Sign in to follow this  

SEVA

Does anyone know what these are? They were found washed up on the beach. There are 2 fruits and one with the fruit removed, revealing the seed. The fruit was sticky and almost web-like.

1018191856.jpg

1018191858.jpg

1018191858b.jpg

Jerry@TreeZoo

Terminal is catappa?

Jerry@TreeZoo

Terminalia

SEVA
14 hours ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

Terminal is catappa?

14 hours ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

Terminalia

I have no clue.  The fruits and seeds I researched online look slightly different, but I'm not familiar.  I'm not sure where the fruits originated from, but these were found in Virginia Beach, VA. I don't know if they are mature/viable, but I'm going to attempt to germinate them.

The inside of the fruit reminds me of when you cut into aloe, if that helps.

Silas_Sancona
4 minutes ago, SEVA said:

I have no clue.  The fruits and seeds I researched online look slightly different, but I'm not familiar.  I'm not sure where the fruits originated from, but these were found in Virginia Beach, VA. I don't know if they are mature/viable, but I'm going to attempt to germinate them.

The inside of the fruit reminds me of when you cut into aloe, if that helps.

Agree, doesn't look like Tropical Almond to me as well. Fruits on those are typically move oval/ lense shaped, and have a hard, Almond-Like shell around the kernel when you remove the outter skin.  Interesting.. stumped myself.  There's a page over on Palomar Colleges' website that discusses / has pictures of various sea drifting fruits / seeds but didn't see anything that resembled those fruits. 

SEVA
On 10/19/2019 at 2:00 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Agree, doesn't look like Tropical Almond to me as well. Fruits on those are typically move oval/ lense shaped, and have a hard, Almond-Like shell around the kernel when you remove the outter skin.  Interesting.. stumped myself.  There's a page over on Palomar Colleges' website that discusses / has pictures of various sea drifting fruits / seeds but didn't see anything that resembled those fruits. 

I'm certainly not having much luck figuring it out.  Hopefully they germinate and can provide a clue.  If not, they might just remain unknown.