IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis outdoors in San Francisco?

thallo

I found a beautiful 3G Hyophorbe lagenicaulis at an Oakland nursery. From what I have read, this palm is ok down to about 33-35F. The guy at the nursery said they don’t like cold/wet combo. Has anyone grown this planted outdoors in San Francisco? I’m in the Lower Haight close to market and Dolores with southeastern exposure and plenty of sun. Would this have a problem with our winters (assuming it never freezes)?

If so, will they thrive in a sunny window?

Thanks!

-Trey

BBE9BD05-EF96-4FA3-80F6-07A876A1DEF5.jpeg

Edited by thallo
  • Like 1

I’m on the opposite side of the world but I’d be willing to bet it’s no chance outside. Not enough warm even if it doesn’t get near freezing. Should be ok near a sunny window indoors, I had one inside that did fine for a while. 

• Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Interesting!

Okinawa - another part of the world! We are not that hot over here but have never seen any freezes -

and it grows like weed. It is probably really about the overall temps during the year. 

Otherwise a Ceroxylon is an absolute no-goer over here - way too warm at night for approx. 

eight months during the year... - and I would love to grow one.

best regards

Lars

• Upvote 2

I have noticed in Florida when you see specimens on the "edge areas"to our north, they never have the deep healthy color and appear weak and not very appealing...

What you look for is what is looking

I've visited SF in August from VA. I wore a cotton fisherman's knit sweater and a London Fog raincoat to go outdoors every morning. Strangest weather experience of my life. Bottles need daytime heat, 80-90F, and warm nights outdoors. Keep yours potted.

Welcome to PalmTalk.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

In Palermo (38° 10' 43" N), in a sheltered position south facing, grows quite well:

HyolagTro.jpg

Edited by pietropuccio
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

Thanks for all the information! I’m going to use a decorative pot and keep it inside my southeast facing window. 

Interestingly enough, we were downtown SF this past weekend and it hit 80F at noon while driving up to the bridge. We had just left Mel's diner. Great breakfast place btw 

20191006_123143.jpg

20191006_110804.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Compared to a coconut, Hyophorbe lagenicaulis is much more root hardy but not as leaf hardy. If you drop below 2C expect leaf damage. High summer heat and plenty of water are good for them. The colder it gets the drier they must be kept to prevent rot. In a protected spot, ie under plastic, in a cool climate they may be induced to survive, but they will never be a bulky specimen like in a warmer climate.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

My guess is a no go. However, I live in SF sunset district 1mile from the ocean with some of the coolest and wettest conditions.  Chambeyronia M, Pritchardia Hillibrandi, Dypsis Decepiens and Dypsis Onilahensis are growing well for me.  If you’re gonna try it, then plant it in full sun close to a dark painted wall...it works for me.

• Like 1

Dan

Foggy San Francisco

Average Monthly Hi 60.2 F

Average Monthly Lo 49.9 F

Avearge Monthy 55.2F

Average Summer Hi 61.8F

Average Winter Lo 45.8

Dan has a green thumb.  :greenthumb:    He is growing stuff I wouldn't try, and he is closer to the ocean than I !! 

San Francisco, California