IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Looking for Caryota obtusa/gigas!

JenRiot321

Hi! I’ve been hoping to get a caryota gigas/obtusa for quite a while but I haven’t been able to make it happen. I would love to get a smallish tree up to about a 10 gallon but a seedling or two or fresh seed would make me just as happy! 

If you have anything that you’re looking to sell, please let me know!

I’m willing to drive within about 45ish minutes from San Diego (basically anywhere within the county or just north) or pay to ship here. Whatever is easiest for you! 

This is has been a dream species for me ever since I became interested in palms, and despite the fact that they’re not that uncommon, especially down here, I just can’t get my hands one one and that makes me sad to no end. 

Thanks for checking this out! I hope to hear from you! 

Jen

30 minutes ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Jungle Music has 2G for $60 and $3-5G for $95, 15G for $200.  I'm not sure about the shipping costs, but I'd think that a 2G wouldn't be all that expensive to ship.  Page 7 and 8:

http://www.junglemusic.net/search/palmprices.aspx

Sounds like there in san diego so there just down the road from Jungle music @JenRiot321 Definitely go visit @Phil they got tons of other palms too 

• Like 1

T J 

Thanks! I’ll have to check those out. I haven’t been there despite it being only 30-45 minutes away from me because the prices for most thing  he carries seem to be out of my range but for something like this it doesn’t seem to bad. Phil does have a pretty great selection though!

Every time I see a giant caryota growing in someone’s yard they take my breath away. I can’t get over how beautiful they are! I’m hoping mine will be the centerpiece of the front yard once we buy our first home! Just got to get my hands on one! Yay!

Back when i lived in Cali our local Home Depot would carry 15g sized Gigas for under 100$ They even had mule palms for around the same price 

T J 

2 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

our local Home Depot would carry 15g sized Gigas for under 100$

Wow! I’d love to come across a couple of those! It could explain why I’ve seen some really random, boring yards with gorgeous, enormous gigas planted in them in some parts of San Diego. Maybe i’ll get lucky one of these days!