Sign in to follow this  
SEVA

Fruit/Seed ID

SEVA

Does anyone know what these are? They were found washed up on the beach. There are 2 fruits and one with the fruit removed, revealing the seed. The fruit was sticky and almost web-like.

1018191856.jpg

1018191858.jpg

1018191858b.jpg

Jerry@TreeZoo

Terminal is catappa?

Jerry@TreeZoo

Terminalia

SEVA
14 hours ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

Terminal is catappa?

14 hours ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

Terminalia

I have no clue.  The fruits and seeds I researched online look slightly different, but I'm not familiar.  I'm not sure where the fruits originated from, but these were found in Virginia Beach, VA. I don't know if they are mature/viable, but I'm going to attempt to germinate them.

The inside of the fruit reminds me of when you cut into aloe, if that helps.

Silas_Sancona
4 minutes ago, SEVA said:

I have no clue.  The fruits and seeds I researched online look slightly different, but I'm not familiar.  I'm not sure where the fruits originated from, but these were found in Virginia Beach, VA. I don't know if they are mature/viable, but I'm going to attempt to germinate them.

The inside of the fruit reminds me of when you cut into aloe, if that helps.

Agree, doesn't look like Tropical Almond to me as well. Fruits on those are typically move oval/ lense shaped, and have a hard, Almond-Like shell around the kernel when you remove the outter skin.  Interesting.. stumped myself.  There's a page over on Palomar Colleges' website that discusses / has pictures of various sea drifting fruits / seeds but didn't see anything that resembled those fruits. 

SEVA
On 10/19/2019 at 2:00 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Agree, doesn't look like Tropical Almond to me as well. Fruits on those are typically move oval/ lense shaped, and have a hard, Almond-Like shell around the kernel when you remove the outter skin.  Interesting.. stumped myself.  There's a page over on Palomar Colleges' website that discusses / has pictures of various sea drifting fruits / seeds but didn't see anything that resembled those fruits. 

I'm certainly not having much luck figuring it out.  Hopefully they germinate and can provide a clue.  If not, they might just remain unknown.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• sandgroper
      By sandgroper
      G'day all, just wondering what people think about the little coconut I've got as against the big one. The big one is a golden Malay dwarf, they are quite common in northern Western Australia and mine started out about the same size as the small one I have, I planted it 8 years ago now. The small one I bought about 3 years ago, does anyone think it may be a different variety? The reason I ask is that it is much slower growing than the large one, it is also much greener, the large one has a yellow stem to each frond and always has done even when it was small whereas the small palm has a green stem. The small one has never really been looked after over winters as against the big one which has always been protected in some way, up until this winter, yet the small one always seems to sail through winter almost unscathed. The small one I bought from a backyard nursery in the next suburb across from mine, they have lots of tropical plants they sell regularly but I don't know where they get their stock from. Anyway, curious to know what anyone thinks, any opinions are appreciated, cheers.

2 pics of the small palm and 1 pic of the large palm for comparison. 

• Lukey
      By Lukey
      Is anyone able to identify the variety of this coconut palm?  The nursery owner is not sure of the variety and unfortunately, he's doesn't seem interested enough to go ask his supplier. (I am hoping for them to be a Panama Tall).

Thanks!

• Petere
      By Petere
      Hello,
      My wife and I recently purchased a home with two of the same kind of palm trees. I've tried to research what kind they are but didn't realize how many varieties existed. Can someone please help me with the attached images below?

Thank you!

• mxcolin
      By mxcolin
      Anyone know what this tree is. The picture doesn’t do it justice but it’s so light green it’s almost blue. 

• Dimovi
      By Dimovi
      I just got these Mountain Coconuts to plant, but they seem a bit too green. Would they be able to germinate? I read it is pretty hard to germinate those anyway.  Should I remove the mesocarp (the green husk)?
      I was planning on letting them dry for a few weeks, then a few weeks in the fridge, then soak them for a few days, then plant them halfway burried in topsoil/peat moss mix and leave them outside to experience daily temperature variation.
      Does enyone have experience germinating Parajubaea Torallyi?