IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Virginia's southern live oaks (Quercus virginiana)

SEVA

On 11/7/2019 at 3:23 PM, SEVA said:

Norfolk, VA

1107191258a_HDR.jpg

On 11/7/2019 at 3:24 PM, SEVA said:

Norfolk, VA. The Sabal minor palms were about 7ft tall in overall height.

1107191054_HDR.jpg

Sorry I know I am way late to respond to this, but I am relatively new here. I love the Sabal minor in the bottom picture and Trachycarpus fortunei in the above picture, and it is great to see them growing in Norfolk. Where exactly is this tree? It looks like some kind of park. I also love your other photos of the live oaks. I might be going to the Hampton Roads area soon and I would love to visit this park. Thank you!

PalmsUSA

Edited by PalmsUSA
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, PalmsUSA said:

Sorry I know I am way late to respond to this, but I am relatively new here. I love the Sabal minor in the bottom picture and Trachycarpus fortunei in the above picture, and it is great to see them growing in Norfolk. Where exactly is this tree? It looks like some kind of park. I also love your other photos of the live oaks. I might be going to the Hampton Roads area soon and I would love to visit this park. Thank you!

PalmsUSA

The photo with the Trachycarpus fortunei was taken at the Virginia Zoo and the photo with the Sabal minor was taken at Lafayette Park. 

USDA Hardiness Zone 7b/8a

AHS Heat Zone 7

14 hours ago, SEVA said:

The photo with the Trachycarpus fortunei was taken at the Virginia Zoo and the photo with the Sabal minor was taken at Lafayette Park. 

Thank you so much!

This tree is a hybrid between Quercus lyrata and Quercus virginiana known as Compton oak (Quercus x comptoniae). 

1024201129b~2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AHS Heat Zone 7

• 2 weeks later...

Those are planted in DC too

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

8 hours ago, climate change virginia said:

Those are planted in DC too

How large are the live oaks up in D.C.?

AHS Heat Zone 7

There were many bluejack oaks (Quercus incana) mixed in with the live oaks and/or sand live oaks.

Virginia Beach, VA

1105201513_HDR~2.jpg

AHS Heat Zone 7

I know this is supposed to be focusing on live oaks, but I thought this one was interesting to share. There were a few Zanthoxylum clava-herculis growing between the oaks.

1105201616_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 2

AHS Heat Zone 7

14 hours ago, SEVA said:

How large are the live oaks up in D.C.?

mature they are big enough to climb on

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

• 3 months later...

I used to live on Williamsburg/Yorktown when I was young. I went to Virginia Beach area and Norfolk all the time. It's odd that I never noticed them, but I'm not surprised that they're there. Do they defoliate every year with the cold temperatures? 

(Little tid-bit: my family, the Strickland's,  moved around the Isle of Wight area from Sizergh, England in 1670 and owned about 7,000 thousand acres. They eventually migrated into Lumberton area N.C., and then Southeastern Georgia around 1812)

4 hours ago, Jcalvin said:

I used to live on Williamsburg/Yorktown when I was young. I went to Virginia Beach area and Norfolk all the time. It's odd that I never noticed them, but I'm not surprised that they're there. Do they defoliate every year with the cold temperatures? 

(Little tid-bit: my family, the Strickland's,  moved around the Isle of Wight area from Sizergh, England in 1670 and owned about 7,000 thousand acres. They eventually migrated into Lumberton area N.C., and then Southeastern Georgia around 1812)

The only time I can recall them defoliating any was after an ice storm. Other than that, they tend to retain their foliage throughout winter and drop the old leaves in the spring as they begin new growth. I’ve witnessed the same when I was in Mississippi after an ice storm. Most of the trees I’ve shared on here are within their native range in zone 8a. Winters are typically mild. So far this winter, the coldest temperature I’ve recorded is 24.2 F. I know it’s been colder a bit farther inland and north of here, but I don’t know how low. 

AHS Heat Zone 7

On 11/7/2019 at 3:26 PM, SEVA said:

Norfolk, VA. Saw some small clumps of Spanish moss in the live oaks. There were so few, I almost didn't see it.

1107191116_HDR.jpg

Great post.  I've also seen small amounts of Spanish moss on trees off of Granby St.

On 2/21/2021 at 7:03 PM, VAPalms said:

Great post.  I've also seen small amounts of Spanish moss on trees off of Granby St.

Do you remember where off of Granby St.?

AHS Heat Zone 7

• 2 weeks later...