Dimovi

Parajubaea Torallyi Germination

Dimovi

I just got these Mountain Coconuts to plant, but they seem a bit too green. Would they be able to germinate? I read it is pretty hard to germinate those anyway.  Should I remove the mesocarp (the green husk)?

I was planning on letting them dry for a few weeks, then a few weeks in the fridge, then soak them for a few days, then plant them halfway burried in topsoil/peat moss mix and leave them outside to experience daily temperature variation.

Does enyone have experience germinating Parajubaea Torallyi?

IMG_20191018_200344774_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191019_191126.jpg

IMG_20191019_191056.jpg

The Germinator

How did they turn out. Did they germinate?

Dimovi
8 hours ago, The Germinator said:

How did they turn out. Did they germinate?

I'm not sure yet. I kept the seeds in dry cool dry place for a few months then just a few weeks ago I put them in some coco coir. Nothing has germinating yet, but it looks like I am successfully starting to grow mold. Of the 25 seeds, only 8 looked somewhat mature. Of them 3 were kind of iffy.

Have you germinated those before?

It is so hard to find seeds and just as hard to germinate them I hear.

IMG_20200127_095127969_HDR.thumb.jpg.3812688fa934c420432cd0340202898c.jpg

The Germinator

Give them a fungicide bath then put them back in with a little more water and seal the tub tight. I keep mine in the tool shed where it gets real hot in the summer. That gets a lot of my seeds going. You might have to wait till it warms up though.

Tyrone

They can take 3 years or more to germinate. They certainly aren’t a species in a hurry to germinate.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• CodyORB
      By CodyORB
      I soaked them for 3 days (May 3-5) and placed in a 4:1 mixture of perlite and peat moss. 28 seeds split into 5 pots, 1 indoors (around 78F) and 4 outdoors (around 90F day - 75F night). Was expecting to wait 6 months to a year for germination. Surprisingly, the first to sprout was in the indoor pot! Since then I've moved all 5 into the garage (80's-90'sF) and I look forward to more action!
      A quick question, when is a good time to transplant it into its own pot with more nutritious soil?

• CodyORB
      By CodyORB
      I had a CIDP seed and 3 P. Dactyliferas  germinate roughly a week ago after spending 3-4 weeks in a moist perlite plate outside in north FL. I moved them into holepunched cups filled with a well-draining cactus soil kept moist to finish germination (+minute amounts of fungicide). When can I expect to see something pop up?

• Eric Thompson
      By Eric Thompson
      Hi folks just put up another video, stop on by if you have a chance. Basic seed germination as well as a look at my largest seed grown washy. 
      https://youtu.be/Cc1HQk7RtPw
    • TomJ
      By TomJ
      So in 2006 my first palm purchase ever included a 1 gallon P. Torallyi.  Not knowing how gig it would get I planted it out.  It survived my early years of under-watering ... full sun exposure.  Seems to love cold and hate humidity and heat.  Thought it was dead several different times, but it is still going. Hard to get pictures of it's size but the growing point is now about 12 feet up. measred around the base tonight and it is 10ft around.  120 inches or 305 cm.

• subsonicdrone
      By subsonicdrone
      well as you can see by my wall of germination attempts (some are other plants)

i have made many attempts and so far no sprouts (palm) until now!

6 little roots with a couple more looking like they may sprout also

should i pot these up in 1 gal now or wait a bit longer