1017201207~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

SEVA

Emancipation Oak - Hampton, VA

1017201337a~2.jpg

• Upvote 1

SEVA

Emancipation Oak - Hampton, VA

1017201341_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

PalmsUSA
On 11/7/2019 at 3:23 PM, SEVA said:

Norfolk, VA

1107191258a_HDR.jpg

On 11/7/2019 at 3:24 PM, SEVA said:

Norfolk, VA. The Sabal minor palms were about 7ft tall in overall height.

1107191054_HDR.jpg

Sorry I know I am way late to respond to this, but I am relatively new here. I love the Sabal minor in the bottom picture and Trachycarpus fortunei in the above picture, and it is great to see them growing in Norfolk. Where exactly is this tree? It looks like some kind of park. I also love your other photos of the live oaks. I might be going to the Hampton Roads area soon and I would love to visit this park. Thank you!

PalmsUSA

Edited by PalmsUSA

SEVA
10 hours ago, PalmsUSA said:

Sorry I know I am way late to respond to this, but I am relatively new here. I love the Sabal minor in the bottom picture and Trachycarpus fortunei in the above picture, and it is great to see them growing in Norfolk. Where exactly is this tree? It looks like some kind of park. I also love your other photos of the live oaks. I might be going to the Hampton Roads area soon and I would love to visit this park. Thank you!

PalmsUSA

The photo with the Trachycarpus fortunei was taken at the Virginia Zoo and the photo with the Sabal minor was taken at Lafayette Park. 

PalmsUSA
14 hours ago, SEVA said:

The photo with the Trachycarpus fortunei was taken at the Virginia Zoo and the photo with the Sabal minor was taken at Lafayette Park. 

Thank you so much!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Jhonny
      By Jhonny
      Hi guys, brand new to this site. I’ve been on here for quite some time as a reader but never posted before.
      I wanted to talk about Sabal Palmetto’s range possibly being officially extended to Virginia Beach. Usually the cut off is in North Carolina and naturally it is. But this past week I went down to VA Beach with the sole intention of finding as many volunteers as I could at the oceanfront, and let me tell you how shocked I was by the amount there was. First let me start off by saying I went on the 2 most rainiest days so unfortunately I was only able to cover 1/2 of the strip. And of that half I only covered the east side of Atlantic Ave. And of that east side I was only able to cover the street side, not the boardwalk at all. And after only covering that fraction of the strip, I found dozens, if not hundreds of Sabals growing at all stages. And not just Sabal, Pindos as well! 
      On every block there was at least a few barely beginning to sprout, but there were definitely some a few years and older. The biggest one I found was at the Capes Resort which easily was 12-15 feet tall, the trunk starting to rise. There were several around the height of stop signs and most were to my hips and lower. There were a few that were growing nearly at the boardwalk, the limit before you get to the sand. I would say half of these things were growing in bushes, or under trees, or in other protected areas. But there was a good chunk growing out in the open, exposed to all elements. 
      Having resisted multiple winters and continuing to grow (most showed little to no damage), I have no doubt they will grow to be some of the hardiest Sabals in existence. The offsprings of these strands will only get hardier and adapt better to the climate so I 100% believe Sabal is permanently here to stay. I know that most of these trees have come from Florida or other nurseries much further south and this isn’t an extension of range occurring naturally from its NC counterparts. But I think the range for this tree has officially crossed the state line. 
      I’m planning to take another trip next month to finish the other half of the beach where I know there are just as many growing. What do you guys think of these Virginian palmettos?

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Is this a Quercus virginiana seedling? Last Spring I was at Virginia Beach and just picked up the seed, which was already germinating on the ground, and brought it home with me. There are a ton of wild live oaks all around Virginia Beach, but I can't even remeber if I looked for the tree this one came from. I believe it is a live oak seedling, I kept it inside since it was so small (it was in a shady spot during the summer). It is starting to grow again. Is there a way to tell if it is a live oak other than it not losing its leaves, at this size? 

• SEVA
      By SEVA
      I'm not sure if this belongs in the weather/climate section, but I read this phenomenon occurs after extended periods without rain and little/no wind allowing the natural oils to develop on the surface of the water. I captured these photos recently at a local swamp.

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Does anyone know if this is a Eucalyptus neglecta? I bought it as Eucalyptus neglecta 'Big O' from a place called Soutgern Eucs, but am not sure if that is what it is, since I looked it up online and in the pictures I found they seem to be a bit different. Could it be a different species?