IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fruit/Seed ID

SEVA

Does anyone know what these are? They were found washed up on the beach. There are 2 fruits and one with the fruit removed, revealing the seed. The fruit was sticky and almost web-like.

1018191856.jpg

1018191858.jpg

1018191858b.jpg

USDA Hardiness Zone 7b/8a

AHS Heat Zone 7

Terminal is catappa?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Terminalia

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

14 hours ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

Terminal is catappa?

14 hours ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

Terminalia

I have no clue.  The fruits and seeds I researched online look slightly different, but I'm not familiar.  I'm not sure where the fruits originated from, but these were found in Virginia Beach, VA. I don't know if they are mature/viable, but I'm going to attempt to germinate them.

The inside of the fruit reminds me of when you cut into aloe, if that helps.

AHS Heat Zone 7

4 minutes ago, SEVA said:

I have no clue.  The fruits and seeds I researched online look slightly different, but I'm not familiar.  I'm not sure where the fruits originated from, but these were found in Virginia Beach, VA. I don't know if they are mature/viable, but I'm going to attempt to germinate them.

The inside of the fruit reminds me of when you cut into aloe, if that helps.

Agree, doesn't look like Tropical Almond to me as well. Fruits on those are typically move oval/ lense shaped, and have a hard, Almond-Like shell around the kernel when you remove the outter skin.  Interesting.. stumped myself.  There's a page over on Palomar Colleges' website that discusses / has pictures of various sea drifting fruits / seeds but didn't see anything that resembled those fruits. 

On 10/19/2019 at 2:00 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Agree, doesn't look like Tropical Almond to me as well. Fruits on those are typically move oval/ lense shaped, and have a hard, Almond-Like shell around the kernel when you remove the outter skin.  Interesting.. stumped myself.  There's a page over on Palomar Colleges' website that discusses / has pictures of various sea drifting fruits / seeds but didn't see anything that resembled those fruits. 

I'm certainly not having much luck figuring it out.  Hopefully they germinate and can provide a clue.  If not, they might just remain unknown.

AHS Heat Zone 7