IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal rosei???

NatureGirl

When I was collecting seeds today, I was shown the Coolest 3 little Sabals, (believed to be Sabal rosei). I’m hoping to get some pics in a few days so you guys can tell me what u think. They were loaded with fruit. If anyone has any interest, let me know, and I can get lots. For now, I just took all I could carry in one hand. Second pic of cleaned fruit, tiny, plus one cut open.

5533F979-69C6-4A6E-A642-6AA7044A70BC.jpeg

22C415F0-2AA1-4D46-A1BA-61E07298C292.jpeg

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

Hey, Charlene,

Here’s a quote, I found about Rosei:

Slender palm 15m tall, trunk 15-30 cm in diameter breast high gray, smooth, leaves 10-30 evenly green, strongly costapalmate, filiferous, petioles 1.8-2.4 cm wide, 1-2 m long, hastula acute 5.1-7.0 cm long, glabrescent (often with lepidote pubescence on adaxial surface of midveins), margin of hastula flat and undulate, occasionally revolute, involute, or erect, segments 60-80 per leaf connate for 25% of their length, middle segment 55-110 cm long, 2.3-4.3 cm wide, 0.2-0.3 mm thick, apex bifurcate for 30-40 cm (rarely undivided), fruit oblate spheroidal, greenish brown black, medium to thick pericarp 15.3-22.4 mm in diameter, 13.5-20.1 mm high, seed strongly oblate concave, 10-15.5 mm in diameter, 6.4-8.7 mm high. (Eric S. botanist, H.P. Lou Gardens”

• Upvote 1

If anyone is interested in seeds of this Sabal (identity not positive) let me know, and I can get plenty of seeds. It fits description of S. rosei other than the tiny size of the seeds. All three palms are exactly the same, so, not likely a hybrid. $8/50 or $15/100

Here’s the only photo I received. Skinny trunk, inflorescences same length as leaves, fits, except small seed size. Note the ripe fruit. There’s actually three palms in a row, just can hardly tell in photo.

B567E266-DF4C-4BE3-BE78-726D8C36E348.jpeg

That doesn’t look the same at all to me. Yours looks much larger overall.